Speculation: Good news/bad news: 2020-21 Salary cap going up...or down

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
88 would be huge for us.

Eh, not really. We've got Stephenson, Roy, Cousins, & Whitecloud as RFA's, and Reavo, Lehner, Nosek, Merrill, & Engo as UFA's.

Getting 88 would require some big markets in the 1st round (NYR, Minny) plus a couple Canadian teams in the conference finals.

Or the Leafs making the 2nd round. :scared:

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Yeah, $84m would allow us to re sign pending RFAs and maybe 1 or 2 UFAs (skaters) who take a discount, but with a higher cap, who would do that? Also, since everyone will have more to spend, bidding on Lehner will undoubtedly raise his ask. If he's pulling $5m now, what does he command as UFA? You'd have to think that the floor will be $7m, right? Then if he shows well with VGK, there has to be a desperate team willing to lock him up in the $8m neighborhood, no?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, $84m would allow us to re sign pending RFAs and maybe 1 or 2 UFAs (skaters) who take a discount, but with a higher cap, who would do that? Also, since everyone will have more to spend, bidding on Lehner will undoubtedly raise his ask. If he's pulling $5m now, what does he command as UFA? You'd have to think that the floor will be $7m, right? Then if he shows well with VGK, there has to be a desperate team willing to lock him up in the $8m neighborhood, no?
Only 5 goalies make more than 6.4M:

Price, Bob, Hank, Flower, & Rask. 6M seems fair for Lehner, if you want him, give him term. Nobody's offering him term.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I would like to see signing Panda as the first priority. It isn't often you get your hooks on a top NHL goalie, especially while another top goalie is entering his waning years. The team has no goalie prospects that really inspire confidence.

Merrill and Engo will part ways. Reavo will re-sign for a reasonable deal or move on, because someone wants him enough to offer a good contract for a 4th liner. I think Stephenson, Roy, Whitecloud can be signed for pretty team-friendly deals, and I'm not sure about Cousins. We still have the option of trading off some cap in a good vet fwd, but if the cap goes high enough, we won't have to.

Reactions: theslatcher

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

He has said he won't be greedy, in so many words. He was once asked if he would take a discount because of his past mental struggles, and he said no. That was wrongfully construed as saying he wanted a fat contract.

If he can come to be happy here by end of postseason, he might stay for 5X5. He doesn't look happy right now, but he's a shy dude and I may be (I hope I am) misreading signals.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Only 5 goalies make more than 6.4M:

Price, Bob, Hank, Flower, & Rask. 6M seems fair for Lehner, if you want him, give him term. Nobody's offering him term.
Those contracts were signed in lower cap days. Not very relevant when teams are gifted several million.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Yes the higher the cap the more reasonable it is to give 8,9, even 10m to Lehner.

I'd rather pay 10mx5 to Lehner than 10mx8 to Bobrovski if I were a GM.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I would like to see signing Panda as the first priority. It isn't often you get your hooks on a top NHL goalie, especially while another top goalie is entering his waning years. The team has no goalie prospects that really inspire confidence.

Merrill and Engo will part ways. Reavo will re-sign for a reasonable deal or move on, because someone wants him enough to offer a good contract for a 4th liner. I think Stephenson, Roy, Whitecloud can be signed for pretty team-friendly deals, and I'm not sure about Cousins. We still have the option of trading off some cap in a good vet fwd, but if the cap goes high enough, we won't have to.
Sign Stephenson+Roy+Whitecloud(and add Glass) and we sit at 11F6D1G. Cousins might be insurance in case Reavo leaves.

Then there's Elvenes, & Dugan waiting, think Dugan spens a year in the A first, though.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
He has said he won't be greedy, in so many words. He was once asked if he would take a discount because of his past mental struggles, and he said no. That was wrongfully construed as saying he wanted a fat contract.

If he can come to be happy here by end of postseason, he might stay for 5X5. He doesn't look happy right now, but he's a shy dude and I may be (I hope I am) misreading signals.
Does he not have an agent? I've only been following hockey for a few years, so I'm not accustomed to the contract discounts that hockey players take. If Lehner continues his good numbers behind the VGK, I can't even imagine a scenario where some other team offers him less than $7m. And he would turn it down because he likes Vegas? That would be really cool, but I'm not holding my breath.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Knights have 71.9 committed to 8/5/1. Need 5/2/1 as a minimum to have an extra forward and d. At 84 it leaves 12.1 for those positions. Glass is 863,333. Roy is 720,000. I see Stephenson and Cousins around 1.3-1.6. I could see Reaves taking a bit of a drop and signing for 2m per year. That would be all of the forwards to run with 13. About 6.5M. Whitecloud and Hague as last 2 d. Whitecloud should sign for 1M or just over. Hague is 791,667. That would leave 3.6 for backup and 14th forward.

If it goes to 88, they would have 7.6 and could give Lehner 6M for 5 and have 1.5M for callups/bonuses.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Does he not have an agent? I've only been following hockey for a few years, so I'm not accustomed to the contract discounts that hockey players take. If Lehner continues his good numbers behind the VGK, I can't even imagine a scenario where some other team offers him less than $7m. And he would turn it down because he likes Vegas? That would be really cool, but I'm not holding my breath.
There have been a lot of GMs who are scared of his substance abuse issues and his bipolar disorder. I hope he is over them and with constant monitoring he won't have any relapses, but many GMs will not want to give a long term deal to him. That's why I think he can be had for 5.5 to 6 on a 5 year deal.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Knights have 71.9 committed to 8/5/1. Need 5/2/1 as a minimum to have an extra forward and d. At 84 it leaves 12.1 for those positions. Glass is 863,333. Roy is 720,000. I see Stephenson and Cousins around 1.3-1.6. I could see Reaves taking a bit of a drop and signing for 2m per year. That would be all of the forwards to run with 13. About 6.5M. Whitecloud and Hague as last 2 d. Whitecloud should sign for 1M or just over. Hague is 791,667. That would leave 3.6 for backup and 14th forward.

If it goes to 88, they would have 7.6 and could give Lehner 6M for 5 and have 1.5M for callups/bonuses.
Why would we need extras, exactly?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

He's been pretty clear that he wants stability. The subtext has been that he would take stability over short term high income.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Why would we need extras, exactly?
The AHL team won't always be 50 feet away. Sometimes the Knights will be in New York and the Henderson Whatevers will be in Stockton, CA. Sometimes a guy will get sick or injured at the last minute. No team runs without a couple of extra guys.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The AHL team won't always be 50 feet away. Sometimes the Knights will be in New York and the Henderson Whatevers will be in Stockton, CA. Sometimes a guy will get sick or injured at the last minute. No team runs without a couple of extra guys.
We've run with 1 extra for the vast majority of the season, an extra dman. Only after Martinez got acquired we've run with multiple extras.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

He always looks like that.

Same look as he did when he played for the Sens.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He's been pretty clear that he wants stability. The subtext has been that he would take stability over short term high income.

Carolina seems like a perfect fit for him in that regard. Not too high, not too low. They've got a fun little thing going on over there.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
We've run with 1 extra for the vast majority of the season, an extra dman. Only after Martinez got acquired we've run with multiple extras.
That's not what teams want to do. Being pressed so close to the salary cap that they can't carry an extra forward is not a long term plan.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Eh, not really. We've got Stephenson, Roy, Cousins, & Whitecloud as RFA's, and Reavo, Lehner, Nosek, Merrill, & Engo as UFA's.

I don't think Engelland will be back (retirement). Ambivalent about Reaves return. Lehner would be nice, but at what cost? Merrill probably not back. Nosek is about the only UFA guy I would like VGK to re-sign.

And how big a raise will those RFAs get?

Getting 88 would require some big markets in the 1st round (NYR, Minny) plus a couple Canadian teams in the conference finals.

Or the Leafs making the 2nd round. :scared:

Difference between $84 and $88 is realistically the NHLPA negotiated escalator, not who makes the playoffs/long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad