Goodell wants 18 game season, President's Day weekend SuperBowl

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
A pittance compared to how much the league will make and empty platitudes about player safety despite increasing the strain on their bodies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s always where they were headed, though I don’t know what they think is so special about Presidents’ Day, not like it’s a national holiday.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
A pittance compared to how much the league will make and empty platitudes about player safety despite increasing the strain on their bodies.
Amen.. I point this hypocrisy out all the time. The NFL larps about player safety.. while they keep adding games.
And personally I'm not outraged about concussions, etc (I accept 'em as an innate part of contact sports). But I hate some of the NFL's sanctimonious stands. If they're really serious about preserving players' minds and bodies, they could go back to the 7os' 14 game schedule. There was nothing lacking about 14 games..

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Amen.. I point this hypocrisy out all the time. The NFL larps about player safety.. while they keep adding games.
And personally I'm not outraged about concussions, etc (I accept 'em as an innate part of contact sports). But I hate some of the NFL's sanctimonious stands. If they're really serious about preserving players' minds and bodies, they could go back to the 7os' 14 game schedule. There was nothing lacking about 14 games..
They want international games that why there doing this .

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
It’s always where they were headed, though I don’t know what they think is so special about Presidents’ Day, not like it’s a national holiday.

It is; federal holidays are national holidays. Schools, government, banks, etc. are all closed.

This means a large majority of America will be off of work the Monday after the Super Bowl. I have been wanting this for years. This is going to be great for fans. Plus, season ticket holders like myself no longer have to pay full price for one more pre-season game - we get to convert that into an actual game (on the years we'd have 8 home games instead of 9). The second bye is also going to help short term injury bugs which can make or break playoff hopes.

I absolutely love this idea.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
It’s sort of a win-win. More revenue for owners, more money for players. The NFLPA probably won’t fight too hard against it since it just makes them all richer. Maybe adding a second bye week and/or eliminating the preseason will be a compromise.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA

The "relative risk ratio", or likelihood of an injury in the NFL during a game, is highest during the pre-season. Before they went to a three game schedule, only week one produced more injuries than one pre-season game (#2, and only #2). The 4th pre-season game was the worst - players were 3 times as likely to get hurt in that game compared to any other week in the season.

I mean if you wanted to make the NFL safer, you'd eliminate training camps altogether, because that is where the most injuries occur. But obviously that isn't going to happen.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Another way the NFL can address player safety is by adopting the college OT rules and in the process eliminate ties.

For context, between 1990-2011 there were 19 tie-free seasons out of 22 overall.

But since then the NFL OT rules have been nerfed twice, and in the last 12 seasons only three have been tie-free.

College OT rules limit each team to two offensive possessions at max, whereas currently in the NFL there can be unlimited offensive possessions increasing the risk for injury.

Some of the greatest college games since 1996 have been multi-OT thrillers. As an Ohio State fan I can testify to this.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It is; federal holidays are national holidays. Schools, government, banks, etc. are all closed.

This means a large majority of America will be off of work the Monday after the Super Bowl. I have been wanting this for years. This is going to be great for fans. Plus, season ticket holders like myself no longer have to pay full price for one more pre-season game - we get to convert that into an actual game (on the years we'd have 8 home games instead of 9). The second bye is also going to help short term injury bugs which can make or break playoff hopes.

I absolutely love this idea.
A large majority of America aren’t off, only federal employees. Not even a guarantee schools are off, I don’t think I ever had off Presidents’ Day between grade school and high school.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
A large majority of America aren’t off, only federal employees. Not even a guarantee schools are off, I don’t think I ever had off Presidents’ Day between grade school and high school.

I just checked, 25% of the work force gets off. Better than nothing. Memorial Day is out of the question but if you start the season earlier, 45% are off for MLK Jr. day. But I'm off every President's Day, so I can't wait!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

What will they be giving players in exchange?
If PA is truly smart, they would focus on real money instead of practices and stuff.

Like no franchise tags, no 5th year options (at least get rid of 1 of those and/or limit it to just 1 tag ever on a player). Expanded rosters. Things that put real money into the PA's pockets. Increase in PA % of revenue.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
YMMV but I always got it off in school. It may have been part of winter break week.

I guess I must have selected the better industries as I always had it off.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
The "relative risk ratio", or likelihood of an injury in the NFL during a game, is highest during the pre-season. Before they went to a three game schedule, only week one produced more injuries than one pre-season game (#2, and only #2). The 4th pre-season game was the worst - players were 3 times as likely to get hurt in that game compared to any other week in the season.

I mean if you wanted to make the NFL safer, you'd eliminate training camps altogether, because that is where the most injuries occur..
I assume the training camp injuries are a result of players returning to work in their coldest & stiffest condition.. which is just a reality of an off-season. So if they dump training camps, then those inevitable early injuries would just be transferred to earliest regular season games(?)

But the deeper point to me is.. it's just splitting hairs, fans suggesting the best safety protocols for NFL players.. because when the NFL keeps adding games, player safety isn't truly a high priority for the league. And that's ok with me, but it is an insult to fan intelligence; when the NFL won't admit that contemporary safety/concussion protocol is just a proactive legal strategy/smokescreen (nothing more noble). They don't want to keep paying settlements to retired players with brain injuries. They went from 14 to 16 to 17, now to 18? regular season games, while they're supposedly concerned about the number of hits.. c'mon.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Like no franchise tags, no 5th year options (at least get rid of 1 of those and/or limit it to just 1 tag ever on a player). Expanded rosters. Things that put real money into the PA's pockets. Increase in PA % of revenue.

There is a lot they should adopt from the NBA, namely RFAs (to replace franchise tags) and Bird rights.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There is a lot they should adopt from the NBA, namely RFAs (to replace franchise tags) and Bird rights.
they just need to focus on money, not practice and stuff. 2 Extra games going to add more wear and tear. Now, playing 8 seasons would then equal 9 seasons from a few years ago. Should ensure they get an equal bump in pay or better.

Reactions: sneakytitz

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
It’s sort of a win-win. More revenue for owners, more money for players. The NFLPA probably won’t fight too hard against it since it just makes them all richer. Maybe adding a second bye week and/or eliminating the preseason will be a compromise.
Need to limit players to 16 games per season and expand roster though.

WOuld also add to strategy factor for coaches, seeing who needs to sit vs who.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Need to limit players to 16 games per season and expand roster though.

WOuld also add to strategy factor for coaches, seeing who needs to sit vs who.
If they went that roster expansion route, they could possibly scale up even more to 20 games (24 including an expanded preseason). How many players would need to be on an active roster / taxi squad, for something like that, you think?

Honestly might make sense since there isn't a real minor league feeder system like NHL and MLB and even to an extent NBA have. Gives college players a lot more options post their CFB careers

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Given how I want the NFL to remove playoff seeding priority for division winners I don't want to limit players to 16 games in event of expansion to 18 games for the whole team.

Removing seeding priority from division winners will help to discourage teams from resting key players as much late in the season.

There are other ways to address player safety, like my proposal for college OT rules outlined above.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I've always had President's Day off, advertising is a very progressive industry.

Ideally, more companies would add it if this happened. We need more holidays anyway, as a country we get so much less time off than Europe.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the PA had guts, they'd demand a 60-65 team roster.
I believe PA is also under 50% of Football revenues. 47/48 to 52/53 PA to Owners. Need that up to 50/50 at least.
Plus get rid of franchise tags and 5th year options. Have true free agency once done rookie deal.

Get that 2nd bye week.

Would expect expanded rosters plus expanded game day rosters. PA needs to be strong here, unlike last time for that 17th game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad