Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Lindy Ruff should be the new head coach by the end of the week, if Adams has any sense and isn't holding out for his buddy in CAR.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If Ruff's demise was the result of bad GM moves around goaltending and injuries to key players, that's even more reason to not consider him for the Buffalo job.

Look, it's not a bad idea. It's just a kind of lazy, expedient idea, which sadly probably appeals to ownership and could very well happen.

Ruff isn’t my first choice but I don’t find him to be a lazy idea. He took a very young Jersey squad and really had them on an upward trend. He has a successful track record.

We can’t be expecting (though we can hope) for a coach to come in and win a Stanley Cup in the next few seasons. The realistic goal needs to be to make the Buffalo Sabres a credible hockey franchise. Sure, not hockey heaven, but the bleeding needs to stop before the healing can start.

Ruff does appeal to me there.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

Dahlin definitely wants to win sounds like he is taking charge definitely future captain. Who are the a's though? Thompson and tuch seem like the obvious choice but that's on the lockerroom. Shaky year but I don't doubt the team's talent or effort

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
In order of what I'd want to happen..

Berube
Broudreau
Lindy
Peca

-Berube has a Stanley cup championship and had a good run with the Blues
-Broudreau has taken almost every team he's coached on a playoff run. His recent stint in Vancouver worries me but he has playoff experience
-Lindy because he has a long history with the franchise but the devils are a similar team to the Sabres so IDK if he'd be the right match
-Peca is the only rookie head coach I'd consider. He's familiar with the org and the players but if you bring him in, he MUST have an assistance with NHL head coaching experience (maybe Lindy?)

I didn't include Gallant because he has a rough track record of getting fired from good situations which leaves me with question marks on him. I also feel like he'd bump heads with Terry a lot
Lindy Ruff seems like a possibility given the timing and connections to Buffalo, Adams and Pegula.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
I don't know that he is the best choice for the job but I would be hyped to have Lindy back. ESPECIALLY if it also meant a permanent transition back to black and red jerseys.

Berube I don't have a good feeling about, I feel like he wouldn't last long.
Broudreau guarantees you playoffs. And maybe he becomes Andy Reid here and translates all his regular season success into championships.

I'd love Peca on the staff, but as HC? I dunno about that.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but here's my 2 cents. I hope it's not Appert. I have nothing against Seth, but like the others, he has no experience as head coach of a NHL team. With Boudreau, Gallant, etc available, we need to snag one of those now. Their teams make the playoffs regularly - I don't expect one of them to have us make it next season, but if we did, that would be good. No Lindy, please. He had his run. He couldn't get his former young team to the playoffs.

Maybe keeping Bales is a good thing? Marty Wilford? What about Ellis though? I want him nowhere near our bench. As a development coach, who has he properly developed? Asking sincerely, I don't know who he coached, and made a difference, all I know is I want him no where near the bench any longer.

Last year, during my drive back home to Virginia after my annual Wings-n-Weck Pilgrimage to Buffalo, I listed to the NHL network announce all kinds of off-season, impactful moves except for one specific team. :huh:

Maybe this is the start of some of the, in my opinion, big moves needed to get this team into the playoffs, but time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willgamesh

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't know that he is the best choice for the job but I would be hyped to have Lindy back. ESPECIALLY if it also meant a permanent transition back to black and red jerseys.

Berube I don't have a good feeling about, I feel like he wouldn't last long.
Broudreau guarantees you playoffs. And maybe he becomes Andy Reid here and translates all his regular season success into championships.

I'd love Peca on the staff, but as HC? I dunno about that.
As long as Peca is under contract I don't think Buffalo can go after him. The rangers would have to give permission and I dont see it happening for a lateral move.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Tell me ownership isn't looking real hard at its GM wondering why the premature, multi-year extension to a coach who is getting canned as said extension just kicks in. I don't think Adams survives the purge.
It's a headscratcher for sure. Do coaches get signing bonuses?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
1713284017301.png

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

An actual good veteran NHL head coach. They haven’t tried that yet… lol

Bylsma was the only coach they hired that was previously an NHL head coach. Krueger doesn’t count. He was an interim head coach for 1/2 a season (lockout year) and out of hockey for like 6 years (outside of coaching 1 tournament) when Buffalo hired him.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I’m really hoping for Craig Berube. Peca would be fine. Wouldn’t be thrilled about a Ruff return (good coach, game might’ve passed him by).

Going with any internal candidate would make my head explode though.
You can talk the "might've" from your post and it would be more accurate. That said, this is exactly where i am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad