goring smythe 81?

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
can someone tell me why goring won smythe in 81?

i didn't see the series, but i was looking back at the stats:

bossy........18 17g 18a 35p
trottier......18 11g 18a 29p
potvin.......18 8g 17a 25p
goring........18 10g 10a 20p

why didn't bossy win?

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Good question.

Depends on the biases of certain hockey writers, and how some like to favour those that always appear to be giving 100%.Goring was never a graceful talent, made it look like he was churning up the ice on each shift, plus he had that duct taped pee-wee helmet to compliment his mountain man face.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Goring was universally acknowledged as being the final piece that put the Isles over the top in their first cup win in 1980, so its not that surprising that he was award the Conn Smythe the following season.

He provided them with the second line consistent center they sorely lacked prior to his accquisition.

The MVP isnt just about point scoring. Goring was a legitimate hard working all around player and spark plug. Al Arbour even named him as a player/assistant coach.

Even when he later went to the Bruin's for his final season in 85, Goring still provided a struggling team some drive, scoring 34 points in 39 games.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
nik jr said:
can someone tell me why goring won smythe in 81?

i didn't see the series, but i was looking back at the stats:

bossy........18 17g 18a 35p
trottier......18 11g 18a 29p
potvin.......18 8g 17a 25p
goring........18 10g 10a 20p

why didn't bossy win?

Because the Conn Smyth determines who is the top player in the postseason...not simply who puts up the highest offensive statistics.

Goring deserved it.

Bossy won it the following year, also deservedly.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Trottier said:
Because the Conn Smyth determines who is the top player in the postseason...not simply who puts up the highest offensive statistics.

Goring deserved it.

Bossy won it the following year, also deservedly.
i know what smythe is. no need for such condescension. :shakehead
why did u even reply?

what did goring do to make up for the huge difference in scoring?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
nik jr said:
i know what smythe is. no need for such condescension. :shakehead
why did u even reply?

what did goring do to make up for the huge difference in scoring?

No condescension. Re-read your own question. You implied that since Bossy (and others) outscored Goring, he deserved the Smyth. Not going to apologize for some of us on this board finding the "offensive stat sheet" approach to evaluating player's value as insufferable. As in: "he who scores most is best!" That's overly-simplistic.

Goring won it based on being a superb PK guy, contributing on the second PP unit, hustling his tail off and playing a great two-way game. Multiple NYI players could have won it that post-season (unlike the following season, when Bossy essentially dominated). But Goring was deserving.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Trottier said:
No condescension. Re-read your own question. You implied that since Bossy (and others) outscored Goring, he deserved the Smyth. Not going to apologize for some of us on this board finding the "offensive stat sheet" approach to evaluating player's value as insufferable. As in: "he who scores most is best!" That's overly-simplistic.

Goring won it based on being a superb PK guy, contributing on the second PP unit, hustling his tail off and playing a great two-way game. Multiple NYI players could have won it that post-season (unlike the following season, when Bossy essentially dominated). But Goring was deserving.
it was extremely condescending.
explaining what smythe is, using BOLD, as if i can't read.....

i implied nothing. i just asked a question.

u didn't even give any useful info. u only responded so u could look down on me and feel superior for asking a simple question.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
nik jr said:
u only responded so u could look down on me and feel superior for asking a simple question.

I think I know the intent of my posts better than you. I commented on your comment, was not attacking you personally nor meaning to be condenscending. If you believe what you know better what is in my head, my intentions, can't help you.

Likewise, trust me, having subjected myself to some of your previous insight on this board, I've never felt a need to "feel superior" to you.

If you do not like my answer, simply delete me from your list of posters. However, I'm never going to suffer easily those who think that scoring stats are the definitive judgement of greatness/superiority. Those who confuse their fantasy leagues criteria with real hockey.

And I'll continue to call them on it.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Trottier said:
Thanks. Glad you read (and review) my posts. I'm flattered. ;)
Not that Trottier cares about what I think (nor should he), but I don't think his answer was condescending. It's a stupid question to ask. Reality is, if you're trying to measure playoff performance based solely on stats, you're a fool. The playoffs are far too important, far too relevant, than to solely evaluate performance based on statistics. Goring won on account of his fantastic all-round play. When a player like Goring gets you over a point-per-game, it takes a special performance from another player to top Goring's contributions.

And when a strong poster like Trottier (who is a very knowledgable Islanders fan) gives you an answer, don't accuse him of insulting your intelligence.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Thanks GBC.

My original post was interpreted by at least a couple of folks as mean-spirited; I'm sorry it was. I can understand why one would see it as such, but that was not the intention. One can either take me at my word or not.

Let's leave it at that and move on. I know I am.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
God Bless Canada said:
Not that Trottier cares about what I think (nor should he), but I don't think his answer was condescending. It's a stupid question to ask. Reality is, if you're trying to measure playoff performance based solely on stats, you're a fool. The playoffs are far too important, far too relevant, than to solely evaluate performance based on statistics. Goring won on account of his fantastic all-round play. When a player like Goring gets you over a point-per-game, it takes a special performance from another player to top Goring's contributions.

And when a strong poster like Trottier (who is a very knowledgable Islanders fan) gives you an answer, don't accuse him of insulting your intelligence.
i don't see how it was a stupid question. all i had available was stats and i wanted to know more. so i asked.

trottier didn't give an answer at all. he only condescendingly defined conn smythe and said i thought stats are everything. if i thought stats were everything, i wouldn't have asked.

the 2nd part of his 2nd post would have been sufficient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad