OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #120 - World Cup 2014 Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
BWP is nowhere near being good enough for England.

I'm not sure he's even good enough for the Championship. Fair play for all the goals out there, but the league itself has a long way to go before it gets close to the European level.

So that strike against Bayern in the ASG is worth nothing either? It's not like England is swimming in forward talent

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
some lucky guy on betfair lumped £126 on Leicester to win at 259/1 odds when they were 3-1 down

takes balls to do that, but holy hell he's up a colossal **** today

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
****ing brutal defending from United today, they are going to need significant investment in the back line in January and next summer. The attack is ridiculous though, I feel like a Flyers fan.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
So that strike against Bayern in the ASG is worth nothing either? It's not like England is swimming in forward talent

An All Star exhibition? Ahhhh.

Who does he replace in the current England set up? Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck? Come on...

Let's not forget the other English strikers in the Premier League and Championship.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Scored a paltry 5 goals in 15 games for League One Brentford before moving over there.

That's his level.

There's instances of guys who weren't anything special in England but were good here and vice versa. To just proclaim that his level is 5 goals in 15 games in League One is ridiculous. He's outscoring guys like Dempsey, Donovan, Keane, Defoe, etc who are all well above League One level.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
There's instances of guys who weren't anything special in England but were good here and vice versa. To just proclaim that his level is 5 goals in 15 games in League One is ridiculous. He's outscoring guys like Dempsey, Donovan, Keane, Defoe, etc who are all well above League One level.

They are all proven players yes... On the downside of their careers. Or getting paid way more than could earn over here anyway.

BWP hasn't done anything before going to MLS. A career lower league journeyman.

Look I don't doubt that he has developed some what, or matured. But to say that he could get a look in for England is crazy talk.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I sarcastically said that. Hence the ----> :p

And so what if they are "on the downside of their careers". They are all well above Championship quality and he is outscoring them.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
An All Star exhibition? Ahhhh.

Who does he replace in the current England set up? Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck? Come on...

Let's not forget the other English strikers in the Premier League and Championship.

Putting words in my mouth but yea, keep up the unrealistic expectations of getting out of groups with Costa Rica.

The guy has been phenomenal this year, Henry has lit a spark under his ass and even when Henry isn't involved in the play he scores some great goals. Yeah yeah yeah, "exhibition game" but no one is saving that goal. Class is class.

He has had offers to come home in January and from some legitimate clubs, but yeah lucky to play in the Championship. Attitudes like that is why the rest of Europe is surpassing England.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Costa Rica is European? :sarcasm:

Ive always thought if a goalscorer is on a streak than he is just as potent, if not more so at the moment, than a "proven" player.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Why such an argument over whether or not a guy is qualified to get a chance to crack a lineup for a mid-tier national team in a friendly? This is a nation that can't get out of their pool in international competitions. That's their level. So what's the problem?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
UEFA is getting away from friendlies. From Euro and WC qualifying there is almost no time for friendlies. That said they have some cupcake Euro qualifiers coming up against San Marino and Estonia in the next international window. England should be able to trot out a D team and get all 6 points. Granted BWP would be better off not leaving the Red Bulls for that week

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
****ing brutal defending from United today, they are going to need significant investment in the back line in January and next summer. The attack is ridiculous though, I feel like a Flyers fan.

A draw and a loss against two recently promoted squads. Van Gaal definitely has got them back on the right track.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
England has major issues. Starting from the top, right down to their drama Queen players. Even their youth teams are full of pampered rich teenagers. The problem with English football is the money, foreign imported talent and huge media exposure.

All I'm saying is that BWP scoring bags of goals in an inferior league, when in the past he has been average at best in the lower leagues, does not suddenly make him good enough for an England call up.

I've seen very few MLS games admittedly, but the ones I have have been plagued with terrible defending, worse goalkeeping and bizarre officiating.

It's great that the USA is starting to develop as a footballing country. But the MLS really does have a long way to go before being viewed as a high level competition.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I'd say the defense in the MLS is on par with Newcastle United, Liverpool, and Manchester United's and the refereeing was definitely on par with the likes of Mike Dean.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Did it really take 45 minutes of Dempsey for 25k fans to show up this past Saturday? This was the best crowd of the season and the game was great. I hope the people in the stands had enough fun to come back. That place is so much better when the seats are filled.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
They are all proven players yes... On the downside of their careers. Or getting paid way more than could earn over here anyway.

BWP hasn't done anything before going to MLS. A career lower league journeyman.

Look I don't doubt that he has developed some what, or matured. But to say that he could get a look in for England is crazy talk.

Question...who do you think is a better soccer player? Yedlin or BWP?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
England has major issues. Starting from the top, right down to their drama Queen players. Even their youth teams are full of pampered rich teenagers. The problem with English football is the money, foreign imported talent and huge media exposure.

All I'm saying is that BWP scoring bags of goals in an inferior league, when in the past he has been average at best in the lower leagues, does not suddenly make him good enough for an England call up.

I've seen very few MLS games admittedly, but the ones I have have been plagued with terrible defending, worse goalkeeping and bizarre officiating.

It's great that the USA is starting to develop as a footballing country. But the MLS really does have a long way to go before being viewed as a high level competition.

The USA is the only football country. They're developing as a soccer country though. Don't confuse your sports in this conversation. Don't want people to get confused about the given discussion.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
The USA is the only football country. They're developing as a soccer country though. Don't confuse your sports in this conversation. Don't want people to get confused about the given discussion.

I'm confused. It says football in the thread title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad