Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey_00*

moneyp said:
Reprinted from another post:

"My thoughts on Grant Fuhr can be summed up like this:

Goalie A: 238-124-41, .657 Win%, 3.54 GAA, .875 Sv%
Goalie B: 226-117-54, .659 Win%, 3.69 GAA, .866 Sv%

Pretty close, right? Goalie A has a slight advantage in terms of GAA and Save percentage.

Goalie B is Grant Fuhr during his time with Edmonton.

Goalie A is Edmonton's OTHER goalies during the same time period.

No, I don't think Fuhr was "hands down" the best goaltender of the 80's, when he often wasn't appreciably better than the guy he was backing up. He basically split time with Andy Moog while Mooger was there, got one season (1987-88) as the dominant guy in the net, than was replaced by Ranford in two years. He won the Cups, which is what everyone remembers, but Moog got the team to the Finals in '83, and Ranford won the Cup after a good portion of the team left. I think they would have won if they had started Moog, who was 7-0 in the playoffs during that period.

He WAS an excellent player, better than his numbers for a variety of reasons and very exciting to watch. He's also a good guy, and he got terribly shafted by the league's substance abuse policy. While I'm glad he got a day in the sun, I think he was a marginal HOF selection."

moneyp.............

How many games did those Edmonton backups play in comparison to Grant Fuhr?.......I mean it's the same thing with Manny LeGace in Detroit who almost always posts up better averages and save percentages than the starters in Detroit but he also only plays a fraction of the games that the starters there play.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Corey Schwab's numbers the last couple of years put Martin Brodeur's to shame, heh.

The Oilers went with Fuhr when it really mattered, that all I need to know. Those Fuhr vs other EDM goalies stats mean nothing.

(Moog was great too, I loved him in Montreal)

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
"If I had to play one game for everything I owned, I would want Grant Fuhr in net for me"

---- Wayne Gretzky.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
David Puddy said:
Here is a link to Daryl Shilling's The Hockey Project study of "Hall of Fame Monitor: Goaltenders." Shilling awards points for accomplishments in 16 categories to judge whether or not a goaltender has the numbers to gain entrance to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Hey!!!
Its my research!!! :):)

Daryl Shilling said:
My monitor inspired a read of the site, Roman Nepomnyaschev, to build his own system for application to goaltenders, and sent it to me. I present the results here, but the work here is completely and totally Roman?s baby.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
pnep said:
Hey!!!
Its my research!!! :):)
Sorry pnep. I knew that you contributed to The Hockey Project, but I read the page a long time ago. I thought of the page during this Grant Fuhr discussion and linked to it.

I find your work very interesting, and I would love to see Hall of Fame Monitors for both forwards and defensemen. I am curious where Peter Forsberg stands right now. I don't think he has the career numbers to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

KariyaIsGod*

Watch the 1987 Canada Cup and see why Grant was so great. Watch game 2 in overtime. God he was good.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
DrMoses said:
Watch the 1987 Canada Cup and see why Grant was so great. Watch game 2 in overtime. God he was good.

Oh yes Good Lord was he ever stellar in Game 2 of the '87 Canada Cup. In overtime especially. Krutov, Kamensky, Kasatonov all had stellar scoring chances that were for sure goals but they didnt go in. He was just flat out clutch! And to say he won because of the team he was on, well you can say it was a good team, but if you put John Vanbiesbroukc in there (which is weird that he's all of the sudden been compared to Fuhr) you dont see Edmonton win 4 Cups in 5 years.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
monkey_00 said:
moneyp.............

How many games did those Edmonton backups play in comparison to Grant Fuhr?

Monkeyman, have a look at the W-L-T records I posted and you'll get an idea.

403 decisions for those other goalies to 397 for Fuhr. Basically, we're talking Moog and Ranford here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad