Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Wholly molley.

Playing Campbell would be the start of the exodus of high end talent from this team.

Lol I'm sure they'd prefer we just go back to 5kinner.

Skinner is a young developing goalie. The preseason plan was to have Campbell in the net, with Skinner as backup, but here we are riding a long shot into the playoffs. Not exactly a great spot for a goalie or coach.
This means that any coaching choice regarding the net will be a gamble….Skinner or Picard. While the coaches can X/O and strategize the skaters and game plans, they don’t have any control with the play of the net minders.
All they can do is go with their best info/hunches and keep a short leash.

He isn't young. He's literally only 16 months younger than McDavid.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To be fair....Eck and Bouch have been stapled to the McDraib line....while the other olay with our yet again, inept depth. With that being said....Nurse and Ceci have been atrocious in every way. Sit Ceci for Stecher and play Pickard.
They’re not even going up against top competition and they’re still getting destroyed.

Reactions: Mez

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
We're not talking about a charisma on the level of a guy that obtains a cult following of thousands and gets them to drink koolaid. We're talking a buddy charm, a guy that has learned to be likable, that is always telling his big long story (its undeniable Skinner has used that) to sell himself. Skinner is on the level of a Salesman that sells charm to sell product. Himself. Woody is the same identical species. its ironic they ultimately sink each other.

I like your angle too and will have to watch the movie again. haha.

I also get the convenience angle and that Skinner was just there laying around and the team tapped him. Ironically the org did the same with Woodcroft, with VD too. The latter at least imo works hard to be the best he can be albeit with not great skillsets, VD effort on ice is undeniable. I'll give him that.
It's an amazing movie and a great lesson especially so in the Internet Era of faux experts and influencers. We all want to believe in something and often project signs and read into things. Skinner seemed a miracle godsend for a team often lacking a fortunate roll (win McDavid lottery have Chiarelli strip-mine the team; have a maturing d-corp with Klefbom, Larsson and support guy Nurse; FINALLY sign a 'franchise goalie' Campbell and watch him implode immediately; covid frozen cap cramping spending options) - hometown kid; cheap in-house option; a rare draft and development success story that just never seems to happen for the Oilers.

I see Chance the Butler.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Edmonton's D pairs at 5v5 so far against Vancouver

Ekholm-Bouchard
XGF: 76.88%
SCF: 77.50% (31-9)
HDCF: 75% (18-6)
Goals 3-1

Nurse-Ceci

XGF: 18.24%
SCF: 30% (9-21)
HDCF: 8.33% (1-11)
Goals 1-5

Kulak-Desharnais

XGF: 56.64%
SCF: 53.13 (15-13)
HDCF: 66.67% (6-3)
Goals: 0-1

Ek-Bouch dominating
Kulak-Desharnais holding their own
Nurse-Ceci getting thrashed like a dog shakes small prey to kill it.

Ceci and nurse have been f***ing awful.

They're a non-issue though compared to Skinner. Even with them being a boat anchor we're still more than making up for it with the other two pairings, particularly since in raw TOI magnitude Ceci and Nurse have been 3rd pair. You can win with a shit 3rd pair.

But Skinner is just killing us. You can't win with that kind of goaltending. If you fix goaltending we're up 3-0 right now. If you fix Ceci and Nurse were still down 2-1.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t think he meant to do that, didn’t expect Zadorov to knock him down at the same time. Looked to me like he was trying to hit him in the upper chest. Would’ve liked more of a response though I agree
Soucy is grinning like a sadist as he crosschecks McD in the face. Probably a closet Flames fan as a kid hating the Oilers all his life and getting a chance to stick McD in the face, after the game. I don't know why we would give Soucy or zadorov any benefit of grace in what they were obviously doing to McD post game. In a league that somehow allows that to occur.

Think about it this way NHL. If that happened during the 60mins even your deplorable officating would call that two penalties on the Nucks and a possible major and game misconduct. In my mind its worse for those actions to occur post game as they culpable premeditated acts purposely occurring post game in the hope that the clowns will get away with it. One being Zadorov who already had to be spoken to multiple times in the game, in the series, and the prior series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Surprised and glad to see the League is going to look at the McDavid cross check. I still expect the League to f*** us though and we don’t see any supplemental discipline.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Soucy is grinning like a sadist as he crosschecks McD in the face. Probably a closet Flames fan as a kid hating the Oilers all his life and getting a chance to stick McD in the face, after the game. I don't know why we would give Soucy or zadorov any benefit of grace in what they were obviously doing to McD post game. In a league that somehow allows that to occur.

Think about it this way NHL. If that happened during the 60mins even your deplorable officating would call that two penalties on the Nucks and a possible major and game misconduct. In my mind its worse for those actions to occur post game as they culpable premeditated acts purposely occurring post game in the hope that the clowns will get away with it. One being Zadorov who already had to be spoken to multiple times in the game, in the series, and the prior series.

Have we confirmed Skinner wasn't a closet flame's fan as a child? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Some of the stats coming to light on Skinner are mind boggling.

• Worst save percentage in Oiler's history for goalies with a complete game played.
  • Worst playoff save percentage in the cap era by any goalie to play in more than 11 games.
  • 2nd worst save percentage in the NHL since 1990 amongst goalies to have played at least 20 playoff games (only Dan Cloutier, a well known playoff choker with worse).
  • 13th worst save percentage in all history amongst the 135 goalies to play at least 20 playoff games since they started tracking it (bottom 10% all time).
  • overall stats vs. any team that isn't LA
    • 9 starts, 3-6 record, 0.852 save percentage, 4.13 GAA
    • median game by game save percentage of 0.826
    • Pulled 4 times in game
    • 2 total games with a save percentage over. 0.85 (both games Edmonton jumped out to a 4-0 lead).
Any other good ones I've missed?

At this point, how can anyone truly believe Campbell would be even worse?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

• Worst save percentage in Oiler's history for goalies with a complete game played.
  • Worst playoff save percentage in the cap era by any goalie to play in more than 11 games.
  • 2nd worst save percentage in the NHL since 1990 amongst goalies to have played at least 20 playoff games (only Dan Cloutier, a well known playoff choker with worse).
  • 13th worst save percentage in all history amongst the 135 goalies to play at least 20 playoff games since they started tracking it (bottom 10% all time).
    • Pulled 4 times in game
    • 2 total games with a save percentage over. 0.85 (both games Edmonton jumped out to a 4-0 lead).

Wow that is insane.

• Wow
Reactions: bone

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I dunno, all he did was play video games on the couch while eating boxes of donuts while skipping school because mom is outworking two jobs. ;)

I think this doughboy liked Timmies more than any team.

this is jk btw. no need for others to be offended.

The sleeper agent angle does make a lot of sense.

Hence why the open net, let alone Pickard, had a better HDSC save % last night than Skinner.

I dunno, all he did was play video games on the couch while eating boxes of donuts while skipping school because mom is outworking two jobs. ;)

I think this doughboy liked Timmies more than any team.

this is jk btw. no need for others to be offended.

The sleeper agent angle does make a lot of sense.

Hence why the open net, let alone Pickard, had a better HDSC save % last night than Skinner.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Skinner needs to play better. He’s far from the only one. You can’t consistently win games with one line scoring and your second pair getting beaten like a rented mule game after game.
But that’s the thing. I’m not convinced Skinner can play better. I’m at the point where every indication shows that “what you see is what you get” with Skinner. He’s an adequate backup or 1B goalie but I don’t see anything that shows he can lead a team to a championship. I think he’s punching above his skill set. I’d love to be proven wrong though.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

• Pulled 4 times in game

Last night Silovs made more saves (9) and faced more shots (11) in Edmonton's 7:07 of power play time than Skinner did in 33:39 of even-strength time (8 saves, 10 shots).

;)

Reactions: TB12 and bone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

• Pulled 4 times in game

5 times pulled within 20 games in only two postseasons is an alltime record. I haven't found a greater amount in modern era. I'll research some more.

I'll let this stat speak for itself. Last two postseasons Skinner pulled 5X. No other goalie is close to that. If you search last 10 seasons combined Skinner still among the most pulled in league despite having been in league only two post seasons.

I mean its hilarious except he's been our goalie..

Keeping in mind as well the stat specifically is Incompleted games. In some instances tallied due to injury. I don't know if NHL keeps a separate stat just on pulls. But we know in Skinners case all 5 pulls was due to terrible play. All fully deserved pulls, none due to injury.

The last thing ot mention on the list is if looking at 10 or 20 past years all other goalies on the list of most pulled are elite level goalies that have elite save % and kept getting justified starts because they are elite. None of these goalies has a dopey 880 save % like Skinner. He's all alone in that regard. The others all earned the trust through stellar play for prolonged periods. Skinner earned none of his.

There is no other goalie on this list that the team afforded 20 or more starts with this poor a save % and 5 pulls. No other team has done this. Sorted for last 10yrs

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I just don't think Skinner is very good, pressure or no pressure.

Idk, I think he's got a certain charisma and allure. Look around this board, people are still defending him. My mom is mostly distraught about poor Skinner's feelings instead of anything else.

He also managed to con the team into thinking that us needing to be perfect defensively in order for him to not get lit up didn't mean he was garbage and meant they suck defensively.

But we're at the end of the road - we've fully bought in to effective defending schemes and been taught by yeoman veterans who have made a career of doing it and seen many teams do it successfully. Just imagine what Perry thinks, some of the miraculous saves he's seen in Anaheim, Dallas, Tampa, Montreal.... Lol. Or Ekholm. 😂
Pretty clear on your pov. Skinner was a mid-level prospect. He's a capable NHL backup which is what he was intended to be with the organization big game hunting for a window years veteran steeled #1 goaltender. Failing on identifying Campbell to be 'the guy' cratered this team on-ice and in ability to navigate around the $5 mill by 5 invested in him.

On the Oilers we often see both things can be true: goaltending can and does suck and team defending can go MIA to help opposition feast on high danger freebies. Just ask Foegele. The Oilers despite 'rep' as a team perceived as a Cup hopeful one have had 3 coaches in the past several years with incredible lows and incredible highs. Goaltending is a big issue. But also just ask Foegele. And cue up Perry and Ekholm question to see if they experienced such incredible low thinking team defending moments in tight playoff hockey.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Wholly molley.

Playing Campbell would be the start of the exodus of high end talent from this team.
Sticking with Skinner in the next game will be even more problematic. They know what play off Stu is gonna give them,
That being much less than, average goaltending.

Knob, do something.

Reactions: iCanada

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
5 times pulled within 20 games in only two postseasons is an alltime record. I haven't found a greater amount in modern era. I'll research some more.

I'll let this stat speak for itself. Last two postseasons Skinner pulled 5X. No other goalie is close to that. If you search last 10 seasons combined Skinner still among the most pulled in league despite having been in league only two post seasons.

I mean its hilarious except he's been our goalie..

Keeping in mind as well the stat specifically is Incompleted games. In some instances tallied due to injury. I don't know if NHL keeps a separate stat just on pulls. But we know in Skinners case all 5 pulls was due to terrible play. All fully deserved pulls, none due to injury.

I'm surprised that the internet isn't flooded with Skinner letting in beachball memes tbh.

Even as an Oilers fan is quite frankly kind of hilarious.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Wtf I got thread banned from mains thread for saying that ilthe cross check happened to Ep40 Vancouver would be up in flames... anyone else have something like that happen?
Only one fan base is allowed to be trolled in that thread.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's an amazing movie and a great lesson especially so in the Internet Era of faux experts and influencers. We all want to believe in something and often project signs and read into things. Skinner seemed a miracle godsend for a team often lacking a fortunate roll (win McDavid lottery have Chiarelli strip-mine the team; have a maturing d-corp with Klefbom, Larsson and support guy Nurse; FINALLY sign a 'franchise goalie' Campbell and watch him implode immediately; covid frozen cap cramping spending options) - hometown kid; cheap in-house option; a rare draft and development success story that just never seems to happen for the Oilers.

I see Chance the Butler.
Interesting breakdown. I like your explanations and see that too as plausible. Giving it the humorous Peter sellers undertones makes it somewhat easier to take as well, and laugh at it. I was using Monty Python angles myself. heh

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Our scouting is supposed to be "fine and dandy" to some because we got Skinner and McLeod playing prominent roles. No other organization but the Oilers would be giving these players prime minutes.

Third line center and starting goaltender. You can't overcome that disadvantage and I can't overcome the feeling that the draft is fake and the Oilers aren't really supposed to do anything in the playoffs by design.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I see Chance the Butler.

The sad thing is in a lot of ways he would be the home town kid success story if he simply rolled the game that he has played largely since November into the playoffs.

He's no superstar in the regular season, but he is reliable most of the time, gives at least bare average "enough to win" goaltending most of the time, and you more or less know what you'll get. Then playoffs start and he completely implodes.

There have been playoff choke goalies before, but I feel like this is on another level. How do you possibly go from being consistently pretty good to not qualified to play in the NHL like this? How do you even manage out of it? Keep him and hope he doesn't blow up next year? Or trade him and play goalie Russian roulette again?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm surprised that the internet isn't flooded with Skinner letting in beachball memes tbh.

Even as an Oilers fan is quite frankly kind of hilarious.
I've never seen a goalie here given so much blanket, and benefit of doubt. Meanwhile several posters hated Roloson who was actually good. Several hated the way he looked. One poster actually went as far, here, as saying "I wouldn't trust that pedophile to babysit my kid"

I just mention that because so much of human like, dislike seems to be appearance and persona based. No end of people that would think Roloson was a "bald old goof in net" even though he was very good. It was a minority segment, but very vocal in the many ways they despised Roloson. The board migrated a few times so fortunately a lot of that is lost.

Reactions: iCanada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad