Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Connor McDavid is friends with Foegele. Advocated for his contract. Would be amazed if he's going anywhere. Should be. He's never ever been good in playoffs. Not at all. Thats bad enough but handing the opponent a goal in game 3...
Who isn't he friends with? Seems like Wayne who was Great player and sucked as a coach.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
And to make it to the championship round you need a goalie.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying our biggest issue isn’t depth scoring. We’re scoring enough to win games. It’s our goaltender that’s actively griefing us.

Like I said. Take out every softy skinner let in in this series and we’d be up 3-0. hell, even if you took out only one softy a game we’d still be up.
Both are a problem. In this series specifically though goaltending has been a bigger problem.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
The team collapsed in game one. Nurse/Ceci in particular were terrible and have been for a long time. I understand that Skinner needs to be better but holy shit the defense on all four goals was terrible.

Sure no argument there.

Nurse and ceci are a terrible defensive pairing.

Our goaltending is equally terrible , but like I’ve said countless times, we aren’t winning because we’re missing depth scoring, like you’ve implied.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Expected. But not actual. In actuality we only were able to muster 2 goals and didn’t finish the extreme possession and chances we generated.
And the Canucks did on far fewer chances I wonder why that is, and the Oilers in the 2nd in particular had some glorious chances just like the ones the Canucks scored on. The head coach who usually doesn't speak his mind said "need to make some saves"

Reactions: frag2

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Skinner is the biggest of several problems with this team: the bottom 9 have been absolute passengers this series, the defense is trash after the first pairing, they have a chronic, maddening, team-wide inability to clear their zone, they seem to lose almost every 1on1 battle along the boards, they play an incredibly passive PK, they have to be down a goal or two before they can be bothered to play with any urgency, and they have a coach that is incapable of recognizing when the goalie is clearly about to shit the bed. This team is capable of playing at a very high level, but everything has to be firing on all cylinders for that to happen.

As far as Skinner is concerned, he is what he is: he peaks at average when he’s playing his absolute best. That’s literally the best he can deliver, and he’s not seasoned or experienced enough yet to deliver it consistently in high pressure situations. It is what it is. That said, some of the rhetoric in this thread is getting ugly. IMO, that anger should be primarily reserved for the muppets who put the team in a position to rely on a goalie to deliver more than he’s capable of delivering. Holland should be fired into the sun for not improving the goaltending after last playoffs (among so many other things) and Knob needs to be smacked upside the head re: his inability to recognize when it’s necessary to pull a goalie that is clearly fighting the puck.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Skinner is cooked. It will be Pickard for game 4 based on Knoblauch's post-game presser where he opened the door with a waffling non-committal. I need to see the full presser but Sportsnet highlights is first time where Knoblauch has looked rattled imo.

I really thought this organization might have been priming Campbell for a post-season back-up gig to have available a guy with NHL pressure playoff experience in event that Skinner wilted. Pickard's been steady all year. But this is a massive moment with daylight running on a team with expectation to be playing in June. Note, NHL hockey should never be played in June.

Reactions: frag2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And the Canucks did on far fewer chances I wonder why that is, and the Oilers in the 2nd in particular had some glorious chances just like the ones the Canucks scored on.
Team has always lacked finish in critical games. It’s why our OT record is so poor. Too many passengers hoping McDrai win the game for them.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
the coach is a dweeb, and the team is an extension of him...

bite the pillow....we're going to take it dry!
Serious question here, but what would you suggest he do?

McLeod, Ryan, Holloway, Nuge, Janmark, aren’t exactly guys that would make a difference.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And the Canucks did on far fewer chances I wonder why that is, and the Oilers in the 2nd in particular had some glorious chances just like the ones the Canucks scored on. The head coach who usually doesn't speak his mind said "need to make some saves"
True. But 4 posts means we beat their goalie too but couldn’t find the finish. Skinner needed to come up with a big save though. Atleast one on those two breakdowns. Without breakdowns it’s not like he let in any true softies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad