Post-Game Talk: Going to ask the Panthers PP to bury me so im let down 1 last time. Cats beat Leafs, face Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Tampas pk is also as good as ours.

If our pp can revert back to form ill feel better, but 5v5 is gonna win it for us but special teams will prob lose it. So gonna have to keep it clean

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Sergei Bobrovsky's 2023-24 season stats, for those interested:

GAA - 2.37
SV% - .915
SO - 6

What a turnaround! This was his best season as a Panther by far. We went from desperately trying to figure out how to offload this guy to seeing him put up Vezina numbers again.

The resurgence of Bobrovsky was a huge story for us this season, and I think the structure Maurice has brought to this team and the improved defensive play really helped our goaltending. I think Bob figured out how to get himself out of the funk he was in, but I also attribute his resurgence to Zito rebuilding our shitty blueline left behind from the Tallon years.

Last edited:

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida

GAA - 2.37
SV% - .915
SO - 6

What a turnaround! This was his best season as a Panther by far. We went from desperately trying to figure out how to offload this guy to seeing him put up Vezina numbers again.

The resurgence of Bobrovsky was a huge story for us this season, and I think the structure Maurice has brought to this team and the improved defensive play really helped our goaltending. I think Bob himself figured out how to get himself out of the funk he was in, but I also attribute his resurgence to Zito rebuilding our shitty blueline left behind from the Tallon years.
career high here and his 3rd best GAA in his career just beat by his 2nd vezina year in Columbus

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It seems that almost every team that wins a championship has to go through their hardest rivals. Hoping for an “easy path” just isn’t a recipe for actual success, no matter how tempting that sounds.

But even that aside, I prefer not playing the Leafs right after the last game of the season against them. It would have been a weird dynamic that would have been unpredictable psychologically.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

GAA - 2.37
SV% - .915
SO - 6

The resurgence of Bobrovsky was a huge story for us this season, and I think the structure Maurice has brought to this team and the improved defensive play really helped our goaltending. I think Bob himself figured out how to get himself out of the funk he was in, but I also attribute his resurgence to Zito rebuilding our shitty blueline left behind from the Tallon years.

Nobody has him in the Vezina conversation though. I think this is clearly a system thing that came along with Maurice and it's benefitting the goalies. This is why Stolarz has also great numbers, actually way better than Bob's.

Tampas pk is also as good as ours.

If our pp can revert back to form ill feel better, but 5v5 is gonna win it for us but special teams will prob lose it. So gonna have to keep it clean

The key against Tampa is to be the better 5v5 team (like they should), that alone should eliminate most of the calls against. I don't worry about that.

But stopping Kucherov is a problem. He has 53 more points than anyone else on their team, which is absurd. He's simply having a monster year.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Nobody has him in the Vezina conversation though. I think this is clearly a system thing that came along with Maurice and it's benefitting the goalies. This is why Stolarz has also great numbers, actually way better than Bob's.

I really don't think it's all on the system. It played a role, for sure, but Bobrovsky this season allowed a lot less softies and backbreaking goals than years past. Goaltending is just weird, these guys can go on extended lulls and look like garbage then all of a sudden surge back. I think for Bob, it was a mix of him figuring it out AND Maurice's system.

Reactions: MaWa and pantherbot

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida

The key against Tampa is to be the better 5v5 team (like they should), that alone should eliminate most of the calls against. I don't worry about that.

But stopping Kucherov is a problem. He has 53 more points than anyone else on their team, which is absurd. He's simply having a monster year.
tbf bobs been given the harder games.
He was also tied with Hellebuyck in sv % and better in GAA until march where the whole team took a nap.

If barkov can shut him down im pretty good with our chances.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I really don't think it's all on the system. It played a role, for sure, but Bobrovsky this season allowed a lot less softies and backbreaking goals than years past. Goaltending is just weird, these guys can go on extended lulls and look like garbage then all of a sudden surge back. I think for Bob, it was a mix of him figuring it out AND Maurice's system.

I think it's one of those cycles that the system benefits the goalies and they gain more confidence which also makes them play better. So not all on the system.

I hope Knight stays healthy the rest of the year because I think he would also benefit a ton from playing under Maurice. I can see him taking over the #1 job next year if his problems are behind him.

If barkov can shut him down im pretty good with our chances.

IIRC Barkov hasn't done that well against him.

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
I think it's one of those cycles that the system benefits the goalies and they gain more confidence which also makes them play better. So not all on the system.

I hope Knight stays healthy the rest of the year because I think he would also benefit a ton from playing under Maurice. I can see him taking over the #1 job next year if his problems are behind him.

IIRC Barkov hasn't done that well against him.
he hasnt in the previous playoff yeah, read he was like a combined -13

But this year hes shut down a lot top guys and our team is not the same as those other playoffs, unless Kulikov continues his weegar streak

Reactions: TotalHomer

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

GAA - 2.37
SV% - .915
SO - 6

The resurgence of Bobrovsky was a huge story for us this season, and I think the structure Maurice has brought to this team and the improved defensive play really helped our goaltending. I think Bob figured out how to get himself out of the funk he was in, but I also attribute his resurgence to Zito rebuilding our shitty blueline left behind from the Tallon years.
Yep, it's easy to get excited about the massive overhaul Zito has done at forward but his work with the blueline (while not as flashy) has been excellent as well. Apart from Ekblad, it's all guys he has found and acquired. Forsling and Montour are so important for us, and they cost us one third round pick combined; OEL has been huge for us to start the year. And it's all been for dirt-cheap too! This year, we're spending just a bit over 20 mil for the seven main guys on the D, and that's without a single ELC contract there. Obviously there's a lot of work and a lot of decisions going forward with Ekblad, Montour, OEL etc., but it's truly impressive to consider what Zito has done with so little.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Nobody has him in the Vezina conversation though.

???

Bob was one of three goalies getting the most hype for the Vezina for most of the season. Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, and Demko. There isn't too much Vezina discussion just because Hellbuyck is clearly going to win it, but Bobrovsky is going to be the runner-up, and I believe is the betting favorite for it.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Yeah, Bob will be a Vezina finalist, you can take that to the bank and call me Nostradamus. I'm pretty confident he'll be second in the voting.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
???

Bob was one of three goalies getting the most hype for the Vezina for most of the season. Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, and Demko. There isn't too much Vezina discussion just because Hellbuyck is clearly going to win it, but Bobrovsky is going to be the runner-up, and I believe is the betting favorite for it.

Maybe if you're looking at betting odds now but Demko was ahead of him before he got injured and Markstrom until Calgary traded away guys and went full tank mode. I don't remember Bob getting any serious hype to win it during the year from any media source.

Even now the Athletic has him just as an honorable mention behind several guys

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Maybe if you're looking at betting odds now but Demko was ahead of him before he got injured and Markstrom until Calgary traded away guys and went full tank mode. I don't remember Bob getting any serious hype to win it during the year from any media source.

Even now the Athletic has him just as an honorable mention behind several guys

Oh, I don't pay attention to hockey print media. I'm just going by what actual hockey fans have been saying (e.g. here on hfboards) and what I've seen on game broadcasts during intermission and such. Bob got plenty of love in Canadian media -- which usually hates us -- on many TSN broadcasts I watched this season.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
couple of positives that came to mind today about facing the lightning rather than the leafs in round 1. yes, they are tougher and a better playoff team but...

by getting them in round 1, we're healthy and fresh. I think we can manage any other team in the east later on if we're on our game but getting TBL later would be tougher.

also, FLA/TBL will have the easiest travel in round 1. this can only help the winner in subsequent rounds.

Reactions: pantherbot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad