"Good on paper" [MOD: The Hockey News Article]

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Start the season already!!!!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-the-jets-can-get-from-good-on-paper-to-actually-good

The article failed to mention that in previous years, the Jets were plugging in and introducing new rookies on opening night (Multiple rookies in some years)

Will there be a Jet this year that will play their first ever NHL game? Where are Poolman and Niku in the defence pecking order? Is Kyle Connor still considered a rookie?

Also fails to mebtion the extreme injury situation.

But I really don't mind being an underdog going into this season. They also haven't really earned the benefit of the doubt either. I hope the team cones in with a chip on its shoulder.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
Also fails to mebtion the extreme injury situation.

But I really don't mind being an underdog going into this season. They also haven't really earned the benefit of the doubt either. I hope the team cones in with a chip on its shoulder.

Fails to mention the schedule situation (for whatever it's worth), which should be better this year:

In reference to "The key to getting over the hump: doing everything in their power to limit opposing scoring chances." and the penalty situation, saw this last week from TSN/Yost:

I think how they address their special teams issues this year is key...everything else seems to have been checked off. :popcorn:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Biggest thing this year that needs to get fixed is discipline and improved special teams. I like Pmo a lot but if we still struggle in those two areas in the first 6 weeks then he's toast, as that falls on coaching. Guys need to be held accountable and I mean all of them, and there is no reason why we can't have a good PP at least with our personel. Our goalies are good 5v5 so let's stop killing the most penalties.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
"Good on paper" almost always means people are understating the importance of goaltending and coaching. The opposite is true also: look at how many people are predicting Montreal will miss the playoffs and have done so every year.

A great top-6 will win you a few games more than an average top-6, but a bad goalie will lose you a lot more games than an average one.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
2020 VISION: WHAT THE WINNIPEG JETS ROSTER WILL LOOK LIKE IN THREE YEARS

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...peg-jets-roster-will-look-like-in-three-years

2020-WPG-jpg.jpeg

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
"But why doesn’t theory translate to success for this team far more often? Allow Laine to sum it up. Sometimes being new to English helps you simplify your language more, and he thus can’t beat around the bush.

“Last season, we just allowed too many goals,” he said “It’s hard if you have to score three or four goals every night to win.”
It’s the easiest answer but the truth."

Laine's poor language skills forcing him to say blunt truths, give me a break :laugh:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Not a great effort....

Here's mine...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Vesalainen-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Samberg-Poolman

Hellebuyck
Comrie

I agree with this, although I will admit I was hoping to see a Stanley - Myers 3rd pair just for fun.

The thing that really sticks out for me is how incredibly tough it's going to be to get a roster spot, even 3 years from now. This lineup doesn't have Petan, our 2018 1st round pick (whoever it is), Spacek, Harkins, Lemeiux, Appleton, Foley, Krakovsky, Stanley, Niku, Nogier, etc. etc.

We have the roster full of pretty much home grown talent (Kulikov being the exception. Little and Wheeler could be included as well) but the pipeline looks to be full as well which would allow us to package some of them up at the deadline to really load up.

It really does feel like we just need to get the goalies figured out. I still think Helle can be the guy, but if not that is the only missing piece of the puzzle. But it's an important piece.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Not a great effort....

Here's mine...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Vesalainen-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Samberg-Poolman

Hellebuyck
Comrie

Yep, I'd take that lineup as far superior any day of the year. All hinges on keeping Trouba, if we don't have him, it will make a huge diff.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Well, something has gone terribly wrong, if Laine is still playing off wing three years from now. Terribly wrong. He is so much more an offensive threat when he plays his natural LW position. Obviously he can play RW pretty decent as well, being the best Jet to do that, but I'm quite sure that you will see the light (figuratively and literally) when he plays LW on his prime.

I understand that he was having some difficulties making the plays in d-zone when playing LW in last year and that was the reason to move him into RW position, but it's not an easy task to play NHL hockey as an 18-year-old rookie in a NA rink.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not a great effort....

Here's mine...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Vesalainen-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Samberg-Poolman

Hellebuyck
Comrie

Better effort than the Hockey News for sure.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Not a great effort....

Here's mine...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Vesalainen-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Samberg-Poolman

Hellebuyck
Comrie

Much better! Perreault as 2nd line C is beyond strange. He's the same age as Little so why remove the better player?

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Well, something has gone terribly wrong, if Laine is still playing off wing three years from now. Terribly wrong. He is so much more an offensive threat when he plays his natural LW position. Obviously he can play RW pretty decent as well, being the best Jet to do that, but I'm quite sure that you will see the light (figuratively and literally) when he plays LW on his prime.

I understand that he was having some difficulties making the plays in d-zone when playing LW in last year and that was the reason to move him into RW position, but it's not an easy task to play NHL hockey as an 18-year-old rookie in a NA rink.

It means Maurice will still be here, so yes, terribly wrong may be an understatement.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

This has been covered like a hundred times. In the offensive zone the players have the freedom to switch sides. In the neutral and d zones play him on the easier side for him.

I wonder if Laine has the same angst over this as many fans do?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This has been covered like a hundred times. In the offensive zone the players gave the freedom to switch sides. In the neutral and d zones play him on the easier side for him.

I wonder if Laine has the same angst over this as many fans do?

Something that is being ignored is the roster balance. Jets have Laine, Wheeler and Armia on RW. 4RW is probably going to be filled by a LW moving over. At LW we have, Ehlers, Perreault, Connor, Copp, Petan, Matthias, some Moose. Did I miss any? Yes we could swap Laine and Ehlers but the fact is that we need RWs a lot more than we need LWs.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Something that is being ignored is the roster balance. Jets have Laine, Wheeler and Armia on RW. 4RW is probably going to be filled by a LW moving over. At LW we have, Ehlers, Perreault, Connor, Copp, Petan, Matthias, some Moose. Did I miss any? Yes we could swap Laine and Ehlers but the fact is that we need RWs a lot more than we need LWs.
Laine primarily plays LW.
Dano is an RW. Most wingers are OK with playing either side, but Dano in particular seems pretty lost as an LW.
I believe Roslovic can also play RW and I think Petan is an RW when he's not a C. Most of my non-WHL memories of him are of him playing the right half-wall, including the prettiest goal I've ever seen at the WJHC.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad