Rumor: Golden Knights reportedly refused to deal Cody Glass in order to obtain Erik Karlsson from Senators

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Oh well. Hopefully Ottawa at least got a great trade package. Karlsson and Burns is going to be tough.
Karlsson and Burns on the ice for 25 minutes a night each. They could sign me to the bottom pair and it would still be the best defense in the league.

Our only hope is if Thornton and Pavelski regress tenfold. They have to be favorites out of the west now.

Don't forget Vlasic. Conceivably, Sharks could split up Vlasic, Burns, and Karlsson, and have a top D on ice every minute of the game.

Did they even trade anyone that would have been close to Glass, Brannstrom or Hague?

Norris was Sharks top prospect (and older)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
There is a provision in the deal that says Ottawa gets an extra 1st rounder (no later than 2022) if SJ flips Karlsson back to the Eastern conference, according to espn.

2020 2nd if Karlsson re-signs, becomes 1st if SJ makes the SCF.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Good on you, EK. Pick your team next summer. And not to be an ass, but good on the Sens fans who were complete dinks on the mains all summer.

You gotta understand what we as Sens fans are going through though. Losing your captain, greatest player in franchise history, a unanimous Hall of Famer, and hes in his damn prime to boot.

So there are a couple people that are taking out their anger and frustration from being fans of the worst organization in professional sports currently AINEC!

Not saying its right to lash out at everyone, but its a legitimate reason.

I consider my self a level headed Sens fan, but rebuilding without your first where you are going to be the worst team in hockey and there are 2 franchise talents at the top of the draft? That's the worst part. Only thing better than losing him for nothing I suppose

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Don't forget Vlasic. Conceivably, Sharks could split up Vlasic, Burns, and Karlsson, and have a top D on ice every minute of the game.

Norris was Sharks top prospect (and older)

I would take all 4 of Vega's draft picks over Norris. A good player? Yes....but with a very limited offensive upside. Hes going to be a good 3rd line center, but nothing more. Both Vegas defenseman have top pairing upside, Glass has 1C upside, and Suzuki has top 6 upside.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You gotta understand what we as Sens fans are going through though. Losing your captain, greatest player in franchise history, a unanimous Hall of Famer, and hes in his damn prime to boot.

So there are a couple people that are taking out their anger and frustration from being fans of the worst organization in professional sports currently AINEC!

I consider my self a level headed Sens fan, but rebuilding without your first where you are going to be the worst team in hockey and there are 2 franchise talents at the top of the draft? That's the worst part. Only thing better than losing him for nothing I suppose

It's a terrible thing that's been done to your group. You had a team a year ago that could have gone all in now and traded for more pieces to make runs for the next few years or done the opposite and trade current pieces off in better deals to set the team up for a bright future in 2 or 3 years but they chose to do neither.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

The Habs are giving OTT a run for its money.....

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new team. I'm leaning towards you guys, but the Sharks are in the mix for this year. I already own a knights hat. Hope you sign Karlsson next year. -hockey fan who had his heart ripped out and hates his former team

Reactions: pbgoalie

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new team. I'm leaning towards you guys, but the Sharks are in the mix for this year. I already own a knights hat. Hope you sign Karlsson next year. -hockey fan who had his heart ripped out and hates his former team

All are welcome!

I'm really bummed that not only did we not get him, but he's now in our division. The Pacific went from one of the worst to one of the best this offseason. Still very top heavy, but the top is stout!

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Actually a bit relieved we didn't get EK. We'd have too many Karlssons. :laugh:

But seriously, after the EK/wife/Hoffman/girlfriend drama in Ottawa, I had concerns about EK/wife bringing some kind of that crap to our room. One of the VGK strengths has been team chemistry (underrated at times, I think), and I'd hate to see some online catfights poison our juju.

But, like others, not happy to see EK in the Pacific this season. :(

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Actually a bit relieved we didn't get EK. We'd have too many Karlssons. :laugh:

But seriously, after the EK/wife/Hoffman/girlfriend drama in Ottawa, I had concerns about EK/wife bringing some kind of that crap to our room. One of the VGK strengths has been team chemistry (underrated at times, I think), and I'd hate to see some online catfights poison our juju.

But, like others, not happy to see EK in the Pacific this season. :(

Its only for one year.

I still think he is going to sign with the Lightning next year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Haula and Hague are better than Tierney and Norris, in my view. Ottawa would have rather taken our deal. I think this really does seem to say Karlsson wants to test FA and SJ is okay with having him for a year and then a 20% chance he re-signs next year.
If karlsson is heading to UfA in 2019, then this is the best the sens were going to get. They get more on the condition he would sign immediately like turris did when he landed in Nashville.

See how this plays out. If EK goes to market then this deal doesn’t look as bad. Only so much you can get for 1 year of a player.

I would say that Boston got a better deal than what Ott got for 1 year of Lucic from LA. Jones, starting goalie, miller capable middle paid Dman and a 1st with the likes of Brazil, Connor, etc on the board which they passed.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

I feel your pain! I was an Oilers fan until they drafted McDavid...and I got to watch management continue to strip the team of all veteran talent, sold for pennies on the dollar. Not only that, but usually scapegoated by the official (Oilers-sanctioned) media, and the fans, in their evident final seasons on the team, and on their way out. I have no problem stating that the Oilers are the worst pro franchise, bar none. But I digress.

Both fanbases have their bullies and their mouthpieces on here, and they really don't know when to shut up. And they're miserable, but they don't deserve my time.

Hopefully your new acquisitions pan out in time. We're seeing more Canadian teams not named the Leafs continue to struggle to keep players, while overpaying talent to stay, and taking bad risks on questionable contracts. A good number of players don't want the fishbowl atmosphere, the psycho idiot fans, the cold weather, the dim prospects of winning. It sucks.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

knightyknightknight isn't taken as a username. Just saying!

I left my team too. It's amazing how doing that makes you doubt your ability to keep allegiances and loyalty, it really makes you question who you are as a person. I struggled with it mightily for the first half of last year. Actually, since the Taylor Hall trade. Will friends think I'm jumping ship for the easy winner? But I found myself in T-Mobile Arena on Feb 15, purposefully without my Oilers jersey on the 5 day trip, watching (my) Golden Knights play this group of undermanned, horrendously mismanaged Oilers, and as the crowd erupted and the entertainment flowed and the party carried on, I left the anger of cheering for a team that was legendary for its first 11 seasons and rotten for the next 27 seasons, behind. It can be done.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
knightyknightknight isn't taken as a username. Just saying!

I left my team too. It's amazing how doing that makes you doubt your ability to keep allegiances and loyalty, it really makes you question who you are as a person. I struggled with it mightily for the first half of last year. Actually, since the Taylor Hall trade. Will friends think I'm jumping ship for the easy winner? But I found myself in T-Mobile Arena on Feb 15, purposefully without my Oilers jersey on the 5 day trip, watching (my) Golden Knights play this group of undermanned, horrendously mismanaged Oilers, and as the crowd erupted and the entertainment flowed and the party carried on, I left the anger of cheering for a team that was legendary for its first 11 seasons and rotten for the next 27 seasons, behind. It can be done.
Not a super similar situation since the Knights came (were born) into my city instead of my old city, but I’d always hated people that changed teams prior to last year.

I still think it’s a little weird, but I’m not a gestapo about it anymore.

What is weird is that the Blackhawks, who I thought would be team 1B, don’t matter to me at all anymore. That is something I would have never expected. The Knights not sucking likely helped the transition, but I thought it would have taken years, if it happened at all.

I guess I’m not the fan I thought I was.

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Not a super similar situation since the Knights came (were born) into my city instead of my old city, but I’d always hated people that changed teams prior to last year.

I still think it’s a little weird, but I’m not a gestapo about it anymore.

What is weird is that the Blackhawks, who I thought would be team 1B, don’t matter to me at all anymore. That is something I would have never expected. The Knights not sucking likely helped the transition, but I thought it would have taken years, if it happened at all.

I guess I’m not the fan I thought I was.

That's interesting, because the Hawks are a class outfit, imo. They treat their players and fans with respect. If you can walk away from a successful franchise (only missed playoffs last year due to Crawford's vertigo, I strenuously believe), then Las Vegas is doing everything right.

I've gestated enough on the business of hockey for the past ten years to confidently conclude that I can tell when a franchise's management is inept. And I have no problem ending my support for it. That's not to say that I'd bounce from winning team to winning team, pretending that I'm the most loyal, hardcore fan of them all (I can name damn near every player from every one of those 90s Sharks teams, for instance), but I encourage fans to find joy in the hobby. If that joy is suffering along with the loyal throng, great. If it's finding something new and exciting to put down roots with, awesome.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I feel your pain! I was an Oilers fan until they drafted McDavid...and I got to watch management continue to strip the team of all veteran talent, sold for pennies on the dollar. Not only that, but usually scapegoated by the official (Oilers-sanctioned) media, and the fans, in their evident final seasons on the team, and on their way out. I have no problem stating that the Oilers are the worst pro franchise, bar none. But I digress.

Both fanbases have their bullies and their mouthpieces on here, and they really don't know when to shut up. And they're miserable, but they don't deserve my time.

Hopefully your new acquisitions pan out in time. We're seeing more Canadian teams not named the Leafs continue to struggle to keep players, while overpaying talent to stay, and taking bad risks on questionable contracts. A good number of players don't want the fishbowl atmosphere, the psycho idiot fans, the cold weather, the dim prospects of winning. It sucks.

The VGK could have used Karlsson, Tampa could have used Karlsson and Stars would have rocked with Karlsson. But the Sharks? A move like this is like a birthday gift for the Knights! Doug Wilson is not only not a leader, but he just did such a disservice to the Sharks that they will be diving so deep not even the deep sea fish can reach.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The VGK could have used Karlsson, Tampa could have used Karlsson and Stars would have rocked with Karlsson. But the Sharks? A move like this is like a birthday gift for the Knights! Doug Wilson is not only not a leader, but he just did such a disservice to the Sharks that they will be diving so deep not even the deep sea fish can reach.

If you're being serious, I missed the point. If you're joking, it went over my head! :laugh:

Seriously though, are you saying this is good for the Knights? If that's the case, I have a hard time agreeing. That team was already tough to play against, now it's going to be extremely difficult to get out of the Pacific. Their PP is going to be lethal.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If you're being serious, I missed the point. If you're joking, it went over my head! :laugh:

Seriously though, are you saying this is good for the Knights? If that's the case, I have a hard time agreeing. That team was already tough to play against, now it's going to be extremely difficult to get out of the Pacific. Their PP is going to be lethal.

No I wasn't kidding!

There is a decent fit in Karlsson-Vlasic/Ryan (both have Methot style relative defensive stats), but that kind of efficient "offensive-defensive" pairing isn't easy to achieve in a short period of time.

The OTT wanted to move him as far away possible and crafted a contract that makes it impossible for him to play in the East where he wants to play. They can't trade him to East and they won't trade him to Pacific, so all they can do is to go all in and hope for the best. He wasn't traded there voluntarily, the harsh trading restrictions speak for themselves. If they don't get the cup, the team isn't getting much younger or better in a day... it is an all in move, and there will be a void and consequences if Karlsson doesn't sign.

Where does he sign next season? Since he is already here, might as well...

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
No I wasn't kidding!

There is a decent fit in Karlsson-Vlasic/Ryan (both have Methot style relative defensive stats), but that kind of efficient "offensive-defensive" pairing isn't easy to achieve in a short period of time.

The OTT wanted to move him as far away possible and crafted a contract that makes it impossible for him to play in the East where he wants to play. They can't trade him to East and they won't trade him to Pacific, so all they can do is to go all in and hope for the best. He wasn't traded there voluntarily, the harsh trading restrictions speak for themselves. If they don't get the cup, the team isn't getting much younger or better in a day... it is an all in move, and there will be a void and consequences if Karlsson doesn't sign.

Where does he sign next season? Since he is already here, might as well...

First & foremost, it would appear the Sharks are concentrating strictly on this year. Sure they would like to extend EK, but their attention is focused on winning it all in 18-19. They got him for basically nothing, so there won't be a huge meltdown at the end of the year if he walks on them.

Ideally, he would've preferred to stay in the east, but I guess he didn't have as much of a say as I thought he would. Frankly I'm shocked that any team traded for him without a new contract agreement in place, but with the robbery that took place, San Jose could afford to gamble for one season of Karlsson. With almost zero invested, I don't see the down side. They get a full season of him, and if they get lucky & he wants to stay, they really took Ottawa to the cleaners.

It's pretty obvious they didn't acquire him with the intention of trading him, so unless something really bizarre occurs & they're far out of playoff contention before the deadline, he's staying put all year.

Which begs the question; how did Ottawa only attach a 2nd rounder as compensation if EK resigns with San Jose? This really is the one of the most lopsided trades I've ever seen in sports. Feels like McPhee & a bunch of other GMs really blew it here.

Finally, when you mention Methot, I'm still baffled why we couldn't find a spot for him here. He's EXACTLY what the Knights need right about now. Maybe GM thought he couldn't skate well enough for Gallant's up-tempo style, but, IMO, he is the perfect stay at home partner for Theodore or Schmitty. But I digress...

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
First & foremost, it would appear the Sharks are concentrating strictly on this year. Sure they would like to extend EK, but their attention is focused on winning it all in 18-19. They got him for basically nothing, so there won't be a huge meltdown at the end of the year if he walks on them.

Ideally, he would've preferred to stay in the east, but I guess he didn't have as much of a say as I thought he would. Frankly I'm shocked that any team traded for him without a new contract agreement in place, but with the robbery that took place, San Jose could afford to gamble for one season of Karlsson. With almost zero invested, I don't see the down side. They get a full season of him, and if they get lucky & he wants to stay, they really took Ottawa to the cleaners.

It's pretty obvious they didn't acquire him with the intention of trading him, so unless something really bizarre occurs & they're far out of playoff contention before the deadline, he's staying put all year.

Which begs the question; how did Ottawa only attach a 2nd rounder as compensation if EK resigns with San Jose? This really is the one of the most lopsided trades I've ever seen in sports. Feels like McPhee & a bunch of other GMs really blew it here.

Finally, when you mention Methot, I'm still baffled why we couldn't find a spot for him here. He's EXACTLY what the Knights need right about now. Maybe GM thought he couldn't skate well enough for Gallant's up-tempo style, but, IMO, he is the perfect stay at home partner for Theodore or Schmitty. But I digress...

a) If he doesn't sign and leaves, that makes the Sharks look very very bad
b) Knights have more use for him now, but the Sharks won't trade him to us this season. Never in a million years since we arguably had the best 1st line last year, top 10 2nd line in the upcoming year and probably top 10 3rd and 4th line as well.

I have hard time to figure the players that do not want to join the VGK now, the future looks bright and if they win their first cup in the coming years, it will be a win like no other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad