OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #121 - USMNT, MLS, EPL, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
They already exist as a fully-professional North American Soccer League (Tier 2) side. They play at Hofstra.

There are likely many more people who like soccer spread throughout the area than there are hockey fans. (See: Our Hispanic population and European immigrants who don't have a stateside club yet.) If we've made it this long with three teams in the fourth sport, then the NYC Metro could absolutely support three MLS clubs like 5-10 years from now.

There are presently 4 professional soccer teams in the general metro area right now (Red Bulls, NYCFC, Cosmos, and NYRB II). We don't even know how well the first 3 will be supported. Ultimately, the Cosmos are going to be in a **** spot once USL surpasses them for the division 2 distinction. Forget the fact MLS is not adding another team to this area that quick. There's no reason to believe it as doable yet until/unless the scale and revenue of this league jumps dramatically.

Oh and what about the notion of even trying to build a stadium in this area. Right now only one has it's own stadium that isn't owned and primarily used by someone else... I don't see MLS even considering a third team in this area when it'll probably be 5-7 years before the second team could open doors to it's own building.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Calling RBNY v NYCFC a "New York Derby" is as dumb as calling NJD v NYR a "New York Rivalry."

Why?

In both cases exist ONE team from New York and ONE team from New Jersey.

Ironically in the hockey example the Devils, as a franchise, have played more games as a home team outside of NJ than RBNY.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
But on the Cosmos, Garber won't give any more teams out unless they have a stadium. He won't call Miami the 24th team until Beckham finds a spot. Only reason NYC2 happened was because Garber thought they had a more solid stadium plan.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
and it didn't hurt to get Manchester City (and their bottomless pockets) involved. Teams in other markets aren't exactly getting that kind of backing.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Calling RBNY v NYCFC a "New York Derby" is as dumb as calling NJD v NYR a "New York Rivalry."

Why?

In both cases exist ONE team from New York and ONE team from New Jersey.

Ironically in the hockey example the Devils, as a franchise, have played more games as a home team outside of NJ than RBNY.

Oh my god who cares. They are both named New York and are less than 20 miles away from each other. It's a territorial rivalry. No one ever calls NJD vs NYR a New York rivalry because of the name. People refer to it as a Hudson River rivalry or whatever.

North Jersey is a suburb of NYC.

Maybe we'll just call it "Derby Day" just to make you happy.

Juventus-Inter is Italy's biggest Derby and they are over an hour away from each other.

Last edited:

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I'm not going to riot over it but it is just unbelievably stupid to call it a "New York" rivalry when one team is not and has not spent any of its history geographically located in New York. Their wonderful stadium does not exist because of any work or money provided by New York City or State did so **** the idea even more.

I'm from the Tri State Area but I am by no means a New Yorker. Ive been very clear and consistent about my feelings of "NY" in the RBNY name.

The "Tyne-Wear Derby" is about two clubs located in two entirely different cities but in a generally similar area about the same distance as NYCFC-RBNY. It wouldnt be called the "Newcastle" or "Sunderland" Derby because that wouldnt make any sense.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
If Arsenal played the way they have over these last 10 matches, during the first few months of the season, they'd be atop the table right now.

Giroud is just on fire.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Could say the same thing about us as well (But instead of last 10, it would be last 5)

At least we'll both be in the CL next year while Liverpool ends up playing against a bunch of mid table Ligue 1 and La Liga teams in Europa after Arsenal take's them out in the FA Cup final.

I should start scouting what team will take out Arsenal in the round of 16 again next year. It might a Serie A team's turn.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Hopefully Napoli, Inter, Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio, and Roma spend this off-season. Juventus is up 14 points in first place and will easily win a fourth straight league title. In 29 matches they have given up only 14 goals this season. I just want to see better competition next season.

As for rumors... I heard that Juventus is going to give in and sell Pogba. There is just too much money being offered. They are going to take the profit from his sale and buy Cavani from PSG and Candreva from Lazio. I'm alright with it. Pogba will be tough to lose because he's going to be one of the best players in the world very soon... but Cavani and Candreva are fantastic.

Sporting KC-Philly was a great match tonight. The Bimbos really blew it at the end.

Last edited:

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
At least we'll both be in the CL next year while Liverpool ends up playing against a bunch of mid table Ligue 1 and La Liga teams in Europa after Arsenal take's them out in the FA Cup final.

I should start scouting what team will take out Arsenal in the round of 16 again next year. It might a Serie A team's turn.

Please beat them in the Finals lol.

If they make it their, Blackburn may be a test the way they have played lately. I dont think we have "secured" Top 4 yet, but im fairly confident of it

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hopefully Napoli, Inter, Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio, and Roma spend this off-season. Juventus is up 14 points in first place and will easily win a fourth straight league title. In 29 matches they have given up only 14 goals this season. I just want to see better competition next season.

As for rumors... I heard that Juventus is going to give in and sell Pogba. There is just too much money being offered. They are going to take the profit from his sale and buy Cavani from PSG and Candreva from Lazio. I'm alright with it. Pogba will be tough to lose because he's going to be one of the best players in the world very soon... but Cavani and Candreva are fantastic.

Sporting KC-Philly was a great match tonight. The Bimbos really blew it at the end.

Lazio has been really good this year. Do they still have Klose under contract for next season? I would love to see him in the CL.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Was tasked w 5 trophies in 5 years and is at 2 in 2.

I would kill for 1 in 20 but Im still sitting at 0 with no hope for the future.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Coppa Italia Semi-Finals second leg:

Fiorentina was up 2-1 with two away goals... but Juve stormed out in the first half with two away goals of their own so Juve is now up 3-2 in the second half.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Man U is gonna have to bring Nike and Adidas kits on their east coast tour this summer because the Nike contract doesn't expire until July 31

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
The Red Bulls have moved their late July MLS games around and I've seen possible dates of said friendlies so I would think the team(s) are close to being finalized. As to when it's announced publicly, your guess is as good as mine

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
It'll be Newcastle and then I can buy one of those hideous half-NUFC-half-RBNY kits. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad