good news for the Flyers

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Scrivens earns AHL goaltender award

http://www.oyetimes.com/sports/76-hockey/21605-ben-scrivens-wins-harry-qhapq-holmes-memorial-award

Toronto Maple LeafsToronto's Backstop Allows Fewest Goals Against

The American Hockey League announced today that Ben Scrivens of the Toronto Marlies is the recipient of the Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award for the 2011-12 season. Since 1972, the award has been presented to the goaltender(s) with at least 25 games played on the team which allows the fewest goals in the regular season.

Toronto surrendered a league-low 175 goals in 2011-12, finishing its regular season on Sunday afternoon with a record of 44-24-5-3 and 96 points - the second-best finish in franchise history. Under the guidance of head coach Dallas Eakins, the North Division champions will be the second seed in the Western Conference in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs.

In his second professional season, Scrivens posted a 22-15-1 record and four shutouts in 39 appearances for the Marlies, leading the AHL with a 2.04 goals-against average and ranking fifth with a .926 save percentage. Scrivens also made his National Hockey League debut with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2011-12, going 4-5-2 in 12 outings.

Also contributing to the Marlies' goaltending success in 2011-12 were Jussi Rynnas, who went 11-9-1 (2.55, .910) with three shutouts in 22 games, and Mark Owuya, who was 11-5-1 (1.94, .929) with two shutouts in 19 games.

The Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award, which was first awarded in 1948 to the goaltender with the best goals-against average in the AHL, is named for Hockey Hall of Famer Harry "Hap" Holmes, a prominent figure in early professional hockey and an outstanding goaltender of his time.

In operation since 1936, the American Hockey League continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. More than 85 percent of all players competing in the NHL are AHL graduates, and through the years the American Hockey League has been home to more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. Sixteen clubs will continue to vie for the league's coveted championship trophy when the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs get under way on Thursday.

Help Oye! Times: Google knows what you may like by offering ads on the below and right side. If you think offers in Ads are misleading or not stating the true facts we would like to hear from you. Misleading ads will be removed. We need your input!

2dfa314d4654a4c71a0369fbcf12.jpeg

Ben Scrivens and Ben Bishop will fight for a bak-up spot next year.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Scrivens' strong play continues as he carries the Marlies to a 5-game defeat of Abbotsford to advance to the Western conference finals.

Of course, he's a Leafs goaltender, so naturally he'll look like the real thing all the way up until the Leafs sign him to a big extension, then he'll #### the bed. But I digress...

(As an aside, this is exactly what I wanted to see from Marlies coach Dallas Eakins in his first playoff coaching experience, and why I think the Leafs will regret bringing in Carlyle.)

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
He's a Flyers in HFNHL so he should be the next big thing. :nod: unless I got a very good offer :sarcasm:

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Glen Sather RANGERS Believes in Second Chances - The Story of Myles Bell

Yes i copy and past from http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.co...ves-in-Second-Chances-The-Story-of-Myles-Bell

But to an even greater extreme, in both talent and issues, there is Myles Bell. Bell is a defenseman who has now been passed over in two drafts, but two months prior to the 2011 draft he was seen as a top 20 pick in an extremely deep draft class. In this past season in the WHL he put up 15 goals and 41 points in 54 games.

Bell is an immense talent who has everything you look for in a defenseman. He skates well, he rushes the puck at will, he has great vision, an absolute bomb from the point(winning the CHL hardest shot competition with a 98 mph shot as a 17 year old), he is not only physical, but plays with a mean streak and drops the gloves, and his play in his own end has improved a bunch. He is also a right handed shot. Very valuable player.

http://gmbass.wordpress.com/2011/06/...39-myles-bell/

“He’s got tremendous offensive instincts,†said Regina coach Curtis Hunt. “That’s probably one of his greatest attributes. He’s got real good poise with the puck, a tremendous shot from the blue line and good vision across the top and in special-teams situations — and from behind the goal line. He has a good first pass, as well. He’s probably as tough as they come, and at 17 he can probably take on anyone (physically).â€
“He’s got very good hockey sense and sees the ice well,†said NHL Central Scouting’s Peter Sullivan. “He can either slow down the style of the game or speed it up when he wants to. He’s definitely got all the tools. He has a good shot. He’s used in all situations, both on the power play and penalty kill. He can lay out the big hits. He’s got all the aspects that you want in a defenseman.â€

Nonetheless, Sullivan said he believes Bell compares to one of the best in the NHL right now.
“This might be a little stretch, but he shows signs of being like Drew Doughty,†Sullivan said. “Doughty carries the puck and is excellent at both ends of the rink. He can throw the big hit, too. When (Bell) is on his game, that’s who Bell reminds me of a bit.â€
The start of Bell’s NHL journey will begin this summer when he is drafted into the League — and many believe his name will be called early.
“I definitely see him as a top-four defenseman because he’s excellent on the power play,†said Sullivan. “With the way he sees the ice, if he’s consistent, he can be a top-two, top-three defenseman.†http://www.thescoutingreport.org/6-whl-sleepers/

If it weren’t for a terrible off-ice incident last month, Bell’s fortunes on draft day could have been drastically different. He is a highly-skilled offensive defender capable of running a NHL powerplay with his big shot and a good passing ability. Combine his skills with his physical presence and there was a realistic possibility that he could have heard his named called on Day 1 of the draft as a late 1st rounder. Now with potential physical, psychological, and legal obstacles in front of him, Bell’s stock is sure to slide. How far remains to be determined, but with Bell being one of the youngest players available in this year’s draft, and with the talent he possesses, some team will surely take a chance on him given he is a high risk/high reward player with no prior history of this sort of thing.

Pros: Heavy Shot, good puck movement and offensive abilities, physical play, among youngest draft-eligible players
Cons: Defensive play, off-ice issues
Skillset comparison: similar style to Drew Doughty although very much a poor man’s version http://www.mynhldraft.com/2011/NHL-D...les/Myles-Bell

Myles Bell is a good sized defensive prospect, capable of scoring goals in bunches and laying out opponents with spectacular checks. Bell logs upwards of 23 minutes per game with the Pats, and is found on the ice in all situations, particularly special teams; he can run a Power Play, has a powerful and fairly accurate point shot and is an effective penalty killer. http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Blog-Artic...2011-NHL-Draft

Myles Bell, Regina, D- Unfortunately for Myles Bell I’d be surprised if he was drafted at all. Bell is in some legal trouble where is plausible that he could be serving some jail time. Without this problem Bell was an excellent prospect. I’ve loved Bell’s game in the three games I’ve seen him play in this season. He is a hard-hitting offensive defenseman that loves to join the rush. Some games he appears to be a river boat gambler type of defenseman that has great hands and a wicked shot. He does have a tendency to get caught up ice. Although Bell isn’t tall he is built like a fire hydrant and has no problem separating opponents from the puck. It’s too bad he made a bad decision because he was a prospect I was very excited about. http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/myles-bell/14839/

A promising offensiveman at this juncture, but his defensive game needs much work. In no way a one trick pony though. Has some gumption to throw the big check, and is working on being a better positionally strong defender. If you're buying, it is because of his abilities going up-ice and his long passing skills. Makes stickhandling and passing look easy. Huge point shot. As for the incident...

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc..._fatal_110430/

A Saskatchewan woman has died from her injuries after the car she was a passenger in crashed into a ditch.

The driver, a promising young Calgary hockey player is in hospital with unknown injuries.

Cochrane RCMP responded to the crash on Springbank Road, 5 km east of Highway 22 on April 30.

Police say the vehicle was traveling eastbound on Springbank Road when the driver lost control and rolled numerous times before coming to rest in the south ditch.

The18-year-old female passenger from Saskatchewan died from injuries she sustained in the crash.

Police say that alcohol and speed are likely factors in the collision.

The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of her family. As I said this occurred in 2011. He received two years probation and played this past season after being trade, likely due to his incident.

Some people will continue to condemn him, and I don't really know how to feel about it, but Sather has given him an invite to camp. I guess you can't expect him to throw his life away because of this mistake, and he has been given his punishment by the courts. He is however extremely good at hockey, possibly even better than Skjei, who we just used our 1st round pick on. We'll have to wait and see if we give him a contract.

ok *utos let's meet Myles Bell
Bell%2BMyles%2BREG3%2Baaron%2Bbell.jpg

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Gabriel Landeskog become the youngest Captain in NHL history

From http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404504

The Colorado Avalanche have made National Hockey League history.

On Tuesday, the club announced that forward Gabriel Landeskog has been named team captain. The 19-year-old becomes the youngest captain in NHL history, taking the mantle from Sidney Crosby, who was named the Penguins captain on May 31, 2007.

Landeskog takes over from Milan Hejduk who relinquished his role. Hejduk will remain an assistant captain this upcoming season along with Paul Stastny.

Landeskog becomes just the fourth captain in Colorado Avalanche history, joining Joe Sakic, Adam Foote and Hejduk.

Landeskog won the 2012 Calder Memorial Trophy as the NHL's rookie of the year, after scoring 22 goals and posting 30 assists in 82 games.

He was the second overall pick in the 2011 Entry Draft.

43dffbdd4429a34f58b707c0ba1b.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad