Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2014/15 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
But anyway, the thing I noticed with Mantha is that some games he just doesn't get the puck. and I'm not just saying that he doesn't go get the puck (which is often true). What I mean is his teammates don't pass him the puck very often. Like they go and get the puck, and Mantha is a prime candidate for a pass, and they give it to somebody else. Consistently, and particularly with the defensemen. I'm not saying there's some issue there, but it's a really weird thing to watch, and it's really obvious because Mantha spends a lot of his time standing there, as open as it gets. He's always a very solid target on the breakout, and they never give him the puck in doing it. and so I think that makes him seem a lot more useless than he is, because they leave him hanging like that VERY often. It's like somebody told them not to pass to Mantha on the breakout.

By comparison, Sproul has some of Mantha's bad habits (I think both of them have this Ovechkin-style unengaged posture when the puck isn't near them. They look like play isn't even going on), but the outcome isn't nearly as bad for him. He sees the puck a lot, and the fact that he's really, really open is a blessing and a big part of his game. But if they didn't pass to him, he'd look just as bad.

again, I'm not saying anybody is necessarily choosing not to pass to Mantha, but it's a helluva coincidence, all the same.

I'm not too concerned about his lack of production this season. He's been slotted on the 2nd or 3rd line most nights and the 2nd powerplay unit. He also played with three different centers due to injures to Nosek and Athanasiou. He's simply not going to be able to produce in that situation. Clearly the coaching staff and management are using this season to teach him and rid himself of bad habits.

He had issues with taking too many penalties early on in the season, and the last penalty he took was December 31. So he's improving there. Mantha also has about half as many shots as Pulkkinen has. If he played on the first line and first power play unit, and managed to shoot at a pace similar to Pulkkinen did this season he'd have plenty of more points.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
US college hockey a better league then the CHL is akin to saying CDN universuty football is better than the NCAA.

Get ******* real.

Theirs a reason why the vast majority if nhl players cime from the chl.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Mantha haters, you do realize in his first pro season he missed 2 months months with a broken leg, right? I will judge Mantha will a full season and training camp under his belt. Next year at this time I expect he'll be pushing for a job. Get some perspective, he's going to be a stud.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
What do you have against Mantha, really? I swear if you're not posting about how good Pulkkinen is, you're posting about how bad Mantha is. It's fine to have that opinion, but you rarely seem to explain why you think so or why you feel so darn strongly about him.

Again, bad isn't the right word. Frk and Tvrdon played badly for periods. Mantha has played uninspired, which to me is worse. He plays like he knows no matter what he will make the Red Wings. I just don't like that quality I have seen. I was hopeful after they drafted him and last season that he had turned the corner, but there are still shades of why he dropped to middle first round. So I like Mantha, and what he can bring, I just really really wish he would bring it consistently.

Mantha haters, you do realize in his first pro season he missed 2 months months with a broken leg, right? I will judge Mantha will a full season and training camp under his belt. Next year at this time I expect he'll be pushing for a job. Get some perspective, he's going to be a stud.

It's not his physicality that is lacking though.

Last edited by a moderator:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
US college hockey a better league then the CHL is akin to saying CDN universuty football is better than the NCAA.

Get ******* real.

Theirs a reason why the vast majority if nhl players cime from the chl.

A lot of high end skill comes out of Canadian juniors because its more similar to an NHL schedule but youre kidding yourself if you dont think its harder to dominate the NCAA than it is Canadian juniors. The average age of each league is probably almost 5 years apart.

Its not even close to your football comparison

loudernow*

A lot of high end skill comes out of Canadian juniors because its more similar to an NHL schedule but youre kidding yourself if you dont think its harder to dominate the NCAA than it is Canadian juniors. The average age of each league is probably almost 5 years apart.

The age difference is because a lot of NCAA players are playing in the U till their 20, then starting out as 20/21 year old rookies and playing varsity till their 24 +.
Most guys serious about the show go play against talent in the CHL.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

The age difference is because a lot of NCAA players are playing in the U till their 20, then starting out as 20/21 year old rookies and playing varsity till their 24 +.
Most guys serious about the show go play against talent in the CHL.

Sorry for going a little of topic but I have an interesting tidbit of information. The University of Alberta (roster of ex WHL kids) and Yale played an exhibition game in October. As far as ages go we are more or less talking about equal teams. I am not exactly sure how good Yale is but they are currently ranked 15th in the nation and won a National Championship just 2 years ago.

U of A won the game 4-0. This U of A hockey team is more of an exception than a rule (as far as CIS talent goes) but I would be surprised if they couldn't hold their own in Div 1. Hell of a team.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You put the top ohl team against the top div 1 ncaa and the games wont be close and thats just the O, nevermind the q or w.

And it completely disregards the age benefit the ncaa owns.

Come on, while ncaa is good hockey no question, the chl is where you go if you want your best **** at the nhl, jyst like ncaa football or basketball over ciau sports.

Keep the respect where it belongs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Anywhere to see the Griffins lines for their games?

Lines today:

#13 Tvrdon - #21 Miele - #9 Zengerle
#8 Mantha - #23 Athanasiou - #27 Frk
#12 Porter - #19 Nosek - #29 Ferraro
#10 hoggan - #22 Aubry - #55 Bruton

#4 Paetsch - #7 Sproul
#18 Lashoff - #14 Jensen
#2 Czarnowczan - #5 Nightingale

#34 Mrazek

No Ouellet... when did they get this Jared Nightingale, 32-year-old 6'3 right-handed defenceman? Is he a callup from Toledo like Scott Czarnowczan?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No Ouellet... when did they get this Jared Nightingale, 32-year-old 6'3 right-handed defenceman? Is he a callup from Toledo like Scott Czarnowczan?

His last name is really Nightingale? Holy ****.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
AA uses his speed to get a breakaway but hits the post.

Andy Miele took a shot near the head and skated slowly to the bench.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
But anyway, the thing I noticed with Mantha is that some games he just doesn't get the puck. and I'm not just saying that he doesn't go get the puck (which is often true). What I mean is his teammates don't pass him the puck very often. Like they go and get the puck, and Mantha is a prime candidate for a pass, and they give it to somebody else. Consistently, and particularly with the defensemen. I'm not saying there's some issue there, but it's a really weird thing to watch, and it's really obvious because Mantha spends a lot of his time standing there, as open as it gets. He's always a very solid target on the breakout, and they never give him the puck in doing it. and so I think that makes him seem a lot more useless than he is, because they leave him hanging like that VERY often. It's like somebody told them not to pass to Mantha on the breakout.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Whenever I catch a Griffins game a lot of the time I'm say "Give him the puck! Now! Pass it! Quick!" etc.

Also, AA is good. Another breakaway with a post.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Zengerle has 11 points in 12 games in the month of February. Looks like playing with Andy Miele has its benefits :laugh:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Mrazek earns his third shutout in his fifth start since returning from Detroit.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Grand Rapids hasn't lost a game all month. They're 10-0-2 on their current streak. Two points from being first in the Western Conference and three from first place in the league. Where the Blashill haters at?

Anchor Town*

He's having growing pains playing in a pro league. Big deal. Very few rookies actually dominate in the AHL. He's playing a secondary scoring role on a relatively deep team (when they are healthy and Pulkkinen was on the team). Jurco had a much better second year in the league. And no, Larkin is not more valuable than Mantha right now.

Larkin is undoubtedly more valuable than Mantha right now

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Bob Kaser @bkaser1

Remarkable run for Griffins!! 5-0 over Chicago, extends road win streak to franchise-tying 7th in a row, outscoring opponent, 32-4.

8th straight win overall, 10-0-2 last 12, 14-1-2 past 17. Back-to-back shutouts for Mrazek, 3 SO last 5 gms

Damn @ bolded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad