Good players to never make the playoffs

The Tourettes Guy

Aug 13, 2005
Sudbury
I had a thought this evening. Has there ever been a really good player in the league who was around for several years and didn't make the playoffs once? I'd be really interested to see what players would fall under that category.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
This could very well be Ilya Kovalchuk`s legacy when he retires.

Guy Charron and Mike Dunham are the only two I can think of. Remember that almost every team made the playoffs in the 70s and 80s, so players from that era would have a hard time going many years without an appearance,

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
This could very well be Ilya Kovalchuk`s legacy.
Nah, Kovalchuk will make the playoffs this season. As long as Lehtonen stays healthy. Of course, if Kovalchuk plays in the playoffs like he did in Atlanta's final games this year, Kovalchuk won't last long.

Roberto Luongo hasn't made the playoffs yet. The prospect of that changing is iffy in Vancouver. Olli Jokinen hasn't played in the post-season yet, either, and I don't see that changing this year. Both were drafted in 1997, so they've been around for a while.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
How did I forget about Luongo? He is definitely the best who hasn`t made it yet.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Great minds think alike. Reckoning and GBC just posted the players I was thinking of.

Kovalchuk has gone 305 games without making the playoffs, but that should change fairly soon. Luongo's gone 341 games, I think he has a decent shot on Vancouver. Luongo is the best player to never make the playoffs (unless I'm making a major omissions).

The all-time record is probably 734 games for Guy Charron. I don't know much about him, but he seemed to be a pretty good offensive talent for a few years (with consecutive seasons of 71, 82, 73 and 70 points). He was certainly unlucky: he was stuck on the Wings, Scouts and Capitals. Does anybody know more about him?

Olli Jokinen is probably in the top five (in terms of most games played without making the playoffs-- but I don't have the numbers). He's gone 559 games.

In terms of the raw numbers... Vitali Yachmenev played 487 games without making the playoffs. Ron Lalonde, Jack Lynch and Yvon Labre played 397, 382 and 371 games respectively (mostly with the Capitals).

Cale Hulse played 619 regular season games and just 1 in the playoffs.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Great minds think alike. Reckoning and GBC just posted the players I was thinking of.

Kovalchuk has gone 305 games without making the playoffs, but that should change fairly soon. Luongo's gone 341 games, I think he has a decent shot on Vancouver. Luongo is the best player to never make the playoffs (unless I'm making a major omissions).

The all-time record is probably 734 games for Guy Charron. I don't know much about him, but he seemed to be a pretty good offensive talent for a few years (with consecutive seasons of 71, 82, 73 and 70 points). He was certainly unlucky: he was stuck on the Wings, Scouts and Capitals. Does anybody know more about him?

Olli Jokinen is probably in the top five (in terms of most games played without making the playoffs-- but I don't have the numbers). He's gone 559 games.

In terms of the raw numbers... Vitali Yachmenev played 487 games without making the playoffs. Ron Lalonde, Jack Lynch and Yvon Labre played 397, 382 and 371 games respectively (mostly with the Capitals).

Cale Hulse played 619 regular season games and just 1 in the playoffs.
Nice work, HO, as always. According to Wilkpedia, you are right. Guy Charron holds the record for most NHL games without playing in the playoffs. A pretty good player, too. Good enough to play in an all-star game, back when it actually meant something. Got lots of experience playing in the Worlds for Canada.

I can't imagine playing 11 years without making the playoffs. It would drive me insane. Here's the kicker: he was traded from Montreal to Detroit halfway through the 1970-71 season. Montreal went on to win the Cup. Always feel bad for the players who are victimized by that situation.

Younger fans might remember Charron for his coaching exploits in Calgary, Anaheim and Montreal. (Was a mid-season replacement for Calgary in 1991-92 and Anaheim in 2000-01. Both teams missed the playoffs).

The Tourettes Guy

Aug 13, 2005
Sudbury
Reading the replies to my thread, it really makes me feel bad for a guy like Darryl Sittler. Even though I hate the Leafs, he did make the playoffs a few times and only really had one run in the playoffs (the year they beat the Islanders) He really seemed to be a victim of horrible Toronto management, especially in the late 70's and early 80's. If there was one guy that deserved to win the cup it was him. BTW, I suggest reading his book because it's really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad