going to cornell vs. US under 18 tonight, who should I look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transported Upstater

You at Cornell? I graduated '03, A&S. GO BIG RED

First and foremost, watch for Eric Johnson, a blueliner for the U-18's. He's a high pick in next year's draft, and kind of hard to miss, because he's "gi-nourmous."

The lost a TON of talent from last year, but the U-18's are still America's top junior program. I saw the U-18's play Cornell while I was there a few years ago, we clobbered them, mainly because our goaltending was so much better.

So definitely watch for Johnson. I don't know if he has made a college decision yet, but he's the next great U-18's blueliner.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I'm Arts and Sciences 07'. I'm a transfer student though, so this is my first semester. Being a ranger fan I'm especially excited because this is the first time I've had a good hockey team to root for in 8 years.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
If you can keep an eye on Cornell defenceman Ryan O'Byrne and give us some comments on his game afterwards, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by Montreal fans.

Transported Upstater

xander said:
I'm Arts and Sciences 07'. I'm a transfer student though, so this is my first semester. Being a ranger fan I'm especially excited because this is the first time I've had a good hockey team to root for in 8 years.

Where'd you transfer from? I hope you got more sleep in your last college than I got at CU :cry: :D

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
Where'd you transfer from? I hope you got more sleep in your last college than I got at CU :cry: :D

University of Colorado, and yeah I don't get too much sleep here, the workload is intense. Don't regret a thing though, I'm having a great time.

CH Wizard

Please, make a report to habs fans about O'Byrne.

He's gonna play a big role for Cornell on defence, this year.

X-SHARKIE

Obviously watch Eric Johnson, he has some Progner in him.

Watch defenseman defenseman Nigel Williams, he's also huge at 6-5 220. He's going to be a likely 1st round pick in 06.

Forward Ryan Flyn is a big talented kid, could sneak into the 1st round in 06. He's very similar to Ryan Stoa, but more brash.

Goalie Joe Palmer could be a top end goaltender. Some have him at tops of goalies 06 eligible ( I personally don't)

Skilled forward Mike Carman is worth a look.

Defensmean Chris Summers, and Kevin Montgomorey.

Forward Chris Atkinson, and Mike Ratchuk.

Those are the top USNTDP players.

Mike Carman Chris Summers Joe Palmer, Mike Ratchuk, D Kevin Montgomorey, Chris Atkinson

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Well, i'm back. Cornell won 4-1 in dominating fashion (the lone US goal came on a 5 on 3 with 27 seconds to go on the backup goalie chabot.) This isn't terribly suprising of course, given that the red are currently ranked #2 in the nation (though we all know that preseason polls meen very little.)

Pokulak: Sasha's a fustrating player. Tonight you could see both why he was drafted so high and why he's a project. He was at times very impressive. He assisted on the first two goals of the game. He also showed off some nice puck control skills by splitting 2 opposing defenders on two differant occasions. He skates well for guy his size and logged alot of minutes.

On the other hand he made several mistakes. He fanned on an easy keep in late in the first that pretty much killed a cornell power play and he failed to handle some relativly easy passes on another power play late in the third. He also took two bad penalties early in the game.

Moulson: Moulsons played a nice a game. He scored a goal early in the third and I thought that his line battled pretty hard all night. I was particuarly impressed by his slap shot. He did miss the net on a nice opertunty in the second.

O'Byrne: I thought he looked good tonight. He scored the red's first goal on a powerplay in the first on a nice shot from the left point. He looked defensivly sound and pretty mobile for someone that large. I didn't see him get caught out of position all night and made a few nice plays in his own end.

As for the Under 18 guys it's really hard to say that much because the team was so clearly outclassed. I did notice Johnson (mainly because I was already looking for him because of transportedupstater's heads) and I thought he skated quite well and i didn't notice him making any serious mistakes. He looked confident with the puck and even lead a nice rush up the ice at toward the end of the third.

I thought parker actually looked pretty decent considering that he was under preassure all night.

No one else really stood out that much (I didn't get to read X-Sharkie's post prior to the game so I wasn't really looking for anyone other than johnson.) It's hard to judge the team off this game, it really wasn't a fair fight.

I apologize that I can't give you guys a more descriptive report, this was my first game at Lynah rink and I have to admit that the expiriance distracted me a bit from making any sort of profound analysis. However, for those interested, I can continue to make reports on the Cornell players throughout the year, and hopefully my scouting will get alittle more insightful.

no if you all don't mind, I'm going to go celebrate now...

Last edited:

Transported Upstater

xander said:
Well, i'm back. Cornell won 4-1 in dominating fashion (the lone US goal came on a 5 on 3 with 27 seconds to go on the backup goalie chabot.) This isn't terribly suprising of course, given that the red are currently ranked #2 in the nation (though we all know that preseason polls meen very little.)

Pokulak: Sasha's a fustrating player. Tonight you could see both why he was drafted so high and why he's a project. He was at times very impressive. He assisted on the first two goals of the game. He also showed off some nice puck control skills by splitting 2 opposing defenders on two differant occasions. He skates well for guy his size and logged alot of minutes.

On the other hand he made several mistakes. He fanned on an easy keep in late in the first that pretty much killed a cornell power play and he failed to handle some relativly easy passes on another power play late in the third. He also took two bad penalties early in the game.

Moulson: Moulsons played a nice a game. He scored a goal early in the third and I thought that his line battled pretty hard all night. I was particuarly impressed by his slap shot. He did miss the net on a nice opertunty in the second.

O'Byrne: I thought he looked good tonight. He scored the red's first goal on a powerplay in the first on a nice shot from the left point. He looked defensivly sound and pretty mobile for someone that large. I didn't see him get caught out of position all night and made a few nice plays in his own end.

As for the Under 18 guys it's really hard to say that much because the team was so clearly outclassed. I did notice Johnson (mainly because I was already looking for him because of transportedupstater's heads) and I thought he skated quite well and i didn't notice him making any serious mistakes. He looked confident with the puck and even lead a nice rush up the ice at toward the end of the third.

I thought parker actually looked pretty decent considering that he was under preassure all night.

No one else really stood out that much (I didn't get to read X-Sharkie's post prior to the game so I wasn't really looking for anyone other than johnson.) It's hard to judge the team off this game, it really wasn't a fair fight.

I apologize that I can't give you guys a more descriptive report, this was my first game at Lynah rink and I have to admit that the expiriance distracted me a bit from making any sort of profound analysis. However, for those interested, I can continue to make reports on the Cornell players throughout the year, and hopefully my scouting will get alittle more insightful.

Excellent Work xander :)

GO RED!!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
Goalie Joe Palmer could be a top end goaltender. Some have him at tops of goalies 06 eligible ( I personally don't)

If we're talking about last year, they did. No one does now, for sure.

Anyway, watch E-Jay. He and Jack Johnson (Michigan) are my two favorite prospects right now.

E-Jay should be a top 5 pick this year.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
xander said:
However, for those interested, I can continue to make reports on the Cornell players throughout the year[...]

Wow, that would be great!

Thanks for the report by the way.... it's very appreciated! :handclap:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
xander said:

How was Dan Glover for Cornell....very injury prone player but could be a good player for them this year.

CH Wizard

xander said:

Great!!! Thanx alot, like I said O'Byrne will play a big role for Cornell, on defence. So, I"m lookin' forward to see more reports on him by you.

:handclap:

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
neelynugs said:
xander - how was byron bitz?

I thought bitz played great. He made some huge hits and definatly made himself noticed. Didn't show too much in the way of hands (the assist he had was a second assist on a rebound goal) but he was all over the place throwing his body around. Definatly fun to watch.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
The Great One said:
Great!!! Thanx alot, like I said O'Byrne will play a big role for Cornell, on defence. So, I"m lookin' forward to see more reports on him by you.

:handclap:

I don't have a number in front of me but I can assure you that O'Byrne got alot of minutes last night. I think the two anchors of the defense this year are going to be O'Byrne and Sasha, it seemed like one of them was always on the ice, and they where both playing on the top powerplay unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad