PGT: Gold Medal Game - May 21 - Canada (1) vs Sweden (2) (SO) Part II

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
arvidsson, sedins, forsberg, zetterberg, rakell, silfverberg, steen, karlsson, ekholm, hjalmarsson, H.lindholm and others.

we are missing basically our entire olympic team ASWELL.
true. And Karlsson is playing like two stars in one body.

Congrats to Sweden. 10 golds for that small country. Greatest youth orgaisation the world. It shows in the 10 gold medals. Canada has around 600000 players Sweden 68000. Hahaha. Congrats to a well dome hockeyprogram wich keep in mind finns canadiens morway austria and swiss has been taking part of.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
It was an open game, Canada playing better than Sweden long stretches of the game (not a big surprise) and could have won, hitting the posts etc, small margins. We had some luck and Lundqvist played great together with the defense. Sweden having stretches too though when playing better than Canada together with a very good shootout. Both teams had great boxplay I think, some weird penalties, that's for sure.

Regarding shootout it's debatable, I think they should allow at least two OT in the finals but in the same way a shootout is a good entertainment value too.

Sweden's ability to always adjust it's play to the opponent is fascinating and sometimes frustrating. When facing better/good teams like Canada it's great but when facing poor teams and we get lured into a slower pace it's bad. Also Canada don't longer have the physical advantage when playing Sweden because with all our NHL pros we are used to North American hockey now.

Last edited:

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Cannot belive King was so good. He wasnt able to play some hours before. Alot of pain and still be that good against Canada who always are good. Impressive. Bow to the king of the world. (Tsn)

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
How OEL played in tournament? Was he good or bad?

Both of it I would say. He was a bit tentative in a couple of games, underperforming given the expectations, but made it up with this out-let pass.

He was also good in the SF and F games.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I don't think any Canadian fans are discrediting the win by Sweden, good job! :handclap: but the tournament's clout and prominence in the hockey world maybe? You obviously skipped over my earlier comments so I'll be glad to repeat them. This tournament will never get the notoriety in North America because is not a best on best, period! I said the same thing the last two years when Canada won. Meh!!

So don't be gloat so much. If you want we can arrange a game against Canada's Olympic Gold Medal team vs Sweden if you prefer to settle this? ;)
I see no gloating. In fact, I see more posts with excuses from some Canadian fans than Swedes gloating. If you don't care, then don't care, why bother to insist we don't care so much? This "don't care" thing is reminded every year already, I think the Europeans get it buy now.

Nylander and Marner and are both very skilled and explosive. However they are both on the smallish side and will get banged around quite nicely once they meet up with a team (not named Washington) that enjoys using the body! :nod:
You talk as though we have yet to see them play in the NHL as if they're still prospects and we have no idea how they'll fair in a men's league.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It is ridiculous :laugh: Finland's D is absolute crap compared to that and will be for a long time, too bad.

Points the last season for the top 20 Swedish D-men
2vj4o6v.jpg

Sweden is lucky as it is now. The points for Finland's top 5 are 45; 24; 18; 7;7. So yes, Finland got a golden opportunity to improve if we spin it that way.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Swedish defense is indeed ridiculously good, however they were not that great in the group stage, but when it was needed they stepped up to another level and in the GMG, they matched Canada's forecheck and were able to stop them at times, and take over the game... Hedman was monster yesterday.

Canada probably had more pure chances, and I'd say they were the better team if all considered, they had also more shots... but it was incredibly even game, pure joy to watch, such a battle, just wow.

The speed in overtime from both teams was insane. That was 10x times better than 2016 World Cup final. Need to give huge credit to both teams, Sweden surprised me, even Sweden's bottom lines had a great game. Nordstrom, Everberg, J.Lundqvist, W.Karlsson, they were really solid and battled hard.

It is just so sad that such a great game had to be decided by stupid penalty shots, I am so disappointed about it. I was really pissed, and still I am. I was cheering for Canada, so it felt even worse because I believe that if the overtime was longer, then Canada would have taken the Gold.

When I look back on Czech games, and try to compare it to this, it is just embarrasing, don't even want to think about it.

Congrats Sweden, your players were able to match Canada, your defense was best on the tournament, just like H.Lundqvist in the net, so after all, you deserved the Gold. Both teams deserved the Gold Medal yesterday.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Points the last season for the top 20 Swedish D-men
2vj4o6v.jpg

Sweden is lucky as it is now. The points for Finland's top 5 are 45; 24; 18; 7;7. So yes, Finland got a golden opportunity to improve if we spin it that way.

Finland is actually producing some great young D's at the moment, it won't take long we are close :)

Plus we got better star forwards and goalies coming :)

We also missed a guy eg. Joni Pitkanen who got injured for lifetime etc.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Some thoughts

-Damn ROR was impress for Canada. That was a helluva effort he put forth.

-Picard played really really well. I don't know how many times it looked like Sweden got a shot off that looked to be deflected up in the netting but on the replay you could see that the shooter managed to pick a corner really well but Picard got a shoulder/glove/whatever on the puck. Really impressed with his work up high.

-The IIHF games are different from the NHL, hence sometimes it magnifies individual abilities more. One thing was how much MacKinnon stuck out, he was sick.

Another thing was the D pairing of De Haan-Demers that were so much worse than the other Canadian pairings.

-Oscar Lindberg was so clutch for Sweden.

-I don't think many realize how flawed John Klingberg can be defensively. BUT, it was great to see pick up his defense and play perfectly OK defensively against Canada.

-Say 10 years ago give or take, it more or less -- as a rule at least -- became much harder for a D to play on the wrong side in the NHL. Why? Every time to fetch a puck along the boards you have to play it with the backhand, as the game has become faster, that handicap you give up just cost you too much.

This hasn't necessarily been the case on the IIHF ice though, up until now. Even a slick player like Brodin is just hurt too much from it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He is good, but no Patrik Laine :D

Sweden hasn't produced a top forward in forever, but I think someone playing the style of Nyls Jr. is god sent for us. Someone that can operate on both the inside and especially the outside -- ie making the player very hard to shut down -- and make the players around him better.

Given the offensive punch we have from the blueline when everyone is healthy, and the depth of good energy players we have, it won't take that much in terms of top end ability up front to compete. But Nyls Jr. is one of those pieces that will be required. But at least one really good center more would be really really nice.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Congrats to Team Sweden and the Swedish fans!

Notes:
  • Canada didn't lose a game in regulation this year.
  • Sweden was clearly better @ the shootout game, but not the hockey game.
  • The ice was terrible. That Swedish goal was a disgrace, the puck bounced like a tennis ball. If the ice was better I'd think we'd have seen some dekes and maybe higher scoring on both sides!
  • Swedish and Canadian fans are very polite. Many Germans were peacefully supporting one or the other.
  • I despise that theme song.
  • Proud to be a Canadian and proud of the way Team Canada played.
  • Sweden was classy in victory and they clearly won (no dispute).
  • Congrats to Russia on the bronze.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Finland is actually producing some great young D's at the moment, it won't take long we are close :)

Plus we got better star forwards and goalies coming :)

We also missed a guy eg. Joni Pitkanen who got injured for lifetime etc.

That's good to hear from you, we don't want Finland to slack behind.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
No salt here. Again congrats Sweden. Never said whether the WC is a big deal in Sweden or not as I wouldn't know (don't live there) BTW Canada Cup > WC 1000x over :laugh:

Then why are you bringing up that the tournament will never be a big deal in Canada because it's not a best on best tournament? Sounds like a way to belittle the tournament, while making the judgement that it's a huge deal in Europe and nothing else. Canada always have the best team on paper. Sweden haven't had a serious contender in a long time, the best players have always ended up refusing to go, so it's not like Sweden have been going all in for these tournaments. They had a pretty strong team this year, but it still wasn't the best possible team that they could have iced.

Too bad Canada Cup has been dead for over 25 years.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Brun0 writing about Laine here. ;-)

I'm a big fan of Laine and it will be fun following him, impressive rookie season.

Little bit concerned though about the big hits he is receiving :-( and he has to learn keeping his head up, concussions is not a good thing. :-(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zbEdY70kwI

Laine is such a big, strong dude and should be able to step up his physical play. I am weak for complete players (Forsberg, Ovechkin style) and I believe Laine will become a complete player.

Last edited:

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Its the same excuse Canada uses every year they dont bring home gold, "buuuut its not our A team."...

Well no ****!? IIHF was never best on best. And there will never be any more best on best because the NHL owners are greedy ********.

Stop with the excuses and accept Sweden won this year.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
-The IIHF games are different from the NHL, hence sometimes it magnifies individual abilities more. One thing was how much MacKinnon stuck out, he was sick.

I like MacKinnon too, he looks bigger on the ice than he actually is?

MacKinnon is only 183cm but a pretty heavy dude (about 93kg) with great balance, strength and very difficult stopping when he is cruising through the middle.

No wonder Landeskog enjoys playing with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad