GOTY 2023 Speculation:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah that’s a good point. I think you really do have to be a Harry Potter fan to be in love with the game otherwise the allure gets lost. Loving the books and/or movies the game is just incredible, felt like the books came alive in a AAA RPG. If you play on hard mode the combat ramps up nicely too.
That's a great point because you won't be so involved with it if you don't have that love behind it, but what the team did for the universe was just amazing. The game is far from perfect, but again the fun aspect is what makes a game a GOTY and it was that...at least for me.

Reactions: robertmac43

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
There were an abnormal amount of good games released but there is nothing in that 9-10/10 range that would put this year among the best ever. Though I have barely had time to game since September started so maybe I just need to play more games and actually finish the ones I've started.

(* = not completed yet)

8.5/10:
Resident Evil 4
System Shock
Starfield*

8/10:
Alan Wake 2*
Baldur's Gate 3*

5/10:
Diablo IV

Dropped:
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Hogwarts Legacy
Forza Motorsport

Interested but haven't played yet:
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Dead Space
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Sonic Superstars
Persona 5 Tactica
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine 2 (doubt this releases in 2023)
Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader
Cities: Skylines 2

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is there a remake of the year award somewhere? Feels like that should be a thing with the sheer number we get on a year to year basis.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
it’s easily BG3 after putting a good chunk of time into it. Games effin incredible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is there a remake of the year award somewhere? Feels like that should be a thing with the sheer number we get on a year to year basis.
How many true re-makes do we get? I feel we get a lot of re-masters. Like, FF VII remake, Super Mario RPG and what Capcom is doing with Resident Evil. I'd say are notably seperate than what we get for MGS or the GTA 3 Trilogies. One is impressive accomplishments and revisioning iconic games, the others have just been cash grab ports.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
BG3, and it’s really not as close as people like to claim. BG3 was a massive step forward for the medium in regards to immersion, player agency, and storytelling.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Game Awards was an aggressively bad, borderline disrespectful show.

Paul Tassi breaks it down nicely:

People online seem to really care about who wins this, so good on Keighly for the branding job, but I cant be bothered to care what this clownshow deems excellent anymore.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Game Awards was an aggressively bad, borderline disrespectful show.

Paul Tassi breaks it down nicely:

People online seem to really care about who wins this, so good on Keighly for the branding job, but I cant be bothered to care what this clownshow deems excellent anymore.

I think most people just watch for the trailers to be honest. I love Movies and TV Shows just as much as video games, but I don't watch the Emmy's or Oscar's. Only reason I tune in is to see the reveals.

Reactions: King 88

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would pause it and then speed through most of it, just stopping for the trailers that looked interesting.

The only reason I did even that much was because I was hoping for Elden Ring DLC trailer, so overall I was disappointed :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad