GDT: Gold Medal Game • Jan. 5 • Canada 5, United States 6 (OT) • Part #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
considering our history and a 1 goal loss one time... id say we're the best

The best at what?
What major tournaments have we won lately, other than the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, which the US doesn't send their best team to but we do.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Sorry, I can't comprehend. Are you talking about the things Paajarvi said last year about the Canadian junior team? That joke was blown way out of proportion because of the way it's translated into English & in no way should be taken so seriously.

That's okay. I do not appreciate the attitude that Sweden seems to carry these days. It is not a case of the media overblowing anything, and completely to do with how they conduct themselves on the ice and off.

I think they have a brittle organization and it should probably be rebuilt. They seem rather desperate these days, all talk and not much else.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
I thought us Swedes where sore loosers.

But I guess it's the same for every country :)

At least we don't go around beating our chests and still claim to be the winners.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
Hockey won tonight. No need to fight or bring things up. For the sport to truly become global US is a must. Like it was mentioned on TSN a lot of American players came from non hockey states like
Nevada. Isn't that great?
Posted via Mobile Device

Words of wisdom from a canucks fan. Now I've seen everything. :laugh:

It's a tough pill to swallow, but looking back there were many times where the streak could've ended. I'm just happy the boys could pull through and make it a game.

6 in a row would've been nice, but now we've got the hunger for next year. GO CANADA!

akiberg*

I thought us Swedes where sore loosers.

But I guess it's the same for every country :)

At least we don't go around beating our chests and still claim to be the winners.

A few people making childish statements on a message board don't really constitute a 'country's opinion'. Forgive me for assuming you don't speak for the entire populous of Sweden.
Best team won as it should be. Aside from somewhat shaky goal tending from either side you couldn't have scripted a better game, it had it all.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
The majority of the country doesn't have rinks, so the sport isn't played at the youth thru high school level. If the rest of the US had the hockey infrastructure Minnesota/Massachusetts has we would dominate hockey.

Actually, the U.S. has just as many rinks as Canada, and scorefolds more than Sweden and Finland. I have lived in a handful of States and visited all but Maine. Only in a few rural areas in the South have I noticed a total rink absence.

The biggest difference is that hockey is for the most parts not included in that Soviet like sports program practiced in the U.S., which provides free college tuition, room & board, and health insurance on the tax payers' dime for those kids who are good enough to block for a quarterback or dunk a basketball to be on a team that 99% of the population couldn't care less about. Ad nasium, many parents drill their kids, even at toddler age, to become good enough athletes to get a free ride somewhere.

I've coached basketball and hockey here for years, and my kid has played flag football, basketball, lacrosse and baseball , besides hockey, so I'm not talking out of my ass on this one. I can tell which sports are "recreational" and which ones have a "future." Imagine growing up with that pressure on you.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Hockey won tonight. No need to fight or bring things up. For the sport to truly become global US is a must. Like it was mentioned on TSN a lot of American players came from non hockey states like
Nevada. Isn't that great?
Posted via Mobile Device
As a Coyote fan here in the desert, yes that is great! Hockey is an amazing sport and the more it spreads the better it is for all hockey fans.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
A few people making childish statements on a message board don't really constitute a 'country's opinion'. Forgive me for assuming you don't speak for the entire populous of Sweden.
Best team won as it should be.

Ohh I'm not. I'm just taking a stab at those people that made swedes into "whiners".

No disrespect, I've seen Canadian posters here that have handled the loss well, and congratulated the US as they should.

Our loss was hard as well, but they played an excellent game.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
GREAT GAME!
usa_84385.jpg

**** YEAH, USA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad