Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Suspect they go with Skinner next game. I just don't see how pickard gets a start.

If they lose Knob pulls "our leadership team wanted to go this direction".

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I just don't think Skinner can handle the pressure of playing for his hometown in the playoffs. We should start Pickard next game and if he plays bad just got to Campbell for the game after. I have more faith in a rusty Campbell over playoff Skinner.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not exactly. He had better numbers than Skinner when he was sent down- it was his contract

I doubt we have seen the last of Skinner. He will likely play next game. Knob is ultra-conservative in his choices and doesnt like to get people upset. He doesn't want to upset Ceci or Skinner.

Not sitting Skinner was the first step in Woody getting fired.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Explains how unathletic he is and unable to even move an inch laterally. He's not a born athlete and never did the work to evelate his athleticism in any way, and here we are.
Yep. Its absolutely amazing how a person in professional sports, in the highest rung of the sport in the whole world has convinced so many hockey people that he could prevail despite basic athleticism. Man, what did his combine numbers show? Skinners best skill is snowing people. Ironically one of the people he snowed, Woodcroft manufactures all the same charms to success.

The position specifically involves athleticism. Skinner doesn't even have the training physiological prerequisites for the position. He didn't even lie on his resume, he didn't have to, hockey people were busy doing it for him saying how great he was going to be.

Its a Willie Dewitt type story that ends in brutal knockout. Also a cheesy made for TV movie and the end of a career.

Even the NHL mainstream press are now finally getting exactly how bad Skinner is in goal. Among the worst playoff starters ever. The same press that were trying to sell Skinner for years are even turning on him. the Oilers org would be mocked, deservedly, if they decided to start Skinner in game 4.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I just don't think Skinner can handle the pressure of playing for his hometown in the playoffs. We should start Pickard next game and if he plays bad just got to Campbell for the game after. I have more faith in a rusty Campbell over playoff Skinner.
I also have more faith in a rusty cambell over pickard

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Whether one calls it falseness or not, skinner manufactures a persona life story for anybody that will listen. From what I've heard in direct quotes of him, others, he certainly wins people over. He has the charm and manufactures that to do it. He convinces people that he works harder than anybody else and will do more to be good in the show than anybody and yet also has divulged he hadn't even taken training seriously until not many years ago. "I couldn't climb a set of stairs" "I didn't train, I was lazy" . All these comments are there but Skinner convinced hockey people, and still does, that he's more worthy of getting the prize, the starters prize than anybody else. He manufactures this belief in him in other peoples minds. That doesn't come along by accident.

As I said elsewhere people could respond "well its great people believed in Skinner, whats the problem" The concern is in relation to Skinner, to other goalies, he's always been able to charm his way to the inside track. Even when it wasn't deserved, earned or that he had the acumen or experience for it. He convinced a whole org he was going to be their guy.

Meanwhile a punter like me could spot the numerous holes in his game his skill deficits from the first times watching him. It was so apparent. This guy is really good at fooling people. That comes at the expense of other goalies that perhaps were just as deserving of the chances or maybe more deserving. Skinner is here because he's good at selling himself. Too bad he isn't as good at being an NHL starter, and too bad he didn't his passion earlier on. He got serious about goaltending too late. far later than elite goalies generally do.
I don't see Skinner as charismatic or able or willing to fool people. More Peter Sellers in 'Being There' where people choose to believe what they want about a pretty simple, straight forward dude. People build the mythology around him.

A guy who can't believe his good fortune to have the culmination of his life's ambition realized, then the fortune (bad and good) for the expected #1 veteran goaltender to completely implode to open the door for Skinner to walk through. This team, when dialed in, can virtually win with anyone in net and we see that with goaltending results following team play after two coaching changes in three years as a supposed deep playoff team. Skinner's trajectory was to be an NHL back-up through 3-4 years of Campbell rule gradually over time pushing for #1 responsibilities. He got pushed into the deep end, amazingly treaded water without drowning, but now under unforgiving playoff intensity, the gaps in both his mental game and technical game are unravelling. He's put in the hard miles and work to earn an NHL job but to be the guy on this franchise's team at this white hot moment of window time, the flaws are visible and the totem belief system isn't enough. At this stage of his professional development and naive wonderment personality, he's more Chance the Butler. It's others that have taken his answers and spun it into the overhype narratives.

This is about the organization failing with Jack Campbell that led to a cheap in-house option who managed good results behind a team that could cover for inexperience and a game still very much in early development mode at apex level of competition.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Skinner is a young developing goalie. The preseason plan was to have Campbell in the net, with Skinner as backup, but here we are riding a long shot into the playoffs. Not exactly a great spot for a goalie or coach.
This means that any coaching choice regarding the net will be a gamble….Skinner or Picard. While the coaches can X/O and strategize the skaters and game plans, they don’t have any control with the play of the net minders.
All they can do is go with their best info/hunches and keep a short leash.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't see Skinner as charismatic or able or willing to fool people. More Peter Sellers in 'Being There' where people choose to believe what they want about a pretty simple, straight forward dude. People build the mythology around him.

A guy who can't believe his good fortune to have the culmination of his life's ambition realized, then the fortune (bad and good) for the expected #1 veteran goaltender to completely implode to open the door for Skinner to walk through. This team, when dialed in, can virtually win with anyone in net and we see that with goaltending results following team play after two coaching changes in three years as a supposed deep playoff team. Skinner's trajectory was to be an NHL back-up through 3-4 years of Campbell rule gradually over time pushing for #1 responsibilities. He got pushed into the deep end, amazingly treaded water without drowning, but now under unforgiving playoff intensity, the gaps in both his mental game and technical game are unravelling. He's put in the hard miles and work to earn an NHL job but to be the guy on this franchise's team at this white hot moment of window time, the flaws are visible and the totem belief system isn't enough. At this stage of his professional development and naive wonderment personality, he's more Chance the Butler. It's others that have taken his answers and spun it into the overhype narratives.

This is about the organization failing with Jack Campbell that led to a cheap in-house option who managed good results behind a team that could cover for inexperience and a game still very much in early development mode at apex level of competition.

We're not talking about a charisma on the level of a guy that obtains a cult following of thousands and gets them to drink koolaid. We're talking a buddy charm, a guy that has learned to be likable, that is always telling his big long story (its undeniable Skinner has used that) to sell himself. Skinner is on the level of a Salesman that sells charm to sell product. Himself. Woody is the same identical species. its ironic they ultimately sink each other.

I like your angle too and will have to watch the movie again. haha.

I also get the convenience angle and that Skinner was just there laying around and the team tapped him. Ironically the org did the same with Woodcroft, with VD too. The latter at least imo works hard to be the best he can be albeit with not great skillsets, VD effort on ice is undeniable. I'll give him that.

Reactions: iCanada

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Wholly molley.

Playing Campbell would be the start of the exodus of high end talent from this team.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I just don't think Skinner is very good, pressure or no pressure.

Idk, I think he's got a certain charisma and allure. Look around this board, people are still defending him. My mom is mostly distraught about poor Skinner's feelings instead of anything else.

He also managed to con the team into thinking that us needing to be perfect defensively in order for him to not get lit up didn't mean he was garbage and meant they suck defensively.

But we're at the end of the road - we've fully bought in to effective defending schemes and been taught by yeoman veterans who have made a career of doing it and seen many teams do it successfully. Just imagine what Perry thinks, some of the miraculous saves he's seen in Anaheim, Dallas, Tampa, Montreal.... Lol. Or Ekholm. 😂

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Let's keep one thing in mind regarding Knobloch's decision for the game tomorrow. (I currently hope they start Pickard)

If he starts Pickard because Skinner hasn't made any big saves, and Pickard gets lit up. Not Knobloch's fault.

If he starts Skinner because Pickard is a career AHL/fringe NHL backup goalie, and Skinner gets lit up. Not Knobloch's fault.

The fault lays entirely on Ken Holland, who didn't even both to get a veteran backup (a guy like Quick) that could take the reigns if Skinner once again faltered in the playoffs. I'm hoping Pickard proves me wrong if he gets the shot, but I don't have too much faith in him based off his career and the competition he faced for the Oilers this year. But I still have more faith in him than Skinner at this point unfortunately.

Last year Woodcroft stuck with Skinner even though Campbell was playing to a tune of .961 when Skinner was pulled. It was incredibly frustrating in my eyes. Knobloch doesn't have a similar option, he doesn't have a goalie that had recently proven can handle the net in the NHL playoffs.

Reactions: iCanada

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If you read his backstory everybody in the hockey world he's come across is helping him along. The Kid gloves. Not only that but look for all the quotes from hockey people that profess they really believed in Skinner, knew he had the stuff, all the tools, and that he was unlike anyone else.

Well, one could say thats good. Except that its not at all impartial. All the help Skinner got, and always, was at the expense of other goalies in his path, and he did that through cornering relationships and charm. That hockey people were convinced that Skinner was the most motivated to become an elite goalie is bizarre. he didn't even train seriously, by his own account until much too late. "I couldn't even go up a flight of stairs" said Skinner. "I was lazy, I never trained, never took it seriously"

This same goalie convinced so many hockey people that he was working harder than anybody else.
Whaaat? When did he say this?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton's D pairs at 5v5 so far against Vancouver

Ekholm-Bouchard
XGF: 76.88%
SCF: 77.50% (31-9)
HDCF: 75% (18-6)
Goals 3-1

Nurse-Ceci

XGF: 18.24%
SCF: 30% (9-21)
HDCF: 8.33% (1-11)
Goals 1-5

Kulak-Desharnais

XGF: 56.64%
SCF: 53.13 (15-13)
HDCF: 66.67% (6-3)
Goals: 0-1

Ek-Bouch dominating
Kulak-Desharnais holding their own
Nurse-Ceci getting thrashed like a dog shakes small prey to kill it.

Reactions: Balakay14

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Wtf I got thread banned from mains thread for saying that ilthe cross check happened to Ep40 Vancouver would be up in flames... anyone else have something like that happen?

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
We're not talking about a charisma on the level of a guy that obtains a cult following of thousands and gets them to drink koolaid. We're talking a buddy charm, a guy that has learned to be likable, that is always telling his big long story (its undeniable Skinner has used that) to sell himself. Skinner is on the level of a Salesman that sells charm to sell product. Himself. Woody is the same identical species. its ironic they ultimately sink each other.

I like your angle too and will have to watch the movie again. haha.

I also get the convenience angle and that Skinner was just there laying around and the team tapped him. Ironically the org did the same with Woodcroft, with VD too. The latter at least imo works hard to be the best he can be albeit with not great skillsets, VD effort on ice is undeniable. I'll give him that.

He made the show because he's gigantic. Being as big as he is, would be good enough to stop kids and guys in the A who can't snipe like NHLers. If a guy needs perfect defense to be average, that is telling about his skill level.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Edmonton's D pairs at 5v5 so far against Vancouver

Ekholm-Bouchard
XGF: 76.88%
SCF: 77.50% (31-9)
HDCF: 75% (18-6)
Goals 3-1

Nurse-Ceci

XGF: 18.24%
SCF: 30% (9-21)
HDCF: 8.33% (1-11)
Goals 1-5

Kulak-Desharnais

XGF: 56.64%
SCF: 53.13 (15-13)
HDCF: 66.67% (6-3)
Goals: 0-1

Ek-Bouch dominating
Kulak-Desharnais holding their own
Nurse-Ceci getting thrashed like a dog shakes small prey to kill it.
To be fair....Eck and Bouch have been stapled to the McDraib line....while the other olay with our yet again, inept depth. With that being said....Nurse and Ceci have been atrocious in every way. Sit Ceci for Stecher and play Pickard.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He made the show because he's gigantic. Being as big as he is, would be good enough to stop kids and guys in the A who can't snipe like NHLers. If a guy needs perfect defense to be average, that is telling about his skill level.
I mentioned this to another poster but isn't it interesting that the same org that used to draft refrigerators has now had a long haul of trying to get big goalies as if thats the end all answer. To wit Smith, Koskinen, Skinner. Seems a concerted attempt to get just big in net. Koskinen and Skinner particularly very similar story. Both very big, but both without commensurate skillsets.

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I don’t think he meant to do that, didn’t expect Zadorov to knock him down at the same time. Looked to me like he was trying to hit him in the upper chest. Would’ve liked more of a response though I agree
Intent is irrelevant.

Players are responsible for their sticks at all time.

He cross checked the best player league wide in the face. He was also defenceless with the cross check in the back.

Reactions: TB12

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I don’t think he meant to do that, didn’t expect Zadorov to knock him down at the same time. Looked to me like he was trying to hit him in the upper chest. Would’ve liked more of a response though I agree
Yeah that's just not going to fly "I totally wanted to just cross check his chest but I didn't know my teammate was going to cross check his back at the same time"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad