PGT: Gold Medal Game | USA vs Canada | PGT

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Canadians scored all the goals vs the Russ and couldn't come up with anything in next game sometimes that just happens.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I want a Best of 3 format. And screw silver and bronze medals. All or nothing, like the cup :popcorn:
And after best of 3 you will need best of 5 and then 7. Just play a some video game tournament where everything happens just the way you like. Are you loosing suddenly? Rage quit and reload.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
That was a team win by USA. They played such a good game from start to finish. They played like they were a NHL team while Canada looked like a junior team stacked with talent but not enough structure and guys trying to do too much on their own.

US made this one look easy. Their D was particularly good at keeping guys on the outside and limiting second chances. Their D was also actively jumping in the NZ stiffling the Canadian offense. They made simple plays and were able to get the puck out effectively with the support from the forwards. Knight didn't have to make crazy saves but made the saves he needed to make.

Again really impressed as a Canadian, USA looked like a team of man against boys. Canada didn't deserve this one at all. To be honest I'm not really surprised to see this outcome.

This, which is baffling to me since Canada looked so strong as a team for every game until last night. It's like they suddenly forgot.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Looking back at junior and senior tourneys from last 40 years or so, it seems like a strong pattern that a team needs adversity, a loss, to grow to a winning team. Almost every time when a team Finland would seemingly coast easily through the group stage of a tourney, the loss would come at a playoff game. And vice versa (although not 100%, of course).

To have that adversity, loss, come in the final, is of course unfortunate.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I really think the issue with Canada is the coaching, they simply weren’t prepared.

Team USA played a pro hockey style of system in that game, it was very effective. Team Canada were basically playing junior hockey flash and dazz, and it simply didn’t work. The coaches needed to adjust their team, and they failed to do so adequately.

It’s the arrogance on the Canadian coaches that lost them this game. They thought they’d steam roll a good team like USA, and had no ascertainable answer when things started to go sideways.

Good job by team USA. They tailored a game plan to Canada’s style, and they had the type of players and talent to back it up. Plus, they skated their asses off.

It’s shitty for Canadian skaters, but hey, someone had to lose. I really hope we have a better system in place next time, there was just too much arrogance I believe that this squad could get it done with talent alone.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Looking back at junior and senior tourneys from last 40 years or so, it seems like a strong pattern that a team needs adversity, a loss, to grow to a winning team. Almost every time when a team Finland would seemingly coast easily through the group stage of a tourney, the loss would come at a playoff game. And vice versa (although not 100%, of course).

I agree. Canada looked lost for awhile immediately after both goals. Just not used to playing from behind. I don't know if USA was necessarily miles better than Canada but they got two passed the goalie and Canada didn't. The way she goes sometimes. Oh well. As for the barrel thing. I'm sure there was some element of rubbing it in Canada's face. But I'm Canadian and I love it. This is competitive sports not a church picnic.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
What a crazy tournament considering to end this horrendous year with global pandemic and playing in bubble. Very well organized by the Canadians.

Huge respect to team USA. They did what no other team were able to do against Canada. USA deserved the victory, they were the best team when it mattered the most.

I really hope Sweden can beat the virus before 2022-tournament and we could watch hockey with full stadiums.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
What a crazy tournament considering to end this horrendous year with global pandemic and playing in bubble. Very well organized by the Canadians.

Huge respect to team USA. They did what no other team were able to do against Canada. USA deserved the victory, they were the best team when it mattered the most.

I really hope Sweden can beat the virus before 2022-tournament and we could watch hockey with full stadiums.
I believe 2022 will be in Canada again, Sweden is 2023 since it got postponed.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I really think the issue with Canada is the coaching, they simply weren’t prepared.

Team USA played a pro hockey style of system in that game, it was very effective. Team Canada were basically playing junior hockey flash and dazz, and it simply didn’t work. The coaches needed to adjust their team, and they failed to do so adequately.

It’s the arrogance on the Canadian coaches that lost them this game. They thought they’d steam roll a good team like USA, and had no ascertainable answer when things started to go sideways.

Good job by team USA. They tailored a game plan to Canada’s style, and they had the type of players and talent to back it up. Plus, they skated their asses off.

It’s shitty for Canadian skaters, but hey, someone had to lose. I really hope we have a better system in place next time, there was just too much arrogance I believe that this squad could get it done with talent alone.

It looked like a high flying offensive team that doesn't know how to put their work boots on when playing a stifling defense. Mostly everything was on the perimeter and the Americans were willing to block everything they could as a unit. Canada had so much pressure/zone time and still couldn't find many great opportunities.

Reactions: Luck 6

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010

This is so pleasantly inspiring to read first thing in the morning. Thank you!

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Man, what an exciting game!

Kudos to both teams for putting on an entertaining game, and giving fans a few hours to forget about the craziness going on in the world right now.

Kudos to Canada for hosting the tournament and having it go off without any major issues.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is out house...barrel..whatever! LOL. Hard to draw a ton of conclusions from a single elimination game other than:

* The U.S. stepped up (in particular Knight, the defense, and Zegras
* Canada failed to perform. To go so meekly into the night was a surprise

Reactions: Rob

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
I am still shocked. Losing is one thing, but getting shut-out? That team? Inconceivable. Bad bounce on the second goal though, but that's hockey. As other have mentioned above, adversity seems to be a key ingredient in success. Both of the last two gold medal winning teams have been humbled by the Russians in group play. This year, Canada didn't even trail at any point, and never had an even strength goal against. It was recipe for disaster. I really feel for these kids, not only with what they went through this year to get here, but the fact that many of them will never get this chance again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad