Post-Game Talk: Gorton & Hughes End of Season Media Avail 9:30Am EST

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
yeah I supported MB for a long time but in the end he proved never ready or able to make the trades for those game changing kind of players... he was good at the money balling aspect of fining high value for low prices.. but couldn't find the game breakers...

I always had hope.. but in the end was just left disappointed.

thank God for the new regime proving to be much more competent!
MBs biggest problem was he would not overpay to fix a glaring whole. Won a lot of trade battles but lost the war so to speak

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Has anybody else noticed a slight divide between Hughes and MSL when it comes to analytics? In that presser, twice I think, Hughes talked about looking at analytics after every game and basing the progress of the team during the season on looking at the data.

On the other hand, in his presser last night, MSL was kind of dismissive or, I should say, didn't have the same emphasis on the analytics side of the game. He said something like "yea we look at data after the game or whatever..." and kind of just brushed it of as something not really that important when it comes to breaking down how a game went.

I'm not saying it's a problem or anything, but I just wanted to see if anybody else noticed that

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Jul 6, 2016
Has anybody else noticed a slight divide between Hughes and MSL when it comes to analytics? In that presser, twice I think, Hughes talked about looking at analytics after every game and basing the progress of the team during the season on looking at the data.

On the other hand, in his presser last night, MSL was kind of dismissive or, I should say, didn't have the same emphasis on the analytics side of the game. He said something like "yea we look at data after the game or whatever..." and kind of just brushed it of as something not really that important when it comes to breaking down how a game went.

I'm not saying it's a problem or anything, but I just wanted to see if anybody else noticed that
Normal. The coach has the direct pulse of the game and the room. He doesn’t really need advanced stats. GM’s are keeping track of these datas to negotiate and to evaluate their personal as well as the players they would like to acquire in trades and drafts.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
MBs biggest problem was he would not overpay to fix a glaring whole. Won a lot of trade battles but lost the war so to speak

💯 ... he was good for smaller trades.. he went for trades he knew, or strongly felt he would "win"... but he was never able to, or didn't have the balls to swing for the fenced in a high risk high reward kind of trade...

...but then swung for all the wrong fences (singing and extentions) in the last couple years which left Hughes alot of shit to fix once he left. I mean the only first he ever traded was for Dvorak after half the team that got us to the finals was gone... and it was clear a reset / retool was needed.... like that's not when you trade 1st.. that's when ur supposed to gain them! lol

Reactions: Guess and CDN24

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Normal. The coach has the direct pulse of the game and the room. He doesn’t really need advanced stats. GM’s are keeping track of these datas to negotiate and to evaluate their personal as well as the players they would like to acquire in trades and drafts.
Yea that makes sense.

I know baseball is completely different from hockey, but I wouldn't want a "Moneyball" type situation where the GM and coach aren't on the same page when it comes to player utilization because of analytics haha

Reactions: Rozz

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Bergy would have done a good job if he took Dubas job...All the big pieces in place and just needed to add depth and toughness and grind out small victories with small trades.
Getting stars or having a vision on how to actually build a team...he lacked.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3 and Rozz

Jul 6, 2016
Yea that makes sense.

I know baseball is completely different from hockey, but I wouldn't want a "Moneyball" type situation where the GM and coach aren't on the same page when it comes to player utilization because of analytics haha
That should be the coaches’ jobs , not the GM or Prez.

MSL was sick and tired to have three goalies around.

Yea that makes sense.

That Oakland team was desperate to save money, and gets the most of each buck they were spending.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
No buyouts because the owner is cheap and does not want to win.
No buyouts now because there is no need.

You buyout a player if
1) you need the cap space - we don't he has close to 10M plus Prices LTIR money if needed and only Barron and Xhekaj needing a contract for this year
2) you are cash strapped and need to defer or reduce dollars out
3) you need the roster spot. With Pearson/ white /ylonen maybe coming off you have roster spots.

Buying out now before you need to just creates a problem down the road. Using Anderson as an example if we bought out this year we would create $5.3M of cap space this year when we don't need it and be carrying some Anderson cap hit to 2030. Buy out next year and you are only carrying to 2029 and at a lower #

The owner is not cheap, he would not have taken on Monahan's very real 6.75 salary for a pick if he was.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Not that long after being hired, MSL said that he wasn't an analytic guy, because there wasn't any that was showing him what he wanted to see especially mentioning good puck touches vs bad puck touches and what the players are doing "away from the puck". He did spent some time with the new Habs analytic director hired by HuGo in his first off-season to try to see what they could do thought.

So MSL probably doesn't looks at the analytics that much. While Hughes seems to like them quite a bit.

Reactions: FLHabs

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021

You buyout a player if
1) you need the cap space - we don't he has close to 10M plus Prices LTIR money if needed and only Barron and Xhekaj needing a contract for this year
3) you need the roster spot. With Pearson/ white /ylonen maybe coming off you have roster spots.

Buying out now before you need to just creates a problem down the road. Using Anderson as an example if we bought out this year we would create $5.3M of cap space this year when we don't need it and be carrying some Anderson cap hit to 2030. Buy out next year and you are only carrying to 2029 and at a lower #

The owner is not cheap, he would not have taken on Monahan's very real 6.75 salary for a pick if he was.
False.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

You buyout a player if

True

Reactions: CDN24

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
thought it was interesting to hear Hughes say offensive talent (not surprising) and becoming more physical (size).
Adding Hutson to an already small team, is risky.
Guys have to go. Is there space for RHP? Maybe, but I suspect Ylonen is out, and I think they trade Harris - who has more value than some of us think.
I think a healthy Arber helps, and Mailloux makes the team.
I think the plan is to let Reinabcher play in Laval next year unless he completely blows people away in training camp.
Now I get the priority signings of Tuch and Florian.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
thought it was interesting to hear Hughes say offensive talent (not surprising) and becoming more physical (size).
Adding Hutson to an already small team, is risky.
Guys have to go. Is there space for RHP? Maybe, but I suspect Ylonen is out, and I think they trade Harris - who has more value than some of us think.
I think a healthy Arber helps, and Mailloux makes the team.
I think the plan is to let Reinabcher play in Laval next year unless he completely blows people away in training camp.
Now I get the priority signings of Tuch and Florian.
Pierre McGuire said RHP wouldn’t have a spot on his team going forward precisely because of the size issue. I get it. I like the guy, it’s a nice story, but I don’t know if he’s good enough to be a 3rd liner on a good team and he doesn’t have the attributes to play on a 4th line.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
elite scorer is what they need. hard to get KH will try I am certain see what happens
Didn't look like that to me. Habs have pretty good numbers 5v5. The biggest problem was the defensive zone. Maybe it's a question of guys being too green. I'd aim for someone other than Matheson to be our #1D. And I think that right there fixes a big chunk of the issues we've seen this season.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Pierre McGuire said RHP wouldn’t have a spot on his team going forward precisely because of the size issue. I get it. I like the guy, it’s a nice story, but I don’t know if he’s good enough to be a 3rd liner on a good team and he doesn’t have the attributes to play on a 4th line.
Agreed. I wonder what HuGo is going to do. Tuch and Xhekaj are not ready. Heinemann disappointed.
Armia, anderson, gallagher and newhook (if he's not in top 6) is an ok 3rd line...
4th with Evans or Dvorak (one or both of these guys is getting dealt though) along with the physical upgrades ..pezz is fine as 13th F...
pearson is gone...I don't see a chair for ylonen or RHP (who was getting injured all year from physical contact)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad