GDT: Gold Medal Game - May 26 - Canada vs Finland

BennsGonnaGetYou

Apr 27, 2017
Sweden
All kinds of curious coincidences have been noted between this win and the 2011 one. Here's one more I haven't spotted anywhere:

What year was the first time after 1995 when our WHC team had not a single returning player from the gold-winning squad?

What year was the first time after 2011 when our WHC team had not a single returning player from the gold-winning squad?
-I'll give you ONE guess...
That's one interesting coincindence for sure.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
You forgot to explain to the non-Finnish audience that Morko (Anttila) "hitting it in" was a quip by the Finnish play-by-play legend Mr Mertaranta that instantly became a meme and that's why this is funny. It is often we need to explain where to laugh when we make a funny. I'm proud of that, it shows how we're unique.

I was standing next to Mertaranta in the restroom at the airport on my way back from Vienna. I asked him if he knows the song "Mörkö se lähti piiriin" and if he thinks it has potential to be used in his play-by-play. I think he was clearly giving it a thought. I don't think he used it in this tournament. Me and my friends sang it on Sunday a lot.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Why is this thread still going lmao? Congrats to Finland well deserved but in single-game elimination tournaments ANYBODY can win.

The probability of beating three 75 percent favorites in a row is still quite small. That's why this is such an epic story. Finland probably won't get a chance for an upset like this anytime soon because our rosters should be way stronger in the upcoming years with all the young Finnish talent in the NHL.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Finland humour (and humor!) is very, very, very hard to explain to a non-Finn.

It's very dry like a Finnish sauna in the first run and sight but still full of irony and funny as hell for us who know the jive!

Believe it or not; but "Tuntematon Sotilas" is full of humour!

Quote: "A Finn soldier is worth 10 Russians - but what do you we do when the eleventh come?!"

"Mörkö" Antilla is a kinda anti-hero - and that's why Finland people will remember him for ever and ever, remember!

Yep I know that one, who doesn't... I'm just not so sure it's a great idea to flaunt war movies of long gone conflicts here... especially as the GMG was against Canada and we never actually fought them. :sarcasm: (Nor Australia or New Zealand. There was a brief action against Brits up north, though. Can't really just pick and choose the presentable parts of WW2 and ignore the rest, so maybe better just go by the established forum practice of keeping political history including war history out of here wholesale...) (BTW, I never understood why a second remake, or even the first was needed. I know the movie is something of a national item and an established part of modern folklore, but if you look at the original book as a literary work, it actually isn't such a masterpiece. Look up Linna's "Sotaromaani" sometime, in places it's barely readable for all the "herraviha" he shoveled in before the publisher's editors got to work and rescued "Tuntematon Sotilas" out of it...)

All that said, I agree about Anttila, the underdog over-achiever is probably our favorite hero type. Maybe we should never change. :D

Last edited:

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019

What happened to the quiet Finns?... Following the commentator and the team, it seems rather to be a nation on fire.

I only understand a few words of what he is saying, but it seems to me that all the cases in Finnish cannot be used in situations like these, which reminds me of having heard someone saying that many inflections are just theoretical.

But what great commentary.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What happened to the quiet Finns?... Following the commentator and the team, it seems rather to be a nation on fire.

I only understand a few words of what he is saying, but it seems to me that all the cases in Finnish cannot be used in situations like these, which reminds me of having heard someone saying that many inflections are just theoretical.

Antero Mertaranta has been doing pbp on Team Finland since Lillehammer (skipped the Worlds that year becasue the rights were with a different network then). The 95' Worlds were the beginnings of him becoming the voice of the people:

Reactions: Bruce Granville

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That's one interesting coincindence for sure.
Back during the 16-year drought when we were losing one GMG after another, some of us were seriously wondering if we're cursed. Come to think of it, maybe there IS a curse. No Finnish player is allowed to win the WHC more than once. Any time somebody tries to repeat, he won't get there.

I was standing next to Mertaranta in the restroom at the airport on my way back from Vienna. I asked him if he knows the song "Mörkö se lähti piiriin" and if he thinks it has potential to be used in his play-by-play. I think he was clearly giving it a thought. I don't think he used it in this tournament. Me and my friends sang it on Sunday a lot.
This is what the police will sing when they pick up Anttila after the celebrations get out of hand.

Reactions: Lepardi

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm freshly off from the spring celebrations of my daughters' elementary school.

The principal's speech was mostly about the Men's Hockey Championship Team. Mörkö Anttila got about five mentions (I lost exact count).

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland

Things that are simply better -
Chelsea with Wine
Strawberries and cream
Football and Spanish commentary ( gol gol gol gol goooooool!)
Hockey with Finnish commentary

Reactions: Stubu

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
This is what the police will sing when they pick up Anttila after the celebrations get out of hand.

But they will only manage to do this after calling for multiple units of backup.

A great clip on YouTube with Anttila's goal and this old children's song:

Last edited:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Antero Mertaranta has been doing pbp on Team Finland since Lillehammer (skipped the Worlds that year becasue the rights were with a different network then). The 95' Worlds were the beginnings of him becoming the voice of the people:

Mertaranta also didn't do the World Cups in 2004 and 2016 because they were on different networks. When I got back home from Bratislava I watched parts of Finland's playoff games on CMore and when Finland scored the late equalizer against Sweden, I had to roll my eyes at his ignorance about the sport again. He had no idea what they were searching for on the video even when we got to see multiple replays of the puck entering the zone and it was obvious it was pretty close to being an offside. Antti Mäkinen would have picked up the issue right away because he, unlike Mertaranta, actually understands something about the game of hockey. His commentary on Mörkö's goals wouldn't have been as compelling though.

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
You mean the cases for nouns? Yep, some of them are rare in spoken everyday language, but you can spot all (13) of them used in writing when the style is more formal. I mean like business or official texts, not the archaic stuff. You could call a couple of the cases old fashioned by now but not really theoretical.

Note that the language is undergoing a process of getting simpler anyway. Most all languages progress (glacially slowly) toward efficiency, dropping redundant features that serve no real purpose (from the viewpoint of good communication). With Finnish, we get a nice conrast for this from Estonian. It has progressed from the same starting point a lot further over the millennia, probably due to their location and a lot more contact with other nearby European languages. So Estonian is like a snapshot of what Finnish is going to look like in a few centuries. Some of these changes are a feature of spoken Finnish already but not yet formalized in written language and the proverbial rulebook. [Like, English "my car", Finnish "minun autoni", Estonian "mun auto" with a shorter pronoun and a redundant genetive case dropped -- we already use this all the time.]

Don't just flat-out believe what someone said, Linguistics is a huge area of academic research for good reason. Of course it's such a central thing that it invites a lot of folksy theories about all aspects of it, that's just natural, but the popular ideas often go rather haywire.

Aaaaaaand back to hockey... (Are we gong to continue this thread until the next WHC GMG GDT? :laugh:)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
You mean the cases for nouns? Yep, some of them are rare in spoken everyday language, but you can spot all (13) of them used in writing when the style is more formal. I mean like business or official texts, not the archaic stuff. You could call a couple of the cases old fashioned by now but not really theoretical.

I've noticed this dropping of the cases in Finland during the last 10-15 years so I try to do it when in Finland, and it works quite well as I am believed to be a local in anywhere from Puolanka to Oulu even though people hear something unusual with my dialect that they can't quite place. Here in Sweden however... I will speak my archaic finnish, pulling out all the cases....

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Winners win and losers lose ... and Canadian whiners whine.

Nothin' new to see here - rotate, people.
I don't think that's fair. Yes, there are a very few Canadians who are posting over and over again, either "this tournament doesn't matter", or "it wasn't our best team". But there are only a few, and it's a classic example of 'sour grapes'.

I'm Canadian (and proud of it), and I very much enjoyed the tournament (many games were more entertaining than many of the NHL playoff games).

The final was a great game, with, for me, a disappointing outcome. The best game that I watched was the Finnish/Russian semi-final. Reminded me of the 1976 Canada Cup round robin game between Canada and Czechoslovakia, which also ended 1-0 (for the Czechs), which I think was the best game I've ever seen.

So, to the Finns: congratulations. To the few whiney Canadians: suck it up - you're sounding like Americans.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Ok. 5-10- years from now there will be 'Mörkö-generations' of Finnish hockey players coming to age of being under the radar.

Great!

More urgent thing is to make resources (read: money) available for them. Hockey is (and will be) very expensive sport, we all know.

That said, 'Mörkö-victory' can really make the difference. Its up to Finns can we direct the benefits from it to right address.

When Iron-Channellor Kummola retires/dies, let General Jalonen fill his boots.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Things that are simply better -
Chelsea with Wine
Strawberries and cream
Football and Spanish commentary ( gol gol gol gol goooooool!)
Hockey with Finnish commentary
Jukebox with Kingston Wall & Children of Bodom & Pepe Willberg & PMMP for an unholy quadrafecta™.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Just because we're the modest world champions, and to sooth the burn of our dear Canadian readers, this is par for the course to explain to furriners what happened:

(Recipe: add maple syrup and it's as Canadian as Triumph! Or not. Rush is more Canadian. They're thinner and they wear less latex pants.)

(We still hate your experimental Bryan Adams release upon humanity. You should carry some responsibility and not redo it with these Justin Beibers and whatnot. Stop polluting, Canada!)

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Only Finns and only those who read Pahkasika [the local MAD] probably appreciate the humor in the above. That's a bit of a problem. Slovakians might be on the same frequency...

So let's talk logistics and skate sharpening? Comon ppl, we can take this freight train to 3k posts no prob. (I'm *not* drunk. I refuse to be drunk.)

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Now this was a game I won't be forgetting anytime soon!
I was on vacation in Dubrovnik with my friend. We tried to find a stream for the semifinals but couldn't find a working one, so we decided to go to a local sport bar to see the final. The place was PACKED with Finns when the game started. Most of the TV's were tuned in to some soccer game, but once the owner noticed all the festive Finns pouring in he quickly tuned all of them to show the hockey game.
Helluva night! We partied pretty hard and in the wee hours we took a taxi with my mate and went out searching for a fountain, but couldn't find one that would be big enough to swim in. Ended the night passing out in my bed at the hotel with a Croatian meat pie in my hand, made a mess and had to pay for new sheets...totally worth it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad