Speculation: Gorton’s first moves!

What will be Gorton’s first moves? (Pick 3)

• Total voters

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
His first hire will probably be the GM, so for now just expect small roster moves

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Other: learn parlez-vous.

I’ll go with a waiver wire claim.

Major appointments like naming a Director of Player Development or new heads of scouting — I suspect those only happen after a GM is hired. Should those not be a GM’s prerogative?

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Other: learn parlez-vous.

I’ll go with a waiver wire claim.

Major appointments like naming a Director of Player Development or new heads of scouting — I suspect those only happen after a GM is hired. Should those not be a GM’s prerogative?

Its clear that the division of tasks isn’t fully fleshed out yet (to the public anyway) but he mentioned his focus will be on a few things including analytics and player development which jives with his experience

Reactions: cphabs and Runner77

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Going to have a discussion with Harris and get him on board.
This is exactly what came to mind after the Gorton hiring. He is going to get a feel for each prospect and when it comes to Harris' case, he'll find out about his interest in playing for the team and make a quick decision about his future, rather than waiting until the last minute like Marc Bergevin would have done.

Reactions: cphabs and Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Next Gorton moves, I expect the kids will start seeing lots more TOI which aligns with Gorton & Dom Dom having had a conversation on what’s on dock for the remainder of the season - Suzuki, Poehling, Evans, Romanov w Caufield & Norlinder heading to Laval

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He needs to get Caufield to the AHL and keep him there. Calling him back up when they did was a horrible decision and Ducharme’s usage of him is equally bad.

Reactions: Tyson and MasterD

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Gorton already made his first move as far as I’m concerned, Petry’s obviously been playing hurt, didn’t make the trip to Nash.
Or it's just a strategy used to justify Petry's poor play since the start of the season, so that he regains some market value.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think right now the first moves should be all focus toward the 2 first thing coming their way.
Trade Deadline and Draft 2022.

Because of that.....Head-scouts, scouts should be a priority.....Timmins also left a void and he wasn't replace.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Will probably be basic things for awhile, until he familiarizes himself with the staff, players and organization. I remember reading that one of the first things Frank Selke did when he took over as gm was to have the Forum cleaned up, literally. He inherited the Rocket among others which was a nice way to start. Very interested to see how things will look at the beginning of next season.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think right now the first moves should be all focus toward the 2 first thing coming their way.
Trade Deadline and Draft 2022.

Because of that.....Head-scouts, scouts should be a priority.....Timmins also left a void and he wasn't replace.

IMO, trade deadline should be easy; Chiarot, Wideman and Kulak, maybe try to jettison Paquette.

Players with term are offseason moves, unless somebody comes knocking,

Hopefully, the GM is found first. From there, he/she and Gorton can work on scouting and the 2022 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad