Goal or no goal? your thought?

ilyakovy17

Feb 7, 2012
Seoul
I dont know if it is a right place for this thread. Hope it is.

This happened in a game between Kyung-Gi High school(canucks blue jersey) and Kwang-Sung High school(white oilers jersey) in Korean high school league.

When Kwang-Sung(white jersey) was down by one goal in 3rd period, they got a power play chance.

#73 of Kwang-Sung lead an attack and created 2-1 chance with #27.
As 27 crushed into the net, he got a nice pass from 73 and scored a goal.

But after the goal, ref immediately waved a goal off. Because a goalie of Kyung-Gi high school(blue jersey) accidentally knocked the net off its mooring right before the goal. Kwang-Sung eventually lost that game.

I am confused if this goal should have been disallowed or not.

Similar thing happened last year in a game between Redwings and Blue jackets when Cam Atkinson of Blue Jackets scored a goal after mooring was removed.

Atkinson's goal was counted according to the NHL Rule 63.6—In the event that the goal post is displaced, either deliberately or accidentally, by a defending player, prior to the puck crossing the goal line between the normal position of the goalposts, the Referee may award a goal.

But Korean ice hockey follows IIHF rule, so it would be different and I read IIHF rule book.

IIHF rule reads as following:

RULE 98 – SCORING A GOAL/GOAL FRAME OFF
i. If a defending player displaces his own goal frame and the opposing team scores a goal, the goal will be allowed provided:
1. The opponent was in the act of shooting prior to the goal frame being displaced; 2. The referee determines the puck would have entered the goal net had the goal frame been in its normal position.

According to Rule98 i-1, goal should have not been counted since #27 shoot the puck after the goal frame was displaced.
But at the same time the goal should have been counted since the puck would have entered the goal net had the goal frame been in its normal position.

In my opinion, since the ref waved a goal off and they do not have video review, ref's call should stand although I disagree with ref's decision.

What do you think?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Since both parts of the rule have to be met for a goal to stand, the decision is indeed correct.

The rule can be quite stupid at times - especially in a situation like this, where a goal was pretty much inevitable and the goal frame being displaced "accidentaly" seems a rather odd thing to happen - but technically it is the correct call.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
When was the net knocked off its moorings?? I didn't even see that! The goal should have counted.

Those Korean high schoolers look quite good. I wonder how they would fare against American high schoolers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad