Goaltending Controversy (A Good One)

Billy Mays Here*

Granted he's only played two games in the NHL so far but Kuemper has really looked solid, as did Hackett in his brief appearances in the NHL last season. But Kuemper has also easily outplayed Hackett in the AHL thus far. Has Kuemper now leapfrogged Hackett as our future no. 1 or is it still too small of a sample size? And with all the talk about Hackett as as well as Johan Gustafsson have we maybe overlooked Kuemper?

It's just incredible that we now have three bonafide goaltending prospects that all seem to have starter potential. Who seems to be on the fastest track to becoming our next starter? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we find ourselves in another 1A/1B scenario like the Manny/Roloson days.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
There's no controversy. Kuemper's had two games, and allowed multiple goals in both of them. He's looked pretty good for a young guy and shown potential, but ultimately the spot is still completely up for grabs until Backs and/or Hards are out the door. There's gonna some ridiculous competition in September though.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I still think Hackett is our "primary goalie prospect" but this does something to Kuempys confidence and progression.

We are in one hell of a good situation here..

Billy Mays Here*

There's no controversy. Kuemper's had two games, and allowed multiple goals in both of them. He's looked pretty good for a young guy and shown potential, but ultimately the spot is still completely up for grabs until Backs and/or Hards are out the door. There's gonna some ridiculous competition in September though.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing. If we go by strictly statistics Kuemper's two starts have still been better overall than Hackett's 7 starts last season.

A part of me like the idea of having a 6'5" monster in net for us. Our very own version of Rinne.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Meh, buyout Harding, let Backstrom walk, go with two rookies! ;)

Billy Mays Here*

With Harding's MS seeming to become an issue already I wouldn't be surprised to see Backs resigned for another year (at a cheaper cost of course). But unless Gustafsson stays yet another year in Sweden, I don't see how having three goalies in Houston is gonna work either so I'm kinda torn as to what I think we're gonna do.

A part of me would actually like to see Harding bought out or traded, Backs resigned and us going with a Backs and Hackett/Kuemper/Gustafsson (whichever one earns the spot) rotation next season, but I don't think it's right to do that to Harding after all he's done for us and what he's gone through.

The other part of me thinks we'll let Backstrom walk and go with a Harding and Hackett/Kuemper/Gustafsson (again, whichever one earns the spot) rotation. But I don't know how comfortable I'd feel with that rotation. Harding's MS could spring up at any time, essentially disabling him for weeks, maybe even ending his career, and then we'd be stuck with not one but two rookies as our starters.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm not afraid of two rookies. You only need decent goaltending to succeed in the league anymore because shot blocking is so prevalent now. If you don't want two rookies, buyout harding and let Backstrom walk and pick up a cheap vet via ufa to battle with a rookie.

Billy Mays Here*

I'm not afraid of two rookies. You only need decent goaltending to succeed in the league anymore because shot blocking is so prevalent now. If you don't want two rookies, buyout harding and let Backstrom walk and pick up a cheap vet via ufa to battle with a rookie.

Would rather resign Backs instead of picking up a cheap vet on the market.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I am not impressed with Kuempers glove (seems a bit slow) but other then that he has given us something to be excited about.

Billy Mays Here*

The way Backstrom is playing this year? No thanks. He's clearly not the player he was two years ago.

What? Backstrom has been fine this year and has single handedly kept us in numerous games. Harding on the other hand has looked like crap in two of his three starts. Don't get where all this Backstrom hate is coming from. Backstrom's rebound control isn't quite to the point where I'd like to see it and he's gone down early on a couple goals but he's been solid for us overall.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wow...Backstrom's rebound control is one of his weakest points! Right behind his lateral movement, and right before his glove hand, which he regularly lets a rebound right out of. Can't stand watching Backstrom's horribly slow lateral movement...he either needs to cheat and takes himself out of the play before it's there, or he completely flops and takes forever and a day to get back up into the play.

Has he out played Harding? Absolutely.

That's why I was saying buyout Harding and let Backstrom walk.

Billy Mays Here*

You'd honestly feel more comfortable going with two rookies than a proven starter and one rookie? Or would you rather sign a cheaper but much less capable backup like Emery or Labarbera to go with one of our rookies instead of resigning Backstrom?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You'd honestly feel more comfortable going with two rookies than a proven starter and one rookie? Or would you rather sign a cheaper but much less capable backup like Emery or Labarbera to go with one of our rookies instead of resigning Backstrom?

A proven too old starter? Yes.

As for who the right vet is, I'd have to see who's available. I'm sure there's a Roloson type/quality journeyman (no, NOT Roloson himself, he's also proven too old and is done as well) we can sign for a year.

Goaltending is overrated in the NHL and there is a major surplus of decent goalies. You can pick up an average goaltender easily, and imo that's all Backstrom was anyway...average at best. Now he'd be lucky to be even average!

Billy Mays Here*

A proven too old starter? Yes.

As for who the right vet is, I'd have to see who's available. I'm sure there's a Roloson type/quality journeyman (no, NOT Roloson himself, he's also proven too old and is done as well) we can sign for a year.

Goaltending is overrated in the NHL and there is a major surplus of decent goalies. You can pick up an average goaltender easily, and imo that's all Backstrom was anyway...average at best. Now he'd be lucky to be even average!

Right now or throughout his career? Because a Vezina finalist isn't just "average".

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Right now or throughout his career? Because a Vezina finalist isn't just "average".

I said it then I'll say it again now, he benefitted from Lemaire's system. Nothing more.

I've always been forthright in my opinion on Backstrom, this shouldn't be anything new from me that you're reading... :p:

In the past, I thought he was an ok goaltender with a ridiculously stupid contract...that contract was why I wanted him gone, he was NEVER worth that contract. Now he's not even an ok goalie. He's below average. Get any type of pass across the zone and you have backstrom beat if the players in front don't block the shot.

Last edited:

Billy Mays Here*

I said it then I'll say it again now, he benefitted from Lemaire's system. Nothing more.

Ugh, there's no arguing with you about Backstrom so I won't do it anymore. Backstrom has always been an above average starter. Not great, but solid. I would rank him somewhere in the 10-15 range of NHL starters.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Ugh, there's no arguing with you about Backstrom so I won't do it anymore. Backstrom has always been an above average starter. Not great, but solid. I would rank him somewhere in the 10-15 range of NHL starters.

In the 15 range of NHL starters in a 30 team league is the definition of average. Then you consider that there are always players of that level of play just waiting for their chance to even be a starter...there you go.

;)

Billy Mays Here*

In the 15 range of NHL starters in a 30 team league is the definition of average. Then you consider that there are always players of that level of play just waiting for their chance to even be a starter...there you go.

;)

Perhaps I should rephrase that. In the range of 10-15 for all NHL goalies, not just starters. The average goalie is a fringe starter or a backup on many teams.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The average starter is just an average goalie usually themselves imo. There is such a small gap these days between average and elite due to training of modern goaltenders.

Most fringe starters and backups aren't all that much different than those in front of them. Just waiting to get the chance to play regularly just like Backstrom took the job from Manny back in the day.

Goaltending today, it's a lot different than in the 80's and much of the 90's. Many starters stay above those behind them primarily due to contract. Gm's have a hard time justifying contracts like Backstrom's if they aren't on the ice so much. In previous years Harding looked ready to take the job away from Backstrom easily, but injuries and inconsistent playing time caused his play to go up and down...just like inconsistent play did to Backstrom before Manny finally got injured and Backstrom got to consistently start. People thought I was crazy when I said trade Manny and start Backstrom. Manny was overpaid and Backstrom looked good enough to me...didn't care that he was unproven. Then Risebrough eventually overpaid Backstrom even more, so then I wanted Backstrom gone.

I don't fear letting a so called "unproven" goaltender take the starting job like it seems so many do.

Unproven to me just means never given the chance.

I would never pay a goaltender more than $3 mil yr in today's NHL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Johan Gustafsson I think will surprise a lot of people and we'll need to get him over here sooner than later to get adjusted. I think he might end up being our best prospect in the net.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
You make it sound like that's a bad thing. If we go by strictly statistics Kuemper's two starts have still been better overall than Hackett's 7 starts last season.

A part of me like the idea of having a 6'5" monster in net for us. Our very own version of Rinne.

I think he is more like 6' 3 - 6' 4.. (Kuempy that is)

Gussy is almost as big .. 6' 2?

I also agree on the max payment being around 3m for a goalie espacially when we have 3 prospects that all can turn out as starters.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Kuemper looked very shaky first game, was better last night. He's still way too young to be getting a lot of games. If Harding isn't able to play, put him on LTIR, that opens up a roster spot and cap space, and maybe we have to re-sign Backs as a veteran guy while we work young goalies in.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I think it's way too early for this thread. The sample size so far is too small. With that said, I think Bäckström will be resigned if he's at least decent for the rest of the season and agrees to take a pay cut. I wouldn't be comfortable going into next season with just Harding and the kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad