Gold medal ceremony?

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
i was watching on CBC and after the over time goal they camera zoomed in on the puck for 5 seconds or so and then switched to the Germans.. and then to the Russians.

Then it went to commercial and never back.. why was there no medal ceremony video or showing how they celebrate? Pretty disrespectful on CBC’s part.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
i was watching on CBC and after the over time goal they camera zoomed in on the puck for 5 seconds or so and then switched to the Germans.. and then to the Russians.

Then it went to commercial and never back.. why was there no medal ceremony video or showing how they celebrate? Pretty disrespectful on CBC’s part.

No it’s not, the game was over and there’s other sports with Canadians that they need to cover. They’re the national network they’re supposed to focus almost exclusively on Canadians.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Canada didn't show up, so of course they didn't show it. If there was no valid excuse there should be a punishment for that, poor sportsmanship.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
The Canadians did not show up for the ceremony, as they were required t do. What a bunch of disrespecting crooks. What a classless act. If you don't respect the tournament then simply stay home. I hope the IOC and the IIHF set an example here.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The Canadians did not show up for the ceremony, as they were required t do. What a bunch of disrespecting crooks. What a classless act. If you don't respect the tournament then simply stay home. I hope the IOC and the IIHF set an example here.

They already got their medals.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Canadians simply hate Russia more than anyone. NBC showed the ceremony.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen

I guess you watched Eurosport, right? The Eurosport commentators are great, but they were completely wrong in this case. The 3rd placed team never attends the medal ceremony after the final, at least in recent times. They get their medal after the bronze medal game.

Reactions: Vipers31

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

No one knows what you’re referring to, that’s why your thread was locked.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I guess you watched Eurosport, right? The Eurosport commentators are great, but they were completely wrong in this case. The 3rd placed team never attends the medal ceremony after the final, at least in recent times. They get their medal after the bronze medal game.

Finnish women went to receive theirs after the final, as it should be.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014 the country which won the Bronze Medal never had to attend the ceremony for the Gold and Silver Medals since they were already given theirs.

In the Women's tournament the country which wins Bronze gets their Medals at the same time when they give out the Gold and Silver Medals.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen

Really? I can't remember a seeing a team getting bronze after the finals in the past olympics?

Edit: Looks like there are different rules for the men and women torunament. That would explain why the commentators where so confused.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
And the Canadian team would have been there had they not received their medals after the bronze medal game.

All three Medals for the woman are given out after the gold medal game.

Don't know why it's different but it is.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also in the men's ceremony the carpet had been rolled for the bronze team, so even if they were entitled to not to attend still it provided bad visuals to do so.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Almost as classless as Russia skating off the ice before the Canadian anthem after getting punked 6-1 by Canada in the final at the 2015 Worlds. Now GTFO!
The difference is Canada was not required to be there when Russia was given their Gold Medals.

Plus the Russians used some excuse in 2015 they didn't know what to do even though they had won Gold the previous year in 2014, along with winning it in 2008, 2009, 2012 and losing the Final in 2012. So based on their experiences in the Gold Medal game they knew exactly when they should have skated off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad