Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2015-16, Part II

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Saarijarvi could be there too next year. But won't Sproul have to hit waivers next year? Would think he'd probably get claimed, he could probably handle the #6 spot depending on the team.
Sproul will be subject to waivers next season, just like Ouellet, Marchenko and Jensen (Frk as well). Since Sproul was awarded CHL Defenceman of the Year once and made quite some progress, I do not expect him to go unclaimed at all. Frk might be sneaked through waivers and Jensen most likely will.

Gruß,
BSHH

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Sproul will be subject to waivers next season, just like Ouellet, Marchenko and Jensen (Frk as well). Since Sproul was awarded CHL Defenceman of the Year once and made quite some progress, I do not expect him to go unclaimed at all. Frk might be sneaked through waivers and Jensen most likely will.

Gruß,
BSHH

Sproul will clear waivers, especially at the beginning of the season when everyone's roster is full.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Sproul will clear waivers, especially at the beginning of the season when everyone's roster is full.

I'm not so sure about that. Teams will waive their 24-28 year old 13-15 NHL/AHL veterans and feel safe in the knowledge that they will go unclaimed while they look for some gems. Sproul's pedigree, size and handedness could be a boon to some team's pool.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Unless Holland moves some guys at the draft I have a feeling they'll start the season with a full roster

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - smith
Green

Then 2 of:
Marchenko
ouelette
Sproul
Jensen
KFQ

Talk about painting your self into a corner with good assets that everyone knows that you have to move or lose for free.

Really see us moving Smith in part of a bigger deal with a prospect and a roster player.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - smith
Green

Then 2 of:
Marchenko
ouelette
Sproul
Jensen
KFQ

Talk about painting your self into a corner with good assets that everyone knows that you have to move or lose for free.

Really see us moving Smith in part of a bigger deal with a prospect and a roster player.

I think Quincey will be out because of what he'll cost

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - smith
Green

Then 2 of:
Marchenko
ouelette
Sproul
Jensen
KFQ

With only 11 forwards under contract and/or RFAs (including Athanasiou, who could be sent down if needed), it's entirely possible the Wings keep 8 defensemen next year. The final roster spot could come to a battle between Sproul, Jensen and Frk.

Let's be realistic, though: these are not blue-chip prospects we are discussing here. Jensen will be 26 before the season starts next year; Sproul will turn 24 during the season. Both have shown positive traits, but neither has established themselves as an elite AHLer or earned an extended NHL call-up. We all think they might be claimed, but NHL prospects pools across the league are filled with players of their caliber. The Islanders, for instance, didn't even have room to sign Robbie Russo, a younger player than both Jensen and Sproul who appears to be as good a prospect as either (if not better).

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I think Quincey will be out because of what he'll cost

He wont cost much more than what he currently gets and realistically, hes probably one of our top 2/3 defenders on the team. Are you sure we can afford to throw away one of our few proven decent defenceman just because he will be 30 odd?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
He wont cost much more than what he currently gets and realistically, hes probably one of our top 2/3 defenders on the team. Are you sure we can afford to throw away one of our few proven decent defenceman just because he will be 30 odd?

Quincey is getting paid 4.25 mil this season...they can't afford to give him that again

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I know you are trying to be intentionally simple but we will also lose Richards/Helm(likely). So we will have more than enough to resign Quincey at his current rate. Howard is almost certainly moved as well.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We could probably sign him again. But then we are close to the cap most likely. Not to mention we have to give ouellet a shot

I'd love to keep Quincey. But he's too expensive and that roster spot has to be given to ouellet or someone maybe we could finally trade for a top 2 dman

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I know you are trying to be intentionally simple but we will also lose Richards/Helm(likely). So we will have more than enough to resign Quincey at his current rate. Howard is almost certainly moved as well.[
Have 58 mil tied up Nader a 73 mil cap so unless they intend to let Helm and Marchenko go...don't see it happening.Have to have a taker for Howard first

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I know you are trying to be intentionally simple but we will also lose Richards/Helm(likely). So we will have more than enough to resign Quincey at his current rate. Howard is almost certainly moved as well.

Not only about next season, unless we think 30 year old Quincey is looking for a one year deal. I don't believe he is. In his scenario it's more about the roster spot though, time to make room for others and it makes a ton of sense since he's only our #5 or so.

Trading all of Howard's deal will be easier said than done too. Plus a cap that runs the risk of stagnating. New deals for Mrazek and Dekeyser now, Tatar and Larkin soon. Now is the the time to pull the breaks on the older guys we have that aren't important going forward, to make sure we are able to keep the next generation. No more waiver losses who never even had a shot to make the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Howard is not so easy to be moved. If Howard is not moved, we have something like 3M cap space at next season even if all Quincey, Helm and Richards walking out. RFA extensions will eat all the cap space.

It very probable, we have to carry Howard for one extra season, and then hope the expansion draft just picks him away.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Howard is not so easy to be moved. If Howard is not moved, we have something like 3M cap space at next season even if all Quincey, Helm and Richards walking out. RFA extensions will eat all the cap space.

It very probable, we have to carry Howard for one extra season, and then hope the expansion draft just picks him away.

If those 3 walk then they have over 8 million more in space.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I'm not so sure about that. Teams will waive their 24-28 year old 13-15 NHL/AHL veterans and feel safe in the knowledge that they will go unclaimed while they look for some gems. Sproul's pedigree, size and handedness could be a boon to some team's pool.

Except he wouldn't be able to go to their pool. If claimed, he will need to be on the NHL roster for a period of time before sending him to the AHL again.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Except he wouldn't be able to go to their pool. If claimed, he will need to be on the NHL roster for a period of time before sending him to the AHL again.

I'm talking about a teams pool of assets. Clearly if he's waiver fodder he needs to be on the roster.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

How on earth are you going to justify calling someone simple and then stating Howard will "almost certainly be moved"?

Quincey coming back or not is complicated and depends on what the bottomline for all of the RFAs will be. Even then Holland might choose to pay Helm or a UFA not currently in the organization instead of him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Out of curiosity, for anyone who has been watching the Griffins, what is Russo's game like? Does the defensive awareness/attentiveness match the offensive production, or does he have to lean on his defensive partner for that?

I would describe him as solid in his own zone. Hes not a flashy offensive guy like a Karlsson or Subban. Hes just effective and ends up on the score sheet similar to how someone like Lidstrom played offensively I guess. Not saying hes that level but he just moves the puck well and has a solid shot from the point that gets through often.

Offense will be his calling card but its not like his defensive play has been a negative to the team like a Sproul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad