GDT: Gold Medal Game - May 22 - Finland vs Canada - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Hasek was genius. He won alone OG-98 for Czech Respublic. Even they played terrible and the best team was Russian. But final...Bure and Co made nothing versus Hasek. The wall. 0:1
why are you saying vas is better then.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Was it like a bad Olympics for Hasek? For a guy that doesn't know Hasek he would look like an awful goalie but he was a goalie mad scientist. Unorthodox but genius. Are you the Datsyuk guy again ??? Hasek is in the conversation for best goalie all time too.

Nah just par for the course for Hasek...If memory serves, he out dueled Roy 2-1 in a SO , in the semis...then shut out Russia in the GMG

Jopo

May 8, 2016
Finland
Sad. Witch-hunt for finding someone to blame has already started in Medias. Like there would be any real reason for that. Canada played better no matter how you look at it, and even if Finland would made one more goal and accidentally won, that fact wouldn't get changed.

Aftermath. It's just petty.

Canada played very bad token game against Finland and retrospectively we can conclude that it was maybe main factor they managed decode the system, annihilate Finland's offensive tools altogether, and form very high level defense against it still maintaining awesome offensive. And that all the way whole game.

That tells beautiful story about Team Canada. Finns should be proud the Final ended only 2-0, second goal to the empty net. That's how it's done. Team Canada had more Sisu then Finns had, and that's one Decisive factor for the justly end result.

Great great Work, Canadian Hockey brothers! :handclap:

...when preparing to go to work after badly slept, short night... :cry:

TygeBrahe

Jan 7, 2015
Dats better than Mario? ...Vas better than Hasek?

U do have a bad habit of leading with ur chin...

Not sure any goalie has ever been better than Hasek at his peak?

Ok, let's see TBL-PIT. I 'm sure that TB will win serie. And next season Vasilevskiy will be first goalie. When Vasilevskiy receive a lot of game time - he will show that he can.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sad. Witch-hunt for finding someone to blame has already started in Medias. Like there would be any real reason for that. Canada played better no matter how you look at it, and even if Finland would made one more goal and accidentally won, that fact wouldn't get changed.

Canada played very bad token game against Finland and retrospectively we can conclude that it was maybe main factor they managed decode the system, annihilate Finland's offensive tools altogether, and form very high level defense against it still maintaining awesome offensive. And that all the way whole game.

That tells beautiful story about Team Canada. Finns should be proud the Final ended only 2-0, second goal to the empty net. That's how it's done. Team Canada had more Sisu then Finns had, and that's one Decisive factor for the justly end result.

You are a classy person. When I think of an average Finnish fan, I think of people like you. Thank you for the kind words. Congratulations on silver :)

As northern cultures who pride themselves on playing our game with heart and soul, Suomi has my highest respect. May our nations forever be bonded as brothers through our shared game. Hockey belongs to Finland as much as it does to us.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006

:handclap: Congratulations on an impressive victory against a powerful Russian team and a well deserved medal.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
You are a classy person. When I think of an average Finnish fan, I think of people like you. Thank you for the kind words. Congratulations on silver :)

As northern cultures who pride themselves on playing our game with heart and soul, Suomi has my highest respect. May our nations forever be bonded as brothers through our shared game. Hockey belongs to Finland as much as it does to us.

I like how you use this phrase.

Epitomizes the sport.

And you've been watching too much legend of Hockey I'm guessing since it's used there a lot lol.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

I understand they changed regulations on the ceremony.

But why isn't the flag raised at far end of the arena?

And they should add this touch each time in every country to do the final anthem, it's so beautiful to have an orchestra play your anthem. How many sports do that?

None, because every other sport sucks. :laugh::nod:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
4YLBwIIaswE.jpg

''What i like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.'' Such a special photo.

Thank you to this team, it was evident with the camaraderie of youth they were going to form a special bond, it was a special unit. We learn something new every year about Canadian Hockey. Every year the game evolves, it changes, but one constant remains. The Canadian heart always finds a way.

On to the 2017 Worlds. One more Worlds until 87&97 give us memories forever in 2018 (hopefully).

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Sad to see a loser in these types of games especially when Finland also had a great tournament. That's the way to goes as the defeated team has to endure a lengthy celebration.

I am glad Edmonton Oiler players had a prominent role in the games. Bodes well for this struggling team in the future. Wish we had Laine, but Mcdavid will do fine.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
4YLBwIIaswE.jpg

''What i like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.'

Thank you to this team, it was evident with the camaraderie of youth they were going to form a special bond, it was a special unit. We learn something new every year about Canadian Hockey. Every year the game evolves, it changes, but one constant remains. The Canadian heart always finds a way.

On to the 2017 Worlds. One more Worlds until 87&97 give us memories forever in 2018 (hopefully).

It's not impossible to reproduce. There will be countless championship celebration for all types of players and countries forever.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Congratulations to the Finns. They've been incredibly successful in recent tournaments. It's probably fair to say that on a per capita basis Finland has surpassed Canada as a hockey nation.

The Canadian team played great and I'm proud of them, but damn, have the Finns ever earned my respect.

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
How much does average Joe knows about this win in Canada? I take it there wont be any celebrations?

I hope that recent success would bring more NA nhl talent in future years to come.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
How much does average Joe knows about this win in Canada? I take it there wont be any celebrations?

I hope that recent success would bring more NA nhl talent in future years to come.

There will be a line to attend next year's events from all countries, but especially Canada and US.

It might be most well attended event ever with elite players due to it being in Paris and Cologne. ''Safe, western cities''

Apparently one of those city is the most romantic so wives and gf's will be urging them either way.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Vasilevskiy played bad? I saw last 2 games of Tampa - he plays awesome. My first Olympic Games were 1998 Nagano. Russia were very good team, brilliant, but Hasek was better. Vasilevskiy plays better than Hasek.

First, Datsyuk is/was better than M. Lemieux, now Vasilevskiy plays better than Hasek, you're funny mate, keep it up. :laugh:

Oh and btw Canada is far, far superior to Russia at every hockey position, Russia doesn't come close to Canada. Canada is flat out better than Russia. If you will have players like Namestnikov or Mozyakin on your team against best Canada roster then you will be in troubles. Mozyakin looked pretty pathetic on WHC this year, but that's his age mostly, I'd assume, he was pretty good player in the past. He will look out of place and will not keep with the World Cup pace, NHL-sized rink will be a problem for him. Your defense is atrocious, Canada's forwards will eat them alive.

Open your eyes a little bit, it is not that hard to see that Russian hockey is not in good position and is massively behind Canada.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Agreed. This isn't on the players. It's on the system and coaching that's been ingrained on them for years in national play.

I think people confuse the Finland's "disciplined team game" when it really is "stubborn and can't adapt".

I'm scared to think how good they can be with a more adaptive system and once their superstars reach their primes. If they do, they'll be winning a lot of gold medals...

The difference is that Canada adapted. They tidied up their neutral zone play, got the puck deep, and took away Finland's ability to capitalize on neutral zone turnovers.

It's more on this coach. Kari Jalonen hasn't been known as a very adaptive coach. Ironically our junior teams paly much differently than the men's team. Our new national team doctrin is that we're supposed to be the ones dictating the play, which was the case at the U-20 and U-18 WJC but not with the men's team. Lauri Marjamäki is known as a very tactically competent coach so will see next season and at the Worlds if the men's team will start to play similar style as well.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

anyone that is remotely a hockey fan is fully aware of it.

But thank heavens we won, we can't have Finland win a U18, U20 and a world championship in one calender year. But congrats to Finland.

Up next... World cup.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
First, Datsyuk is/was better than M. Lemieux, now Vasilevskiy plays better than Hasek, you're funny mate, keep it up. :laugh:

Oh and btw Canada is far, far superior to Russia at every hockey position, Russia doesn't come close to Canada. Canada is flat out better than Russia. If you will have players like Namestnikov or Mozyakin on your team against best Canada roster then you will be in troubles. Mozyakin looked pretty pathetic on WHC this year, but that's his age mostly, I'd assume, he was pretty good player in the past. He will look out of place and will not keep with the World Cup pace, NHL-sized rink will be a problem for him. Your defense is atrocious, Canada's forwards will eat them alive.

Open your eyes a little bit, it is not that hard to see that Russian hockey is not in good position and is massively behind Canada.

Mozyakin is a great player really. Way, way better than Ovechkin. The problem is that Russia has too many of these stars made of paper. Just like Ovechkin. Yeah, talented in some areas, but lack the heart and soul, and definitely are selfish and lack real team play. If I was Russian coach I would always leave Ovechkin out of the team. That alone would give chances for better team play.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Mozyakin is a great player really. Way, way better than Ovechkin. The problem is that Russia has too many of these stars made of paper. Just like Ovechkin. Yeah, talented in some areas, but lack the heart and soul, and definitely are selfish and lack real team play. If I was Russian coach I would always leave Ovechkin out of the team. That alone would give chances for better team play.

Ovechkin just dissapears on the big ice, the WC will be played on the smaller ice where he will find his spots closer to the goal.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

You lost me here, some of these opinions... :laugh: Ovechkin is far from selfish player, oh god. Mozyakin is definition of lazy player who just waits for the puck all the time, below average defensively. He was good in the past, not so much now, and to say that he's better than Ovechkin, just wow. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad