Votes: 158 38.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Ghost is the rightful stylistic successor to Duncan Keith.
Reilly cant match him.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Question for Flyers fans:

Why is Ghost so often stapled to the bench in critical defensive situations? Late in a game, holding the lead. More than once I’ve noticed his absence and I wasn’t even really paying attention.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

Why is Ghost so often stapled to the bench in critical defensive situations? Late in a game, holding the lead. More than once I’ve noticed his absence and I wasn’t even really paying attention.

Answer: We don't know.

I'd assume its linked to the fact that Lehtera, Filppula and Weise are out after every goal against and seem to be the default line in critical situations late in the 3rd.

In other words, Dave Hakstol.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Answer: We don't know.

I'd assume its linked to the fact that Lehtera, Filppula and Weise are out after every goal against and seem to be the default line in critical situations late in the 3rd.
Would you like a hint? It’ll be in my answer to your question.

Because they’re safe. Hack trusts their decision making. They rarely turn the puck over or make soft plays in their own zone.

For obvious reasons, he doesn’t have that trust in Ghost.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

Because they’re safe. Hack trusts their decision making. They rarely turn the puck over or make soft plays in their own zone.

You've got me there. They certainly can't turn the puck over when they're unable to reach it in the first place.

241.gif

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Any 60+ point player signed for 6 years at $4.5mil in this league is an absolute steal. The fact that he's a defenseman makes it absurd. Since we're including that aspect, I have no idea how this poll is even close.
Rielly himself is pacing for a 50 point season. He does that while playing elite competition, and is one of only three d-men to have positive shot metrics relative to his team while playing that kind of role. The others being Hedman and Doughty.

Now I'm not familiar with Ghost's usage, but unless it's changed drastically I just don't see how this can be anything but close.

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia

What? They're objectively the worst forwards on the team in all three zones. Ghost has been unquestionably their best defenseman for some two months including his own zone. His usage is due to poor personel decison making, not his actual play. This is a problem that continues to plague the team but is masked by their recent stretch.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This season it has been Rielly, it's not really up for debate IMO.

Morgan Rielly’s Evolution into a #1 Defenceman

“Rielly’s team has significantly outshot the opposition when he’s on the ice.
To give you an idea of just how difficult that is, here’s a list of defencemen who face elite competition (90th percentile or higher), have a positive shot differential relative to their teammates, and are on pace for over 50 points this season:
  • Drew Doughty
  • Victor Hedman
  • Morgan Rielly
That’s it.”

Rielly plays some of the toughest minutes in the entire league, doesn't play as much PP time as the top point getters and still produces some of the best results.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
You guys are really hanging your entire argument on QOC, huh? That's good company but it's not that decisive of a stat. Ghost is playing top pairing minutes as well.

How about actual defensive ability and results rather than just who they play against?

Appleyard said:
[Ghost] has allowed less GA/60 at 5v5 than any other top 4 Dman in the NHL this season. (1.41) :nod:

And has the best GF% at 5v5 of any top 4 Dman. (66.15%)

Anyone can play against top competition. How is he doing against top competition? What I'm seeing is he's -3 (worst on the team and the only negative) on a team with a +35 goal differential while Ghost is +15 (best on the team) on a team with a +10 goal differential. We're also looking at a 15 point scoring difference. That's 42% more points for Ghost.

Seems like Ghost contributes a lot more in both stopping and scoring goals. Seems kind of important for a defenseman.

I understand some Leafs fans are a little overzealous in defending their players, but when the only statistic you have to fall back on is QoC, you're not going to win many arguments (especially when comparing him against another top pairing D). Ghost is just having a better season that Rielly right now, nothing wrong with admitting that.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersphan20

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia

Thank you for being respectful, and your line of thinking somehow is in line with Hakstol.

But it's still the biggest crock of shit. Those players are not safe by any means, you seriously cannot comprehend how horrible they are, and how much ice time they get in critical situations. Making soft plays in their own zone is basically what they're known for, yet Hak still loves to trot them out at the most inopportune times.

I'm mainly talking about the Lehtera-Weise-Filpulla forward trio, but he also plays Mandog/Farmer/Hagg in crucial defensive situations over Ghost, when they are all worse defensively. By a lot. Screw being safe, Manning has to be one of the least safe "defensemen" in history. Quotation marks are there on purpose.

Reactions: Striiker

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Because their coach is the same idiot who last season thought it made more sense to send Chris VandeVelde & Pierre-Edouard Bellemare late in the game to protect a 1 goal lead than it did to have Giroux and Voracek out there.

Exactly, they don't turn over the puck. They never make a risky pass or play. Never mind that they can't ever get the f***ing puck in the first place, but they're absolutely excellent at running around and chasing the play for minutes on end in their own zone. On the odd occasion they do get the puck, they always make the safe clear that ends up right on the other team's point guy's stick or, if it gets by that guy, ends up being an icing. Wait, I thought they didn't turn over the puck. Now my head hurts.

Now I'm not familiar with Ghost's usage, but unless it's changed drastically I just don't see how this can be anything but close.

He's been playing on the top pairing with Provorov for months now. Those far more proficient in advanced metrics than I am have pointed out that Provorov / Ghost has a case for being the best pairing in the league since they were put together, and frankly Ghost has been the better defensive player on the pairing.

None of which is to say that this comparison is laughable or anything. I think both guys are good top pairing defenders.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Rielly is in the 99th percentile for QoC, Ghost isn't. Why are you posting lies?

Just because he has rough QOC doesn't automatically make him better, look how he's performing in those numbers, his defensive stats are hideous for a #1, he's getting abused In those minutes. The guy has good offensive numbers and is the #1 on a +36 team yet still manages to be a minus player... that's absurdly unheard of.

Reactions: Tripod

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Is Ghost still at 100% offensive zone starts?
77% last year, 68% this year, but 42% since being paired with Provorov on the top pair. Provorov is 40% on the year.

In the 25 or so games Ghost has been on the top pair his OZS is 42.7%. Rielly is 51.2% OZS for the year and 55.6 in the last 25 games. So in the last 25 games Ghost has had 13% more defensive draws than Rielly And facing the toughest minutes along with Provorov while having much better defensive statistics, blocked shots included

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
68%? I was obviously joking about the 100% claim, but that's not far off.

77% last year? Ridiculous lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad