goalie skate sharpness

Desert Plains

Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
I was wondering about sharpness for goalie skates. Which type is the shrpest and which type is the dullest. I have found this online, dont know too much about it though.

12 & under 1 inch

12-16 years old 3/4"

16 older 1/2" or 3/8"

If you could tell me your experience's with these I would appreciate that.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
One-half inch for me. I play a very aggressive crouch, and anything duller wouldn't allow me to stay on my feet.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
It's not so much sharper vs. duller as a shallower hollow vs. deeper hollow. The 3/8" is the deepest hollow (will grip the ice more) while the 1" is the shallowest hollow (will be easier to slide/scrape the ice).

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I've used 3/8's since I started playing juniors at 17. All I used to workout were my legs and I need something as sharp as possible to grip the ice and I went side to side (If they were too dull or the hollow was too shallow) i would often go too far and shuffling

Desert Plains

Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
from what it sounds like it goes from dullest 1" sharpest 3/8?

I've had my saktes for a long time and i usualy got them sharpened at 1", never really payed attention to what the 1" actually ment. Just recently i've been bothered by my skates seeming dull after about a week after i sharpened them (also got new pads and started playing butterfly). Next time i get them sharpened i'll go with a different hollow to see how that feels.

thanks.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
the shallowest hollow use to my knowledge would be a 1.5" ROH. I have always used a 1" while my youngest son, now 12, started at 1" and with each grind went down an 1/8" till he hit 5/8ths. Not liking that, he moved back up and has been at 3/4 now for the last 2 seasons.

Its totally a personal preference. To find yours move down 1/8" with each grind. You also have to be sure your blades are ground properly. Uneven edges will also make it seem like they are not getting bite. A straight edge is a good way to get a good look. It is far and few inbetween where a rink pro shop will put a good grind on a goalie skate.

profilecheck.jpg

Edgecheck.jpg

Sharpness isn't the right term when describing the ROH. Its about which has more bite into the ice. ROH refers to radius of hollow. In skate grind Radius is the measure of half the diameter of any circle who's corresponding arc fits the skate blade.

ROH-1.jpg

skate_sharpening_radius.html

skate_radius_profiling.html

Last edited:

Avant-Gardien

May 6, 2005
Cambridge, MA
Most goalies will use 1 inch. Some use 1/2 and I only know of one who uses 3/8.

Actually, most pros these days, not to mention a growing percentage of us beer-leaguers are using hollows much deeper than 1". I personally use a 3/8" in the colder months, dropping back to 1/2" in the summer. Modern hybrid / butterfly goaltending demands a lot of bite for lateral movement, and while it does place extra demands on your legs while shuffling, the ability to sustain a greater angle of attack from skate to ice pays huge dividends when it comes to your butterfly slide, down-pushing, and backside recoveries.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Actually, most pros these days, not to mention a growing percentage of us beer-leaguers are using hollows much deeper than 1". I personally use a 3/8" in the colder months, dropping back to 1/2" in the summer. Modern hybrid / butterfly goaltending demands a lot of bite for lateral movement, and while it does place extra demands on your legs while shuffling, the ability to sustain a greater angle of attack from skate to ice pays huge dividends when it comes to your butterfly slide, down-pushing, and backside recoveries.

Yeah for sure, I really notice a difference in my balance/stability, and my ability to get up from the butterfly when my skates get dull. I personally go with a 3, and I play a butterfly style. The side to side is especially hard for say the first hour on a new sharpening, then they get to where I like them for about 5-6 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad