Post-Game Talk: Gorton & Hughes End of Season Media Avail 9:30Am EST

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Cap space is not the issue, roster space is.

For forwards:
Slaf-Suzuki-CC
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher
RHP-Evans-Armia

As much as I'd love to waive Anderson, it won't happen. Maybe we sign someone as an upgrade on RHP but there's really no room for anyone else.

Fro dmen:
Guhle-Savard
Matheson-X
X-X

Then some combination of Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Barron, Mailloux, Hutson, Reinbacher, and Kovacevic. Sure some will go to Laval and a guy like Kovacevic will be an extra, but that's still way too many dmen. There's really no point in adding someone that will be longer than 1 year since you want to give a chance to guys like Hutson/Mailloux/Reinbacher to make the team and play meaningful minutes.

It is crowded but Hugues enter the year with Dvorak, Armia, Savard, Evans, Kovacevic in their last contract year. We have a tons of prospect on D, can't keep them all.....

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So what is the plan, drafting two forwards this year in the first round? Since I doubt they go for a defense in the late first, we have enough quantity on the blue line.

Didn't know they were considered potential #1.Would you say they project to be better than Primeau and Montembault?

Fowler definitely has starter potential, Dobes as well but to a lesser degree. I'm not as familiar with Volokhin.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So what is the plan, drafting two forwards this year in the first round? Since I doubt they go for a defense in the late first, we have enough quantity on the blue line.

I don't think there's been a draft yet that showed that management views things the way the fanbase on here does.

Personally, if they prefer the upside of a D to a forward, I'd rather they take a D. There is ALWAYS trade demand for young D, especially relative to forwards.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t expect them to keep that Jets pick. I fully expect that to be traded for current help.
But can we get elite NHL ready talent with the Jets pick?
Or, can we use it to move into the top 15, if we attach assets like Barron, Struble, and Harris to it?
Or, is Trevor Connolly a possible option to get elite talent potential with the Jets 1st?

Our 2 major holes that are hard to find elite talent to fill are two wingers for the 2nd line:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
_______ - Dach - ______
Roy - Newhook - Beck/kapanen
Xhekaj/Tuch/etc... - Evans - Beck/Kapanen

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Engstrom/Barron/Struble/Harris/Trudeau/Bogdan

Fowler
Monty/Primeau

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
But can we get elite talent with the Jets pick?
Or, can we use it to move into the top 15, if we attach assets like Barron, Struble, and Harris to it?
Or, is Trevor Connolly a possible option to get elite talent potential with the Jets 1st.

Our 2 major holes that are hard to find elite talent to fill are two wingers for the 2nd line:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
_______ - Dach - ______

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Monty/Primeau

Roy and Newhook need to be on the second line.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
But can we get elite talent with the Jets pick?
Or, is Trevor Connolly a possible option to get elite talent potential with the Jets 1st.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
_______ - Dach - ______

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Monty/Primeau
Well I see it as a part of a package to land an RFA that a team will have trouble re-signing like Necas.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well I see it as a part of a package to land an RFA that a team will have trouble re-signing like Necas.

I'd be ecstatic if we used the Jets pick as part of a package to get Necas or move into the top 12-14 to try to get a second one of the 8+ forwards available in the draft

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Catton
Iginla
Eiserman
Helenius
Connolly
Brandsegg-Nygard

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
That’s actually why I would do the opposite. I think the experience coach need to be MSL right hand man.

And the PP is not only Burrows, MSL probably have more control on the PP then Burrows himself. He’s on charge of the forward and they showed good progression

So true, people like bashing Burrows around here but every PP practice is run by MSL

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No buyouts this summer apparently. Woooo more years of Anderson floating
I think they're going to have a real deep talk with Anderson and try and get him engaged like he was at the start of the season. I think he worked hard and when he was finally rewarded with some goals he thought thar monkey was off his back. He didn't score and just seemed like he was mentally defeated.

Best case he comes back, gets 20+ goals while bringing physicality and speed.

Worse case when the Habs buy him out next summer it's 2 years less left than it would be this year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Long term?

Is that enough elite talent in the top 6?

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Roy - Dach - Newhook

Newhook finished the season with 27 points in his last 39 games, which is a 57 point pace over a full year. If not for his injury and being stuck with Anderson to start the first month and a half, he likely hits 50 points this year as a 22/23 year old. I'd say he definitely showed he can be a top 6 guy and there is still room for improvement.

Roy is still young so it is too early to say whether he can be a top 6 guy, but he certainly showed a lot of good things as a 20 year old.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I believe so, but I'm high on all 6
To be a contender… i don’t know. I feel like Dach has a place there (injuries notwithstanding), Roy is a talented player but hard to project.
On Newhook, on a winner, I want him on a thrid line with a huge winger and another talent on the wing. They could be a line that takes advantage of other third lines.

Montembeault speaking at the speed of light
He’s trolling us right? That guy is turbo charged :laugh:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I think they're going to have a real deep talk with Anderson and try and get him engaged like he was at the start of the season. I think he worked hard and when he was finally rewarded with some goals he thought thar monkey was off his back. He didn't score and just seemed like he was mentally defeated.

Best case he comes back, gets 20+ goals while bringing physicality and speed.

Worse case when the Habs buy him out next summer it's 2 years less left than it would be this year.
I think they are going to trade him or Dvorak this summer.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That’s actually why I would do the opposite. I think the experience coach need to be MSL right hand man.

And the PP is not only Burrows, MSL probably have more control on the PP then Burrows himself. He’s on charge of the forward and they showed good progression

MSL has his hands on the PP and the PK. But MSL also has other things he works on. He's the head coach.

Robidas runs the PK and Burrows the PP.

The PK has been solid since January. PP has been dreadful all year, all last year, and that's part of Burrows' responsibilities.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Long term?

Is that enough elite talent in the top 6?

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Roy - Dach - Newhook

I don't think long-term really applies at this point (or ever really applies for a top-6 group).

I think what that top 6 shows is that, if everything breaks right and players continue to develop, Montreal has a potentially strong top-6 internally (without needing to trade, draft or sign someone). I don't think it means that it can't/wouldn't be improved on or changed, but more that Montreal's shifting to another stage of the rebuild. That doesn't mean the rebuild is over.

For frame of reference, I'm thinking of the Devil's after 2020-2021. They had a lot of talent at forward (Hischier, J. Hughes, Bratt, Sharangovich, Zacha) plus good forward prospects, and some decent D. But they still weren't ready to compete and continued to add in other areas.

Its the difference between just trying to cobble together lines that work and figuring out what you need to take the next step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad