Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I run, don’t walk to the radio or tv to turn off Dreger whenever he talks. He’s harmless but just so much nothing coming out of his mouth that I refuse to listen to another word. I’ve wasted too much of my life hearing him yammer on in circles saying nothing.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I would guess that Adams already had a conversation with Terry to the effect of, Donny is underperforming, and I think a coaching change after the season is going to be needed to move the franchise forward. Let's face it, KA is not going to mention his own shortcomings when it comes to moving the team forward.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Why now? I’m happy and all, just weird timing. I guess it’s sneaking it in before playoff stories take over.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If it's Appert, we won't know until after the Amerks season/playoffs. They really have no reason to rush the decision. If they like Appert and what they have there, I could see them keeping him in Rochester for the time being.

My ever evolving wild guess/theory is that Ruff probably got in the ear with Pegula or said something Terry liked or something he disliked of the perception of Granato (since Lindy coached against him), decided to fire Granato, which was outside Adams plan/timeline, and there will be an immediate choice (Ruff) for a short term hire, so that Ellis gets more time behind the bench as an assistant, learns under Ruff a couple years or even one year, and then Ellis gets promoted to Head Coach, and Appert gets promoted to Assistant Coach so that Ellis has someone with some sort of head coaching experience he can lean into if needed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If it's Appert, we won't know until after the Amerks season/playoffs. They really have no reason to rush the decision. If they like Appert and what they have there, I could see them keeping him in Rochester for the time being.

My ever evolving wild guess/theory is that Ruff probably got in the ear with Pegula or said something Terry liked or something he disliked of the perception of Granato (since Lindy coached against him), decided to fire Granato, which was outside Adams plan/timeline, and there will be an immediate choice (Ruff) for a short term hire, so that Ellis gets more time behind the bench as an assistant, learns under Ruff a couple years or even one year, and then Ellis gets promoted to Head Coach, and Appert gets promoted to Assistant Coach so that Ellis has someone with some sort of head coaching experience he can lean into if needed.

Or they looked at the huge backslide in the standings and general unpreparedness of the team and made the easy decision without it being some backroom conspiracy

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Well this was a necessary first step. And an obvious first step. But i wasn’t sure it was going to happen (I was cautiously optimistic).

So I’m happy

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Or they looked at the huge backslide in the standings and general unpreparedness of the team and made the easy decision without it being some backroom conspiracy
Come on, can't we have some fun with this, hahaha.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Call me crazy but would a name like Q interest you guys?

Or would that upset the fanbase or organizational power structure. He would have the ear of the young guys no doubt, and I think he might help change a culture for you guys like he did for us.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011

Or would that upset the fanbase or organizational power structure. He would have the ear of the young guys no doubt, and I think he might help change a culture for you guys like he did for us.
I don’t think he’s been reinstated by the NHL.

I think the media would hate it. For whatever reason, hockey media seems to be very liberal (this is not a political statement, just an observation) and are very quick to jump on things like this. I have a feeling the general response by the media would be so overwhelmingly negative - you’d wind up seeing him be let go before he even coaches a game.

Reactions: Dingo44

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What was the statement Adams put out that leads people to believe they want to go in different direction and not hire another 1st time NHL coach?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Someone pointed out that he’s been away from the game for over 3 years, and I’m not sure the game is coached the same. Would he still be among the best?

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Just look at who Jim Nil last interviewed and interview the same ones. Take his second choice.

I’m not above copying off the paper of the head of the class.
Not opposed to this. I feel like Dallas is probably the or one of the best run franchises atm, just see who they almost hired and put that person at the top of the interview pile.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad