Grade The Canes Draft Weekend

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Draft picks?

Hanifin I'm ecstatic with. The rest? I have no ****ing idea.

Trades?

Yes please. Very happy with Ronnie on this front.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
A-

Not the perfect weekend, but they nabbed Hanifin, settled the goalie situation, and grabbed a Top-4 D on a bridge contract to give our young D time to develop.

If drafts like this are what we can expect during Francis' reign as GM, I'm pumped for the future.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Hanifin/Lack/Wiz.

The offseason grade still has a lot to be determined though, with Ward/Staal/Skinner/Semin all up in the air.

And maybe unload Liles as well for some extra credit? Probably harder to do without the draft picks though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd give a solid A+ if not for a 2nd rounder that I didn't personally agree with given the options, but that's a very small discrepancy in the long-run.

Solid A

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
They got the (near) consensus best available/top defender that we've been hoping for for years. They upgraded slightly in goal and added a top 4 defender making $4m this year then $3m next without having to overpay in free agency. They only had to give up a 3rd rounder and a 7th. But they had like 14 other picks, so who really cares about that. Hard to give this anything lower than an A.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Bojangles.jpg

I'm going to go B+. Happy with Hanifin, don't know about the rest.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Love the Lack and Wiz deals. Now if we could somehow land Oduya or similar dman to play with Faulk, we're set. I highly doubt ,however, that we sign another top 4 d. Maybe someone like Gleason though...

Anyway, I really know nothing of the guys picked outside of Hanifin. The Roy pick sounds interesting. All the others...meh...I'm elated with Hanifin and the two trades. I give the draft a B. If we had gone for Bittner or Kylington instead of that Aho kid, it'd be an easy A from me, but GMRF and co. evidently have a plan for their prospects so I'll trust their judgment.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Very impressed with GMRF this weekend. He has really been shrewd with his trades since becoming the GM. Hanifin was an easy pick and it's hard to judge anything ouside of the first round until waiting a few years. Don't think you can justify anything below an A.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Love the Hanifin pick, think he did well with the trades - got a good goalie while saving money and strengthened our defence. I liked his goalie pick in the 4th, but not understanding all the Q picks and those that seemed reaching for where we were picking - may pan out/may not, like another picks, I guess. All in all, I liked it and will keep my fingers crossed. B+

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
First round and trades were grade A level work.

Rest of the picks were B to B- range.

Solid A-/B+

If we can land an Oduya, Ehrhoff, or Martin type in UFA on a short-term deal this offseason gets an A from me on the whole.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Didn't like trading our 3rd round pick. Didn't like any of our 2nd day picks to be totally honest. I felt like Aho would have been a great 3rd round pick. There was too much talent on the board to go there. Not sure how I feel about the Dobby/Lack exchange. Didn't like picking up salary today. If not for coming away with Hanifin, I would probably give this day a D. He bumped it to a C+.

I'm sure Wiz is going to do fine for us, but I am unsure he's the type of guy we needed back there. We didn't do anything splashy, which we should have, and made any franchise direction changing moves. It seems like they're content once again with shifting small parts out for other small parts and fielding the same lineup perpetually. No decision on Ward. No decision on Staal. No decision on Skinner. No decision on Semin. Replaced Sekera with Wiz. Shrug. More of the same. We're probably not a better team today than we were at last trade deadline.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Didn't like trading our 3rd round pick. Didn't like any of our 2nd day picks to be totally honest. I felt like Aho would have been a great 3rd round pick. There was too much talent on the board to go there. Not sure how I feel about the Dobby/Lack exchange. Didn't like picking up salary today. If not for coming away with Hanifin, I would probably give this day a D. He bumped it to a C+.

I'm sure Wiz is going to do fine for us, but I am unsure he's the type of guy we needed back there. We didn't do anything splashy, which we should have, and made any franchise direction changing moves. It seems like they're content once again with shifting small parts out for other small parts and fielding the same lineup perpetually. No decision on Ward. No decision on Staal. No decision on Skinner. No decision on Semin. Replaced Sekera with Wiz. Shrug. More of the same. We're probably not a better team today than we were at last trade deadline.

We haven't even hit July 1 yet

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
We haven't even hit July 1 yet

True. But draft weekend is a place deals get done. Additionally, we already increased our payroll to the point where I doubt we're going to be very active on July 1st. I am open to being proven wrong, but as it stands it looks like we're going to march forward with the same attitude. If the core of this team looks the same as it did this season and the what.... at least five previous? How can we be excited about that when we know how the story goes?

Look at what teams like Edmonton and Buffalo did this weekend. That's how you make sure you're not in the absolute basement again. Even Toronto has some irons in the fire about some big moves. You're not going to dance if you can't pick a partner.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
A-

Not the perfect weekend, but they nabbed Hanifin, settled the goalie situation, and grabbed a Top-4 D on a bridge contract to give our young D time to develop.

If drafts like this are what we can expect during Francis' reign as GM, I'm pumped for the future.

What he said.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Thing is, and I posted it in the other thread, we only have 4 spots to fill, 2 of which will go to inexpensive RFAs in Nash and Nestrasil, and it's possible either Ryan or McGinn fills the other hole up front, so basically 10 million to play around with and get a partner for Faulk under contract, and still have significant cap space.

So the only big remaining question is what we are looking at in terms of our underachievers from last season bouncing back, if anyone takes a step back, and who takes that next step developmentally. And the good news there is that there's a hell of a lot more room for the bouncebacks and further development then there is for declines on this team.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
True. But draft weekend is a place deals get done. Additionally, we already increased our payroll to the point where I doubt we're going to be very active on July 1st. I am open to being proven wrong, but as it stands it looks like we're going to march forward with the same attitude. If the core of this team looks the same as it did this season and the what.... at least five previous? How can we be excited about that when we know how the story goes?

Look at what teams like Edmonton and Buffalo did this weekend. That's how you make sure you're not in the absolute basement again. Even Toronto has some irons in the fire about some big moves. You're not going to dance if you can't pick a partner.
I mean, I understand what you're saying but that list of players you listed have already been linked to either signing extensions or staying here unless the cards were really stacked in our favor (or at least that's what I think I've skimmed through). I didn't expect any more out of this draft trade wise. I could see Skinner moved more towards the start of the season, but I always felt we were going to go into next season with pretty much the same roster. Keeping Eric also leaves open the possibility of a big trade deadline deal.

And Edmonton and Buffalo already had the cards in their hand to make their moves. I feel another year of suck and a trade or two at the deadline will line us up for a somewhat similar position for next year's draft.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The word around the Twittersphere is that Francis had a couple offers for Skinner, but none were quite enough to make him pull the trigger. The belief is that it may be revisited later in the summer.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I suppose I just grow weary of betting on the same horse because he looks like a thoroughbred in July and then limps out of the gate in October to the same sad song we've been hearing for the past several seasons. It's time for new blood for new blood's sake. This leadership group isn't getting the job done. I was hopeful we would have made one big trade this weekend to put the rest of the guys on notice, but no such luck.

Teams in the basement don't hang on to the aging stars. Eric Staal needs to be playing on a contender at this stage. Semin needs to be bought out. Jordan can stay if he wants, but he needs to be on board with the idea that we're going to be a bad team again next season regardless. We still have enough players to prop us up into the portion of the draft where we miss the stars and land solid players, but that's not good enough. We either need to get good or get bad and we're doing neither and this draft weekend was further confirmation of that concept. Yes, the Hanifin pick is huge. But 99% of Hurricanes fans pushed the button on that pick. It was an absolute no brain decision.

We need new players to watch. Players that haven't frustrated us for years with strong words in early October about how hard they worked during the offseason only to demonstrate that it did nothing for their game. I'm just sick of projected lineups with the same guys in it. How many perpetual losers from the last 5 years have lineups even remotely recognizable from start to finish? Are we the only ones? How many teams have springboarded from being terrible to being fantastic again. Tampa Bay is a fine example of a team that was right where we are in 2010. Traded Martin St. Louis. Traded Vincent Lecavalier. Traded Brad Richards. Traded Dan Boyle. They recognized that their window had closed on their current group and made the appropriate changes. Our failure to adjust is going to leave our players without value by the time we seek to trade them or worse they're going to leave in free agency for nothing at all.

I just don't see how I am the only one seeing this. Teams that are crawling out of the basement with their feet on our head every time while we continue to stagnate with the same group. It's beyond frustrating at this point. It's bordering on apathy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
At least on Semin I honestly think, if he doesn't rebound this season, it's (best case) expansion team or it's buyout for him. Or it's trade with us retaining heavy next offseason like the Bruins Lucic trade since the Ruutu and Harrison ones will be off the books.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Vagrant, I don't think it's that you're the only one seeing it. I think it's more that you're one of the only ones who hasn't accepted that the Staals (and possibly Ward) are going to remain in Carolina uniforms for as long as they want to.

Doesn't mean most are happy about it. It simply means they've accepted the inevitable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad