Post-Game Talk: GOATvechkin Vs McJesus @ 9:30

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Well, this is by far the worst Caps performance of the season.

the thing is they haven't been that bad. it's just if you don't give your 100%, you don't win in this league. I'm not sure if we are a good team at this point. everyone sucks, hopefully it's just a small size. what's up with kuzy? was the last season a fluke?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Oshie's just too slow against this opponent. Huge warning signs there given where the league is headed.

They're inevitably going to have to get younger and faster. This whole "structured" defending meal ticket is rubbish, especially when there's hardly any physicality. Declining special teams and whatever it is Kuznetsov is experiencing will only amplify that more fundamental issue.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
so they claimed last season that winning too much was a problem long term--instead of building a culture of winning it somehow built one of complacency. So now we see if losing too much is a problem or not. :madfire:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe the Oilers are just playing a good game and a much better team than last season...
They are hungry, yes, and that beats "structure" more times than not when it doesn't quit.

If the Caps can't lull teams then their special teams will at least have to be way better than they have been so far.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
Honestly have no idea why people are so down on this team. We've dominated all year before and we've barely snuck in before with the same results. The ship WILL turn around, early season struggles aren't the end of the world.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
except the oil have outhit the caps tonight by a wide margin. we don't play physical.

:cry: what a disaster. it's worrying how much and how long kuz sucks. bura started hot and now ice cold. backy sudden disappear act. when marcus johansson is your best player player (besides ovie) that's a trouble. at this point i'm afraid we are overrated. D two games in a raw gave a stinker, except Orpik.

we've looked old and slow. maybe the structured game is good, but when you can't score, what's the point. no creativity and nothing on O is going. with all his flaws orlov at least providing some chaos in O zone when pinching.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Good thing we're currently in the DPE 2.0.
Except Cup winners haven't tended to resemble them. The closest would be Boston and Los Angeles but they also had high-end players that could dominate at both ends and drive play.

This team is terribly soft as-is so the heavy game is not an option. Trotz is going to have to figure out how to coach some cohesion into them offensively for once. But I suspect the focus will just be on tightening the ship, improving special teams and working harder.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Honestly have no idea why people are so down on this team. We've dominated all year before and we've barely snuck in before with the same results. The ship WILL turn around, early season struggles aren't the end of the world.

we aren't down. that's fine to be terrible from time to time. i'm not worrying about holtby, alzner, nisky and backy. after bad games i know they'll bounce back. but Kuzy? if he sucks, then there is no 2nd year window at all :shakehead all our expectations have been built on the fact that we have 2 great centers, but it's been so long when he was at least average. plus it can be that bura won't pain out neither. so no 2nd line that matches against opposition 1st or 2nd (which is for good teams is essentially 1b line).

hopefully it's just being out of thesync and nothing fundamental

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Except Cup winners haven't tended to resemble them. The closest would be Boston and Los Angeles but they also had high-end players that could dominate at both ends and drive play.

This team is terribly soft as-is so the heavy game is not an option. Trotz is going to have to figure out how to coach some cohesion into them offensively for once. But I suspect the focus will just be on tightening the ship, improving special teams and working harder.

I don't think we're a soft team, we were averaging 50 hits per game in round 1 against the Flyers. Same thing against the Islanders in round 1, we won both series on physicality.

I agree with you though, the focus now is just to restart the engine.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

i think these all safe D plays, get the puck through the boards and let the forwards go and retrieve it is the old school and so predictable. takes so much energy and gives the opposition an opportunity to jump on the play. why not to pass to forwards instead? quick transition and go full mode on attack? like everyone in the league is doing now? only D who tries to do that is orlov and everyone hates his gut for that. with some training, the execution can be perfect.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oshie's just too slow against this opponent. Huge warning signs there given where the league is headed.

They're inevitably going to have to get younger and faster. This whole "structured" defending meal ticket is rubbish, especially when there's hardly any physicality. Declining special teams and whatever it is Kuznetsov is experiencing will only amplify that more fundamental issue.

If you want to discuss huge warning signs, the one 92 Is wearing should be the one.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I hate to say it but I am starting to think Trotz is the biggest problem with this team. The roster has some speed and some youth but the system is too 2000s.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I hate to say it but I am starting to think Trotz is the biggest problem with this team. The roster has some speed and some youth but the system is too 2000s.

I thought that was obvious at the end of last season but not to many people agreed with me. He is a good technical coach with a system that I dont think we can win with...also he seems to suck as a motivator. I respect the man but I just dont think we can win a Cup with him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I wouldn't fret if I was you guys. Your team is sick. One of the best in the east. The oilers are substantially better this year. No longer an easy win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad