Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
5 times pulled within 20 games in only two postseasons is an alltime record. I haven't found a greater amount in modern era. I'll research some more.

I'll let this stat speak for itself. Last two postseasons Skinner pulled 5X. No other goalie is close to that. If you search last 10 seasons combined Skinner still among the most pulled in league despite having been in league only two post seasons.

I mean its hilarious except he's been our goalie..

Keeping in mind as well the stat specifically is Incompleted games. In some instances tallied due to injury. I don't know if NHL keeps a separate stat just on pulls. But we know in Skinners case all 5 pulls was due to terrible play. All fully deserved pulls, none due to injury.

There you go. Playing with your link, he's tied for 37th in NHL history for incomplete games.

Amongst goalies with at least 20 playoff starts, he has the lowest percentage of complete games in NHL history.

1715624592313.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Then Knobloch deserves to have permission to look for a new job for next season.

Can Pickard be better? Maybe
Can Pickard be worse? No

This is it for me.

Goalies have gone on random runs in the playoffs before, the only thing we can hope for is Pickard has a random run in him. Like you said, he's not going to be any worse than what we've seen from Skinner in Game 1-3 so may as well see if there is any magic.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Interesting breakdown. I like your explanations and see that too as plausible. Giving it the humorous Peter sellers undertones makes it somewhat easier to take as well, and laugh at it. I was using Monty Python angles myself. heh
It’s sad when the Black Knight (he with no limbs) is a better option for the Oilers in goal next game, than Disco Stu. ;)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
5 times pulled within 20 games in only two postseasons is an alltime record. I haven't found a greater amount in modern era. I'll research some more.

I'll let this stat speak for itself. Last two postseasons Skinner pulled 5X. No other goalie is close to that. If you search last 10 seasons combined Skinner still among the most pulled in league despite having been in league only two post seasons.

I mean its hilarious except he's been our goalie..

Keeping in mind as well the stat specifically is Incompleted games. In some instances tallied due to injury. I don't know if NHL keeps a separate stat just on pulls. But we know in Skinners case all 5 pulls was due to terrible play. All fully deserved pulls, none due to injury.

Another beauty, amongst goalies to have started at least 20 games in the playoffs, he has the 5th lowest percentage of games played with a save percentage over .900 in the league's history since they've started tracking save percentage.

Reactions: TB12 and iCanada

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another beauty, amongst goalies to have started at least 20 games in the playoffs, he has the 5th lowest percentage of games played with a save percentage over .900 in the league's history since they've started tracking save percentage.
see my edit. wasn't finished, said the same thing. Its startling.

Last edited:
Reactions: bone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I honestly was skim reading (speed reading habit I use) and had to read this part twice…
Damn you! hehe

Wasn't playing but the wife was wondering why I was replaying the front row blonde quite a lot just looking for KK's reaction and expressions on the bench. I know that I'm with other "men of culture" when I see freeze frames of he Blonde woman posted up here in the "Game" thread.

god is good, or he must be. One could say a plentiful and generous god.

But then again he makes buxom creatures like this and tells Adam not to play with her..thats a biblical reference for the heathens in here. ;)

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The sad thing is in a lot of ways he would be the home town kid success story if he simply rolled the game that he has played largely since November into the playoffs.

He's no superstar in the regular season, but he is reliable most of the time, gives at least bare average "enough to win" goaltending most of the time, and you more or less know what you'll get. Then playoffs start and he completely implodes.

There have been playoff choke goalies before, but I feel like this is on another level. How do you possibly go from being consistently pretty good to not qualified to play in the NHL like this? How do you even manage out of it? Keep him and hope he doesn't blow up next year? Or trade him and play goalie Russian roulette again?
Regular season is just so different. Get into playoffs and everything changes with series format where game planning dials into exploiting weaknesses. Intensity ratches up. There is consequence for losing and mistakes push teams to extinction. Skinner's the most unproven, inexperienced at NHL level on a uber veteran team. Can ride through that at forward. But it can be crushing for individual and team at the most important (and exposed) position.

Skinner is unfortunately cooked. I fully believe Knoblauch has decided to start Pickard next game and rely on this team to continue to push zone time away from its goaltenders and hope a veteran journeyman can get up to the 'average' goaltending they proclaim to only need.

Off-season is too far away until this team ultimately plays its last game. Expecting the Campbell buy-out but personally thinking they will have to find a proven #1 and step back Skinner to the expected slow cook development path. He could still develop into an adequate starting goalie with two-year years of growth. Have to be careful like this organization saw with Dubnyk. But entirely recalibrate expectations around this guy.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Interesting breakdown. I like your explanations and see that too as plausible. Giving it the humorous Peter sellers undertones makes it somewhat easier to take as well, and laugh at it. I was using Monty Python angles myself. heh
In Monty Python terms, Skinner would be the Black Knight. Belief and self confidence until it is unraveled under extreme adversity.

"Tis but a scratch". But unfortunately the results haven't followed and now the mental aspect is cooked. Team will reset under Pickard and either step up to be better or lose more limbs sadly often self-induced.

EDIT: seeing dudes of similar vintage conjuring up the same classic scene. @brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The sad thing is in a lot of ways he would be the home town kid success story if he simply rolled the game that he has played largely since November into the playoffs.

He's no superstar in the regular season, but he is reliable most of the time, gives at least bare average "enough to win" goaltending most of the time, and you more or less know what you'll get. Then playoffs start and he completely implodes.

There have been playoff choke goalies before, but I feel like this is on another level. How do you possibly go from being consistently pretty good to not qualified to play in the NHL like this? How do you even manage out of it? Keep him and hope he doesn't blow up next year? Or trade him and play goalie Russian roulette again?
Playoffs features good teams with good players that usually have scorers and good PP's. When those clubs play with intensity all on the line they will create offensive chances and expose goalies not up to the task. This has been the way since time immemorial. ;)

But Skinner wasn't the right goalie to be facing the Canucks specifically and I said this before the series. The Kings other than Kempe were not testing Skinner at all. They had nobody going and were just playing prevent 1-3-1. Skinnner had to be better against Canucks who pressure in offensive zone and has not been adequate playing them in either regular season or playoffs.

Its ironic perhaps that the same team that exposed our goaltending in game 1 and every game after that is still doing it now. There is no wonder about whether Skinner is good enough to withstand this. He is not.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Playoffs features good teams with good players that usually have scorers and good PP's. When those clubs play with intensity all on the line they will create offensive chances and expose goalies not up to the task. This has been the way since time immemorial. ;)

But Skinner wasn't the right goalie to be facing the Canucks specifically and I said this before the series. The Kings other than Kempe were not testing Skinner at all. They had nobody going and were just playing prevent 1-3-1. Skinnner had to be better against Canucks who pressure in offensive zone and has not been adequate playing them in either regular season or playoffs.

Its ironic perhaps that the same team that exposed our goaltending in game 1 and every game after that is still doing it now. There is no wonder about whether Skinner is good enough to withstand this. He is not.

For sure it's harder to play goal in the playoffs, no doubt about it.

This isn't the first time an unproven goalie has played in the playoffs though, and I can't recall any of them having issues this drastic and stark. MAF had some issues in the early 2010's letting in back breakers at terrible times in the playoffs, but it wasn't a case of not being able to play the full 60, he just blew up at bad times. Skinner can't even get out of the gate.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

This isn't the first time an unproven goalie has played in the playoffs though, and I can't recall any of them having issues this drastic and stark. MAF had some issues in the early 2010's letting in back breakers at terrible times in the playoffs, but it wasn't a case of not being able to play the full 60, he just blew up at bad times. Skinner can't even get out of the gate.

Tbh usually unproven goaltenders have an advantage in they playoffs. Frequently they go out and have a ton of success.

Binnington/Murray/Ward all won cups as rookies

And some other great rookie playoff runs: Holtby, Bryzgalov, Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Salo, Etc.

Big difference between Skinner and those guys is mainly that Skinner just isn't very good.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Skinner is a blockform goalie who is slow with poor mechanics who has questionable reaction time who can't make a great save on a well placed shot. Which you tend to see a lot of in postseasons and in the goals getting by him.

Skinner is very susceptible to marksmen, always has been, and is prone to not reading setplays, which also feature in playoffs as teams tend to unpack some newer wrinkles to get some big goals.

Nucks are well coached. I've been saying for years Skinner is very susceptible to pump fakes. Nucks are employing this. Fake shot, pass, Fake shot, keep moving, get Skinner moving, score. The pump action is killing Skinner. Predictably due to his slow movement and inadequate form moving across. Its also completely opening up the pass across by freezing Skinner with the pump fake. He doesn't have the mobility to deal with both options.

But again the bottom line is Skinner has always been poor against the Canucks. Sure I expected the Oilers to defend better than they did, and they have, but no team is going to be able to just stop the other club from getting any chances.

In both losses Skinner has been incapable of making stops. In game 1 4GA in 24mins of play while seeing one HDSC in that segment.

Game 3 he gives up 4GA in 40mins in facing 6HDSC

In game 2 in order to win the Oilers had to basically prevent Nucks from even getting shots on goal. The Oilers were desperate not to allow any, becaue Skinner was in net. Even in only giving up 4 sog in third period and OT of that game (phenomenal) Skinner gave up a shortside post that very nearly sunk us. Having not adjusted anything since Zadorov beat him same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: iCanada

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Skinner is a young developing goalie. The preseason plan was to have Campbell in the net, with Skinner as backup, but here we are riding a long shot into the playoffs. Not exactly a great spot for a goalie or coach.

I know goaltending isn't linear, but 25 isn't as young as you think it is.

Jake Oettenger is 25.
Vasilevsky won a Vezina at 24 (Won a cup at 25)
Sheshterkin won a Vezina at 26.
Binnington won his cup at 26

The problem is Skinner is showing he doesn't have it, and never will.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Tbh usually unproven goaltenders have an advantage in they playoffs. Frequently they go out and have a ton of success.

Binnington/Murray/Ward all won cups as rookies

And some other great rookie playoff runs: Holtby, Bryzgalov, Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Salo, Etc.

Big difference between Skinner and those guys is mainly that Skinner just isn't very good.
Hill wasn’t starting last year for Vegas entering the playoffs either I think……

If Knobend starts Skinner in game 4 and he shits the bed again and we go down 3-1 there should be no question he should be fired. If Pickard starts and struggles I can’t blame Knobend for that, you have to try down 2-1. I just don’t know if he has the balls to do it, this team needs discipline and intensity and our coach could be a zombie on the Walking Dead.

Reactions: iCanada

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Yep. Its absolutely amazing how a person in professional sports, in the highest rung of the sport in the whole world has convinced so many hockey people that he could prevail despite basic athleticism. Man, what did his combine numbers show? Skinners best skill is snowing people. Ironically one of the people he snowed, Woodcroft manufactures all the same charms to success.

The position specifically involves athleticism. Skinner doesn't even have the training physiological prerequisites for the position. He didn't even lie on his resume, he didn't have to, hockey people were busy doing it for him saying how great he was going to be.

Its a Willie Dewitt type story that ends in brutal knockout. Also a cheesy made for TV movie and the end of a career.

Even the NHL mainstream press are now finally getting exactly how bad Skinner is in goal. Among the worst playoff starters ever. The same press that were trying to sell Skinner for years are even turning on him. the Oilers org would be mocked, deservedly, if they decided to start Skinner in game 4.
Absolutely, Lundqvist and Hrudey have both mocked him, this from the goalies union who almost always have each other’s back.
Skinner will cost us another year of McDrai’s prime. F*** Holland and f*** Skinner

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Team wise they tip toe'd into the game again. They weren't ready for war at first puck drop.

A vicious cycle with the Oilers historically. A team that absolutely can't deal with it's own success. The first sign of victory it's feat up. Just not the sign of a mature team that's all on board unfortunately.

Goaltending wise it's pretty much the same thing. Skinner can't make big saves. He doesn't give up any cheeser's really. But his Grade A save percentage has to be pretty poor. Got yer back had a great line that pretty much describes Skinner. He doesn't pull any goals out of your net.

I feel for a lot of players on this team as there's a bout 5-7 players really letting the rest down.

Kane
RNH
Perry
McLeod
Nurse
Ceci
Foegle

They've all hurt the team more then they've helped the team this series. That's rough and tough thing to admit. Combine that with goaltending that may be historic poor. I really feel for the other 12 or so players that are out there fighting for every inch.

It's the toughest time of the season and the Oilers only have 2/3 buy in imo.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Team wise they tip toe'd into the game again. They weren't ready for war at first puck drop.

A vicious cycle with the Oilers historically. A team that absolutely can't deal with it's own success. The first sign of victory it's feat up. Just not the sign of a mature team that's all on board unfortunately.

Goaltending wise it's pretty much the same thing. Skinner can't make big saves. He doesn't give up any cheeser's really. But his Grade A save percentage has to be pretty poor. Got yer back had a great line that pretty much describes Skinner. He doesn't pull any goals out of your net.

I feel for a lot of players on this team as there's a bout 5-7 players really letting the rest down.

Kane
RNH
Perry
McLeod
Nurse
Ceci
Foegle

They've all hurt the team more then they've helped the team this series. That's rough and tough thing to admit. Combine that with goaltending that may be historic poor. I really feel for the other 12 or so players that are out there fighting for every inch.

It's the toughest time of the season and the Oilers only have 2/3 buy in imo.

What's hilarious, I got endlessly mocked by people like @Stoneman89 for wanting to trade Kane before the season started because he isn't the player he used to be. It was argued "he will turn it on in the playoffs, you need him in the playoffs" where is he? Outside of the 1 game in LA- he has been a ghost

I said Nurse and Ceci were a disaster (like many on here). I said Foegele should have been moved. These players are what they are. Quite a few folks on here mock analytics but they show trends that you can draw conclusions from. This list doesn't surprise me at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad