"Good on paper" [MOD: The Hockey News Article]

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Start the season already!!!!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-the-jets-can-get-from-good-on-paper-to-actually-good

The article failed to mention that in previous years, the Jets were plugging in and introducing new rookies on opening night (Multiple rookies in some years)

Will there be a Jet this year that will play their first ever NHL game? Where are Poolman and Niku in the defence pecking order? Is Kyle Connor still considered a rookie?
Kyle Connor is definitely a rookie. Less than 25 NHL games.
I have to think Poolman and Roslovic get shots this year, too. Not out of the question that Harkins, Lemieux, Spacek and Nogier get a cup or two of coffee.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine primarily plays LW.
Dano is an RW. Most wingers are OK with playing either side, but Dano in particular seems pretty lost as an LW.
I believe Roslovic can also play RW and I think Petan is an RW when he's not a C. Most of my non-WHL memories of him are of him playing the right half-wall, including the prettiest goal I've ever seen at the WJHC.

Laine was primarily a LW before the NHL. Dano was primarily a RW before Chi. Roslovic is a C/RW. Petan is a C/LW. I don't know if he has ever lined up on the RW 5v5.

I don't want to see Roslovic at RW as long as he remains our best bet for a middle 6 C. He is needed much more at C than at RW.

Wingers playing there opposite sides seems to be very much a European thing, for some reason. Ehlers seems to have completed the transition to LW. Laine is well on the way. Dano does not seem to be making the adjustment. If it were up to me I would just put him back at RW.

I think there are good reasons to switch these players to the conventional sides while they are young but if the switch doesn't take there is no need to force it. OTOH if the player adjusts well there is no reason to then switch back unless it is some temporary thing, like an injury fill-in. It is an obvious advantage to have wingers with substantial experience on both sides, particularly if they are near equally good at both.

I like to imagine giving opposing coaches headaches. :laugh: 2-3 years from now, when Laine is the dominant goal scorer in the league, some coach comes in prepared to shut him down on RW. 2nd period he is lining up at LW. :laugh:

Coaches have tried to convert Dano to LW in the past without success. I hope in this case PMo is not turning it into a battle of wills. If Dano can't/won't succeed at LW, put him back on the right side. Its not like we don't have room on the right. Dano could thrive at RW on a scoring 3rd line. MLA could be the best 4th line in the NHL. Or if nobody pushes Lowry down then Matthias - Copp - Armia could also be the best 4th line in the league. If Dano can't push Armia down then he is fine at 4RW too. It is just win/win/win.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Laine was primarily a LW before the NHL. Dano was primarily a RW before Chi. Roslovic is a C/RW. Petan is a C/LW. I don't know if he has ever lined up on the RW 5v5.

I don't want to see Roslovic at RW as long as he remains our best bet for a middle 6 C. He is needed much more at C than at RW.

Wingers playing there opposite sides seems to be very much a European thing, for some reason. Ehlers seems to have completed the transition to LW. Laine is well on the way. Dano does not seem to be making the adjustment. If it were up to me I would just put him back at RW.

I think there are good reasons to switch these players to the conventional sides while they are young but if the switch doesn't take there is no need to force it. OTOH if the player adjusts well there is no reason to then switch back unless it is some temporary thing, like an injury fill-in. It is an obvious advantage to have wingers with substantial experience on both sides, particularly if they are near equally good at both.

I like to imagine giving opposing coaches headaches. :laugh: 2-3 years from now, when Laine is the dominant goal scorer in the league, some coach comes in prepared to shut him down on RW. 2nd period he is lining up at LW. :laugh:

Coaches have tried to convert Dano to LW in the past without success. I hope in this case PMo is not turning it into a battle of wills. If Dano can't/won't succeed at LW, put him back on the right side. Its not like we don't have room on the right. Dano could thrive at RW on a scoring 3rd line. MLA could be the best 4th line in the NHL. Or if nobody pushes Lowry down then Matthias - Copp - Armia could also be the best 4th line in the league. If Dano can't push Armia down then he is fine at 4RW too. It is just win/win/win.

yup and even if they do shut him down, they will have to deal with
Ehlers, Vaseline, Connor, Wheeler, Scheif, Little, Roslo, etc...future looks as bright as it ever has.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
yup and even if they do shut him down, they will have to deal with
Ehlers, Vaseline, Connor, Wheeler, Scheif, Little, Roslo, etc...future looks as bright as it ever has.

Brighter, I think. We are SOOO going to surprise a lot of people this year. We're going to hear a lot of backpedalling from a lot of media 'experts'. Going to be a very entertaining year. :D

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Brighter, I think. We are SOOO going to surprise a lot of people this year. We're going to hear a lot of backpedalling from a lot of media 'experts'. Going to be a very entertaining year. :D

I think the only people we are going to surprise are the people who are thinking we are going to surprise a lot of people this year. But that shouldn't come as a surprise. ;)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the only people we are going to surprise are the people who are thinking we are going to surprise a lot of people this year. But that shouldn't come as a surprise. ;)

Jets may or may not surprise you but we know they won't disappoint you. :laugh: Can't get below those expectations.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I don't know. The pundits have largely picked the team to perform more or less how they ultimately have. Pointing out terrible goaltending, nothing being done to address it, porus defense, lacking discipline, poor special teams. All seemed to be spot on at the end of the day.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know. The pundits have largely picked the team to perform more or less how they ultimately have. Pointing out terrible goaltending, nothing being done to address it, porus defense, lacking discipline, poor special teams. All seemed to be spot on at the end of the day.

You haven't heard? They signed one of the better goalies in the league over the last 4 years.

Yes, the rest of those issues existed. If Maurice doesn't respond he will be gone.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Do you think the pundits are right about the Jets' prospects for this season?

Consider the following factors compared to last year, and share your perspectives as to whether they are likely to improve results.

Mason vs. Hutchinson
Kulikov instead of Chiarot / Stuart
22 more games with Trouba
Myers / Enstrom as 3rd pairing
Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey a year older
Connor more fully developed
Much more favourable schedule

I think those changes in aggregate should reasonably be expected to yield more points. Agree?

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you think the pundits are right about the Jets' prospects for this season?

Consider the following factors compared to last year, and share your perspectives as to whether they are likely to improve results.

Mason vs. Hutchinson
Kulikov instead of Chiarot / Stuart
22 more games with Trouba
Myers / Enstrom as 3rd pairing
Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey a year older
Connor more fully developed
Much more favourable schedule

I think those changes in aggregate should reasonably be expected to yield more points. Agree?

And Armia... The team was awful when he was out of the line up last season.

Love the way he plays.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And Armia... The team was awful when he was out of the line up last season.

Love the way he plays.

Dano, too.

It's also pretty remarkable that the Jets have so much talent that we rarely focus attention on Connor, who is actually an outstanding young talent that could be another top end forward.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Dano, too.

It's also pretty remarkable that the Jets have so much talent that we rarely focus attention on Connor, who is actually an outstanding young talent that could be another top end forward.

Isn't this a great problem to have. 3 or 4 years ago Conner would been all we would talk about going into the season, today he is almost loss in the shuffle of great young talent. When this team puts it all together they could become a real powerhouse in the league.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
One thing I'd like to see with the PP units this season is Byfuglien replacing Lowry down low as the net presence. Which means both Trouba & Myers will get quality PP time.

Laine
Scheifele
Ehlers
Wheeler
Little
Connor
Byfuglien
Trouba
Myers
Perreault
-----------
Morrissey
Petan (if/whenever he's in the lineup)

should play on the PP ahead of Adam.

Last edited:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
One thing I'd like to see with the PP units this season is Byfuglien replacing Lowry down low as the net presence. Which means both Trouba & Myers will get quality PP time.

Laine
Scheifele
Ehlers
Wheeler
Little
Connor
Byfuglien
Trouba
Myers
Perreault
-----------
Morrissey

I agree that Lowry should see zero time on the PP. Instead of Buff in front of the net for first pp minutes I rather see Wheeler there with Buff/Trouba on the right side point and Laine on the left. Scheifele and Perreault would make up the rest of the 1st PP unit. Perreault at mid boads and Scheifele roaming around looking for open ice.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
There is no way we shouldn't have one of the better PPs in the league.

Really, we should have a decent PK too.

...and if we don't? Nail in Mo's coffin afaic. And I like Maurice.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Laine
Scheifele
Ehlers
Wheeler
Little
Connor
Byfuglien
Trouba
Myers
Perreault
-----------
Morrissey

Insert homer drooling gif I agree with Buff in front

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I agree that Lowry should see zero time on the PP. Instead of Buff in front of the net for first pp minutes I rather see Wheeler there with Buff/Trouba on the right side point and Laine on the left. Scheifele and Perreault would make up the rest of the 1st PP unit. Perreault at mid boads and Scheifele roaming around looking for open ice.

Think you`re pretty close with this line of thinking for PP1. There seems however to be some reluctance to put Wheeler in this position - don`t really know if the coaches don`t recognize the potential of this arrangement, or, whether Wheeler has a decided preference to avoid it?

The PP should IMO be restuctured in concept - with much less emphasis to running things through the right-side pointman. With Laine`s special skillset, a 1:3:1 similar to what the Capitals run,, would have great potential. The key to significant improvement is to get improved play from the right-side half wall player, effectively making him the quarterback. At present, only Perreault and Petan show promise here but I believe Roslovic holds potential as well.Of course, the pointman has to read the play, and then execute, somewhat differently within the 1:3:1 as well.:)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Lowry would not be my first choice but the fact is that he was effective in that net front role. Credit where it is due.

I think (and who doesn't?) that our PP1 should be built to take max advantage of Laine. So maybe Lowry has a place on PP2.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
If Byfuglien remains on the point (1st unit) Trouba is going to get scrap minutes on the PP again. That led to a public trade request the last time.

The most dominant Buff has ever looked was as the net front presence in Chicago. With Laine taking over as the prime shooting threat on PP1 it should free up Buff to move down low.

PP1:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Buff
Laine - Trouba

PP2:

Perreault - Little - Connor
Wheeler - Myers/Morrissey
(Blake had some success last year after moving back to the point)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad