Gorton -Columbus?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
What's his role in Montréal exactly?

Since the Hughes hiring he's been pretty much out of the spotlight.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Dreger brought it up first when Jarmo got fired, then Friedman and Marek on their pod.

We were told that this will be a two-headed leadership group, but I always felt like someone was going to feel overshadowed.

There was rumblings that Gorton wasn't happy a while back, but they never went anywhere and i think some insiders denied them. But now with this, I kind of feel like this info doesn't get out/CBJ doesn't ask unless Gorton isn't thrilled with his spot.

I could totally be reading too much into this, but it's starting to feel like Gorton leaving in the short-medium term is a thing.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
What's his role in Montréal exactly?

Since the Hughes hiring he's been pretty much out of the spotlight.
He’s Hughes’ boss and has final say on the big decisions, including trades, high draft picks, etc. So pretty much like Shanahan in TO. And like Shanahan, he gets to “hide” behind the “public” GM and not have to talk to the media. So best of all worlds. He’s not getting $6 million a year to just surf the Internet all day.

Reactions: dinodebino and Seb

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Apparrently Davisidson The Firie bus in Columbus. asked to interview Sir. . I think Gorton who hired Hughes, would like to stay and reap the bennefists? Guy- Ladies? .....
I doubt there is much to this as Gorton only been here little more than 2 years. Takes 5 years minimum to do rebuild.

Reactions: BLONG7

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I found this

I'm surprised this didn't surface earlier; in fact, I heard about it for the first time last night from my ex (yes, we talk hockey). Now I have to text her she was right (she's been waiting three years to hear that!).

I don't see a professional upside in leaving one of the league's top orgs for Columbus. Gorton would not only be moving to a lesser organization, he'd move even further away from a Cup, given the poor state of Columbus' roster. Professionally, Montreal to Columbus is a demotion.

The caveats are this could be personal: he's unhappy with his role here; he doesn't gel with Hughes; he has family reasons to prefer a US team.

Hopefully the above means the issue is resolved.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Anything is possible but the fact that Gorton hired Hughes and MSL to rebuild this team I doubt he would walk away this early. The legacy he can build if he brings back the Habs to greatness is something I think is important to him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anything is possible but the fact that Gorton hired Hughes and MSL to rebuild this team I doubt he would walk away this early. The legacy he can build if he brings back the Habs to greatness is something I think is important to him.

On the one hand, you worry he wants to run the show more than he could as part of a duo. On the other hand, he seems like someone who values people who are good at their jobs giving him ideas and doing good work for him, for example in trade negotiations.

Reactions: Tyson

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Good leaders remove ego from the equation and he seems like a good leader
The guy has leadership written all over him...............and he lets Hughes handle the day to day is full on proof. Together, it seems like a very smart tandem. A manager, and an agent combined with both brains wanting to build a team.

Reactions: Gally11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad