Grade the Devils trade deadline deals

Let's grade the Devils trade deadline deals! How did Fitz do?

• A

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • B

Votes: 47 39.8%
  • C

Votes: 53 44.9%
  • D

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • F

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Fitz made 4 deals. How do you think he did? I am going with a C. Would have like to seen him get a little more for Tyler. I was somewhat puzzled by the Allen deal, but it became better by getting rid of VTec. I thought the Miller was good.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hard to judge as the fact we had to make these trades at all is a sign of how much of a failure the season was, which clouds a lot.

Somewhere between a C+ or a B-. Counting on Allen to be next year's backup seems a bit foolish even with how cheap his contract is. Getting out of Vitek's contract was good business though.

Toffoli return is mid, no way to sugar coat that, though it was a poor market today.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
B

The Toffoli return wasn't good.

Getting Vitek off the books for next year without having to send a 2nd or 3rd ourselves or god forbid buy him out is HUGE

Jake Allen for $1.9 million to backup next year is a good move.

I didn't expect more for Miller than what he returned.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Allen trade was an F-. Everything else was fine.
I HATED it before it was announced that Montreal is retaining HALF of it.

A 3rd round pick on a $1.9 million backup, so that Daws/Schmid aren't on the opening night roster next year and hopefully don't have to play more than maybe a few games combined is worth it.

I doubt he'll reach 40 games for it to turn into a 2nd.

Reactions: glenwo2 and HBK27

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Toffoli deal isnt great or even good. Its not bad, but maximum is okay. Still better than sign him - he wants more and its not a good fit.
Miller deal is good. Buy for 5th, sell for 4th. We can sign him if we need this summer.
Allen deal is okay if he is okay, deal is good if he is good or very good. Even if he is very good, we will pay better pick, but he will be good.
Vanecek trade is very very good. We have cap space for making big goalie trade.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I may be the lone "A" vote but my expectations even 3 or 4 days ago were that Toffoli would get re-signed, maybe Brendan Smith gets moved, the Markstrom deal falls apart, and then Fitz panics and trades a 4th for Pat Maroon or something.

So relative to that, this was a huge win. We sold the guys we needed to sell, added a capable backup for under 2m, kicked Vanecek to the curb and possibly upgraded, and above all, sent a clear message that this season wasn't good enough.

Vanecek gone, Schmid to the minors, Daws gets the break he deserves, and ultimately we didn't make some lip service "there's still a chance!" addition at the cost of future assets.

• Haha
Reactions: tailfins

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
B.

I think some of the other winger deals are comparable to Toffoli’s price. B

The Devils goaltending sucked and Fitz paid a low coast to try something new. He could circle back to other options in the summer. None of the top goalies were traded. Those teams played themselves. I wished this happened sooner. Should be a C. (But Fitz’s bad luck, allowed the Devils to keep their 2024 1st round draft pick.) B

Miller was great asset management. 7th D for a 4th round draft pick. A

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With the Schneider buyout off the books next year, we may wind up paying less for goalies next year than we did with the Vanecek/Blackwood combo + Schneider buyout from last year.

Depending if there's any retention on Markstrom.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I gave it a B because there was no big splash or major get, but a B is solid work. Grabbed a bunch of assets that can be flipped, got rid of an albatross contract, got a quality veteran backup, and made room for the younger guys (Nemec, Hatakka were mentioned in the press conference) or for signings / trades.

Reactions: theoptimist

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think he gets a solid 8/10 on the day. A decent quality backup getting only 1.9 for 1 more year. And we add another pretty talented goalie that gets to show what he can do down the stretch — while more importantly, we take out the trash that is Vitek’s contract.

The Toffoli and Miller deals are what they are. That’s just what the market was and he got all he could. What can you do?

It’s just really frustrating that one of these goalie moves couldn’t have come before the season was already toast. But I’m sure these GMs were holding out as long as they could.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
toff trade was straight trash
allen trade was garbage
miller trade trash
vitek trade was great

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Toffoli deal was disappointing, but probably the best we could have gotten in this market. Teams just aren't willing to give up serious assets for rental wingers. Trading him was the right decision, signing him long term would have been a disaster.

Allen, I'm fine with because we hedged appropriately. The risk is pretty well managed and he will help stop the bleeding.

Nice to get an asset for Miller. KK for VV can't be anything but a win.

Beggars can't be choosers. We all wanted the team to fire Ruff, sell our UFAs, and make some goaltending moves. here it is. Quite frankly I'm shocked at the reactions, like some people really thought we were going to trade Holtz and a 2nd for Ken Dryden or something.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Was an F- after the Allen deal. Becomes a C- since he was able to trade vanecek without actually attaching an asset.

Toffoli return was an F.
Allen trade is a D. If it becomes a 2nd round pick it’s an F-
Miller return was a B even if I disagree with the decision.
Vanecek gone is an A.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Toffoli deal was disappointing, but probably the best we could have gotten in this market. Teams just aren't willing to give up serious assets for rental wingers. Trading him was the right decision, signing him long term would have been a disaster.

Allen, I'm fine with because we hedged appropriately. The risk is pretty well managed and he will help stop the bleeding.

Nice to get an asset for Miller. KK for VV can't be anything but a win.

Beggars can't be choosers. We all wanted the team to fire Ruff, sell our UFAs, and make some goaltending moves. here it is. Quite frankly I'm shocked at the reactions, like some people really thought we were going to trade Holtz and a 2nd for Ken Dryden or something.

Fitz still wants to sign Toffoli though, just not at whatever his current term ask is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad