Go West Youg Men?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Go West Young Men?

For those interested about the transferts of young Europeans to NHL and CHL, read this very instructive text ( some will disagree) from the IIHF president, Rene Fasel:http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr6403.htm

He talks about Brendl, Zherdev, etc.

It goes like that: «Had the agents in many of those cases been scrupulous advisors, they would have told their clients to wait and continue working on their skills in their home environment until they were more mature. Everyone involved would have profited from the patient approach, but the agent is generally very keen on cashing on his commission. The latest trend is even more devastating. This season, 35 junior players have left the Czech Republic and Slovakia to play major junior in Canada, many of them advised to do so by their agents...»

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Good read. I think this guy is right at a certain extent. Maybe some managements in the NHL are overexcited about bringing european prospects in North America, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will mess the guy's development. Some prospects are more ready and more mature than others, and it's the scout's job to judge if it's appropriate or not for the youngster to take the step from their country to the professionnal level (or the junior level).

Sometimes, getting quality ice time in N.A. is much better and helps the prospects with their progression much more than having restricted ice time on a veteran-filled team in a European elite league that doesn't give much importance to prospects, generally.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
HiggsFan said:
Sometimes, getting quality ice time in N.A. is much better and helps the prospects with their progression much more than having restricted ice time on a veteran-filled team in a European elite league that doesn't give much importance to prospects, generally.

That's of course true, but we must also remember that developing players in Europe is based more on practicising than playing games. The teams train twice a day and play twice a week.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
What a terrible piece of propaganda.
But because many players are lured into signing a contract before they are ready (skill and maturity wise), they end up in the minor leagues, which in many cases is detrimental to their careers. During the last three-year period (2001-2003), which coincides with the now-expired transfer agreement between the IIHF, the NHL and the NHLPA, 161 players from the European leagues have signed NHL-contracts.

IIHF research shows that only 48 of those players (not even 30 percent) were on the NHL teams' opening night rosters in the first week of October. This is a terribly poor record for scouts, agents and also for team managements.

I wonder what would happen if they took a look at the players who were drafted 5-6 years ago and came over right away, instead of the players who were drafted as recently as this year!!

I also wonder what percentage of players who didn't come over (right away) are on their teams opening night roster? I'd bet it's signficantly less!

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Douggy said:
I also wonder what percentage of players who didn't come over (right away) are on their teams opening night roster? I'd bet it's signficantly less!

I don't think that's the point the guy wanted to make in his article. What he meant is some prospects see their development ruined because of the overexicted GMs that hurry them in North America. Having the skills and the willing to play at the professionnal level right away is one thing, but having the maturity and the mental toughness to play 82 games a year at this level is another thing.

Some organizations are messing up with their future because of this hurry to sign their prospects right away. With that being said, you are right, prospects that are signed very late in their career isn't such a good thing either, as they sometimes enter in N.A. at 24 or 25 knowing absolutely nothing about the north american style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad