Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Thanks Donnie for a decent run with a young crew. I'll have some positive memories of him moving forward, though it was 100% time to move on. Always appreciated his passion and individual development, but always wished for more in-game and planning.

Jeremy White saying his Super Secret Sabres Source thinks retaining Ellis and Wilford hints at Appert getting the promotion. I don't think that's what any of us want and I have a hard time believing that Adams doesn't see the need for experience behind the bench and a new voice. And no Adams isn't going anywhere this off-season. He deserves a chance to jump this build into the next phase this summer, which was always the plan imo

This is going to shock the players, hopefully in a positive way and into a summer dedicated to improvement.
Adams had the chance to jump this build into the next phase for the past 2 summers. Why do you want him to have a 3rd?

Reactions: Chainshot

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think whatever little success Granato found with this group... was less his ability as a coach, and more that we have some ridiculously talented players on this team that busted out (if you can call it that) once the Kreuger handcuffs were taken off.

Letting the kids play was a way to bring in some good vibes and make for some entertaining hockey for a few years, but it's not really coaching, and was always kinda doomed to crash into the wall once the league caught on and there were no adjustments to be made.

That said, he seems like a good guy and I think for a few years this group needed a players coach to shake off all the toxicity in the locker room. Wish him the best... but please, please find a coach that can hammer some real NHL structure into this group.

Last edited:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Because the Pegulas are going to be paying Granato for the next two years not to coach. So they have the final say. Adams could have said "I think we should get a new coach" but without the Pegula's approval, it’s not happening.
They always have the final say. But if Adams said we need to fire Granato and pegula said ok, it’s still Adams decision.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Why does anyone think it will be anyone other than Appert, considering all of the smoke around him being the Sabres next HC the past few weeks?

Also remember the weird game where he came up to be behind the bench when Donny was sick? It's Appert folks. They'll pretend to do a search and then give it to him.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Those are coaching concerns, though.

What you need from a coach is driven by what you have on the roster and the expectations you have for the team.

If Appert or Ellis are the next head coach, those questions will still be out there.
Well I was primary confused by your first paragraph, which was not coaching and which you called out as your biggest concern.
My biggest concern is that they had a team that was bottom 5 in both payroll and experience this season and we might not see changes in the roster that change that this offseason.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Because the Pegulas are going to be paying Granato for the next two years not to coach. So they have the final say. Adams could have said "I think we should get a new coach" but without the Pegula's approval, its not happening.

Every owner has the final say on any decision involving money. Do you think any GM can just fire a coach or retain salary on a contract without the owner knowing?

Reactions: vcv

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Almost every business owner (not just sports, all businesses) cut costs during and post covid. The fact that we reset the rebuild at that time as well created the perfect storm for this narrative.

Hiring guys like Karmanos and Ventura, as well as all the long term extensions should have put this silly narrative to bed.

Back to the coaching discussion, pencil me down for Peca.

I'm not the type that has the pendulum reaction, I never want the disciplinarian, I never want the retread.

Give me the next great coach and let him grow with the boys.
Peca is the weirdest prediction. He literally has no HC experience. Even Appert has more experience, and he's seen as the "no experience" option.

Reactions: Jacob582

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The game has certainly changed, but Ruff, if he weren’t a prior Sabres coach, I think would be getting more discussion here for his experience. A Cup appearance, 4 conference final appearances, and even 2 playoff round wins since our drought started.
And an inability to lead a young Devils team into the playoffs make me question if he can lead and even younger Sabres team to the post season dance. I'll pass.

Reactions: MacOfNiagara

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Lets be clear about this, this wasn't Adams decision.

This was the Pegula's deciding enough was enough.

And its encouraging, because it means the Pegulas at least are still aware the Sabres exist.
It wasn't even Terry. Michael, Laura, Jessica, Kelly and Matthew had an intervention.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Peca and berube would be at the top of my list without really do much research into who is or isn't available

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I mean it’s great news.

But holy crap if he had done this in November we might have turned this around. It was so obvious we were going nowhere.

I am hoping for Bruce Boudreau.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

And an inability to lead a young Devils team into the playoffs make me question if he can lead and even younger Sabres team to the post season dance. I'll pass.
That is on their GM's inability to get quality goaltending for Lindy & Hamilton's injury more than the coaching job, IMO.

Reactions: Dingo44

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
This just had to happen. Pleasantly surprised they did it so quickly too, did not expect that. I do wish the best to Donnie though, I really liked him as a person and he was very likeable in interviews and with the players, hopefully he finds another job elsewhere.

Hopefully they take the summer to find the right fit coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad