PGT: Gold Medal Game | USA vs Canada | PGT

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah because Canada didnt even show up. US completely dominated them in a manner similar to how most here thought Canada would dominate. As a US fan, I had a ton of fun watching but it felt like boys against men so I understand your sentiment
I don’t care who wins. I was just happy to have hockey back but yeah the tournament didn’t offer a ton of compelling games.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Why was Justin Barron (nr.27) skipped in the medal handout? It went from 26 Tomasino to 29 Quinn

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
What rule changes are coming to ensure this doesnt happen again? Getting rid of shootouts in the finals and all canadian reffs was a step in the right direction but we need more. One big concern imo was the very unfair starting times in Canadas games. They also had to play many b2bs against rested teams.

Canada had more rest than their opponent in the only game they lost. Try again.

Maybe the IIHF should regulate the USA, Finland, Russia and Sweden from the top tier. Then maybe Canada could win every year. :sarcasm:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
One thing I think we can all learn from a game like this is how fans and media have a tendency to underrate prior success, team cohesion, experience in these big junior international championships.

It's easy for fans to look at the rosters based on draft position and decide how the games will go. However, that is way too simplistic. There are many factors that go into draft position that aren't in common with who wins these games at this level.

Some boasted about all Canada's first rounders and how that meant they were unstoppable, but take for instance the difference between the two goaltenders. Knight was a little inconsistent throughout, while Levi was great until the final. In the final, Knight is great and Levi was shaky. Consider the difference in game experience at these big tournaments. Between the WJC18 and WJC20, Knight has played 21 of these games, Levi has 7 of these games. Knight has 4 medals, and already had played in a championship game. Levi, this is absolutely the biggest stage he's played on and nothing comes close. He was playing Junior A last year. Even his own teammates were saying they didn't know who he was until very recently. Knight has been there and done that. Levi hasn't.

Consider the two US goalscorers. Turcotte has played 26 games between the WJC18 and WJC20. 3 medals, already played in a championship game. Zegras has played in 19 games. These guys are not phased because they've played in so many of these big games. Even not in these two tournaments, how many more finals do you think they've played in for the NTDP? Yet again this year showed why this is a 19 year old tournament. You win and lose almost every year based on your 19 year olds. The big American 19 year old players showed up when it mattered most. Knight, York, Thrun, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy all had big performances, and part of that is because these guys have cohesion playing together for years and experience playing in these big tournaments. They have won together for many years.

To think these things don't play a big role into these tournaments is naive. We are all guilty of it. I was writing off the Finn's this year partly because they were starting an undrafted goalie with awful stats in the OHL. However, Piiroinen played well, and the Finn's won a Bronze medal. Obviously I underestimated how the Finnish program regarded his game and his experience with that Finnish age group. How many years did the Russians bring all these 19 year olds that no one had heard of that were undrafted who outplayed early round picks from other teams? They've been the most consistent team at this tournament with these teams. It's strategy. It's not luck.

This isn't to suggest that draft position doesn't matter. Clearly it does. The Canadians could've won that game last night, and the story would be different. I'd merely ask that going into these tournaments in the future we all take into account which countries have had success in these age groups, which teams have good crops of 19 year olds, which teams have players who have cohesion, and which teams have an experienced crop in these big tournaments. These things matter, and we saw that this was a big difference in a close game last night between two good teams.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Levi was as shaky as Knight in the final.

Sorry. One goal is deflected in after heaps and heaps of pressure and the other off a bizarre bounce?

Knight was the winner and deservedly so, but don't try to change what happened on the ice to fit your pre-conceived narrative please.

Levi was the only reason the team went into the dressing room down 1-0 at the end of the period, and not 4-0.

Anyone pointing to the standard of goaltending in the final as a major differentiating factor was either watching a different game or had already written their post-game analysis before the puck was dropped.

Last edited:

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
Just wanted to bump this. Best game analysis ever!

I know I’ve used some of these before but I’m too tired and lazy & a little intoxicated to look up new ones tonight so these will have to do.

So this is my post game analysis

1st Period:​

Canada is dominated by the USA in the opening frame & appear off.
View attachment 382392

The USA opens up the Scoring
View attachment 382402

Canada continues to struggle
View attachment 382395

2nd period :
Hopes that Canada will come out of the gates flying are quickly dashed when Trevor Zegras
View attachment 382403
gets a lucky bounce for his 2nd point of the game and makes it 2-0 USA early
View attachment 382396
(Actual footage from @Del Preston )

Canada is out of sync and is outplayed most of the period until late. A power play generates a few chances and a post but ultimately comes up empty.
View attachment 382397

3rd period :​

Canada starts to gets some offensive attack flowing but the USA keeps them on the perimeter.

Opportunities that Canada does get are sent wide or high

View attachment 382407

Or Spencer Knight is getting in the way of every shot he faced.
View attachment 382408

The Result was a 2-0 victory for the USA.

I won’t comment on the ‘Barrel’ fiasco,
View attachment 382410
as it ended up being much ado about nothing.

This is a good place to say good night and
View attachment 382409

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I don't understand why so many are hating on TSN. [snip].

Because I watched on the NHL Network, I missed it, but did TSN not do the puns in Intermission this year? I recall they had puns based on certain players/scores/whatever that they would show in a graphic during Intermission.

Good, because right now we've got an even 3 way split over the last 9 years...

Canada 3 golds ('15, '18, '20), Finland 3 golds ('14, '16, '19), US 3 golds ('13, '17, '21).

No repeats, just even results for the 3 countries over 3 year spans in various orders.

This is a damning indictment of the Swedish and Russian programs. Yes, they made the gold medal games in between 2013-2021, but to have 0 gold to show speaks to issues in their program (coaching? not used to North American ice? ???).
Now, the next thing to see is which country will be the first to repeat. I fully expect not just the Big Five to make it hard on a defending champion to repeat, but the likes of Germany, Switzerland, Czech could present themselves as banana peels for any defending champion as well.

[snip]

Consider the two US goalscorers. Turcotte has played 26 games between the WJC18 and WJC20. 3 medals, already played in a championship game. Zegras has played in 19 games. These guys are not phased because they've played in so many of these big games. Even not in these two tournaments, how many more finals do you think they've played in for the NTDP? Yet again this year showed why this is a 19 year old tournament. You win and lose almost every year based on your 19 year olds. The big American 19 year old players showed up when it mattered most. Knight, York, Thrun, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy all had big performances, and part of that is because these guys have cohesion playing together for years and experience playing in these big tournaments. They have won together for many years.

[snip]
I don't think it can be stated enough how vital the NTDP is to the US success at the WJC. I've bolded part of @Pavel Buchnevich's post to simply say ITA!

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I don't know if you know this, since you're still new to the board... but to the left of your post, it shows the date you joined. Considering this is the first international tournament since you joined, you shouldn't talk about how things are like around here post tournament.
I am referring to the ridiculousness of your post but yes I was on HF near its inception for a while.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Byram: I’m sorry that you’re the only one who showed up to play
"You saw that guy who played at the other net? That's your competition trying to get a job in the NHL. Now here's your silver medal. Get used to the feeling."

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Not that I want to poke my head into this discussion, but plenty of people come back and make new accounts either because they can't remember their old account login information or were locked out.

You can't always rely on the Join Date to determine if a poster is new or not.
This is true, but that dude asked a guy who has been here 18 years if he is new around here. Making a new account is one thing, but asking someone who has been on the board as long as some of the players that played last night is another thing.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
ughhh it still feels like I've been punched in the stomach....
mad props to the States... they played us like we were playing other teams... brought our own game plan to us and executed it near perfectly. also want to give a shout out to Zegras... that kid is going to be something special if he isn't already.

and mad props to my fellow Canadians for being a fun group to post with. see you guys next time.

I know I’ve used some of these before but I’m too tired and lazy & a little intoxicated to look up new ones tonight so these will have to do.

View attachment 382392

View attachment 382402

View attachment 382395

2nd period :
Hopes that Canada will come out of the gates flying are quickly dashed when Trevor Zegras
View attachment 382403
View attachment 382396

Canada is out of sync and is outplayed most of the period until late. A power play generates a few chances and a post but ultimately comes up empty.
View attachment 382397

Canada starts to gets some offensive attack flowing but the USA keeps them on the perimeter.

View attachment 382407

View attachment 382408

View attachment 382410

View attachment 382409
lol love ya GP

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
However, I just noticed the events unfolding in Washington....hockey's on the back seat for a while now, jeez...:eek:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

View attachment 382392

View attachment 382402

View attachment 382395

2nd period :
View attachment 382403
View attachment 382396

View attachment 382397

View attachment 382407

View attachment 382408

View attachment 382410

View attachment 382409
GP you won the internet today and probably tomorrow as well. Amazing work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad