Injury Report: Goalie Situation (Also some light film talk)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
In Detroit's case, and only due to extreme bad luck. It is otherwise not a good idea. The other 31 teams in the NHL preferring to have only 2 goalies is not an insignificant data point.
1 injured goalie is not uncommon. 2 is rare but not ”extreme”. Definitely not 31 teams rolling just 2 either.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Really interested to see how Cossa handles this in GR. He's been on a pretty consistent 1 off 1 on rotation and I would assume his workload is going to go up.

Reactions: Filppula

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
1 injured goalie is not uncommon. 2 is rare but not ”extreme”. Definitely not 31 teams rolling just 2 either.
The extreme rarity is 2 goalies getting injured within 2 days of each other and both being longer-term.

At least as of about a week ago, the only teams with 3 goalies were Montreal, who have reportedly been looking to trade one, and Detroit, who, well, we all know what's going on in Detroit.

3 goalies is no bueno, and it only really happens for short periods at the beginning of the season when things are still being sorted out (i.e. a young guy getting his shot), or under extreme circumstances like with Montreal and Detroit.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't get all this Lyon is out long term stuff. Watch his own media availability from yesterday. He got dinged up and scared, but by his account he's good to go. Coach being all "he's out least until after the break" is bizarre.

Reactions: Realgud

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't get all this Lyon is out long term stuff. Watch his own media availability from yesterday. He got dinged up and scared, but by his account he's good to go. Coach being all "he's out least until after the break" is bizarre.
Maybe they found something after that?

Just speculation.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Lalonde speak for "out until after Christmas" means "We aren't going to play him until after Christmas".

I'd like to know whose Cheerios Lyon pissed in for this org to sign him and treat him like this.

Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
5-7-1
895 SV%
.298 GAA

We'll see I guess.
Which isn't much different than his career NHL stats

2.93 GAA
0.902 SV%
57-61-18

Up until 3 games ago, Husso's SV% was below .890, and worse than Reimer and Hutch's career average. They just need to score 4 or more goals every game like they did early season, lol.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Came here to post this too. Signing a guy with a .895 SV% in the AHL, times are very tough lol
Judging from the acquisitions of Holl and Petry and the overplaying of Husso, it's pretty clear that Yzerman/Lalonde didn't expect for the team to overachieve to the level they did earlier this year. I suspect Yzerman's intent this season was still to pick in the top 10 and continue building. Having to rely on Reimer and a barely-AHL goalie just puts them back to the original plan.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nobody hates him. He got injured mid game and is out until at least until after the holiday break.
Did he? Per Lyon he got scared mid game and was freaking out until he saw the Philly doctors late in the game. He feels fine and wants to go.

Questions arise because it took a back to back and a goalie leaving the continent to get his first game a month and a half into the season and now he says he feels fine, but coach says he's out til after the break. Why the disconnect there?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Did he? Per Lyon he got scared mid game and was freaking out until he saw the Philly doctors late in the game. He feels fine and wants to go.

Questions arise because it took a back to back and a goalie leaving the continent to get his first game a month and a half into the season and now he says he feels fine, but coach says he's out til after the break. Why the disconnect there?
He also got yanked after the second period of the Ottawa game, which I think was the first time Lalonde has changed goalies in a season in which our other goalie allowed 4+ goals every game. Someone in the org definitely has an issue with Lyon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad