Post-Game Talk: [GM76] Canucks defeat Coyotes | 2-1 (Hughes & Garland) | Garland Revenge Game

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
If his body language is so piss poor, then why did he have the highest game score of any forward (on either team) last night? Why is he producing points at the 19th best rate in the league at 5 on 5 this season?

Classic case of a player who gets criticized just because he expects himself to win every puck battle, and looks dejected when he doesn't.

I agree he has another level (from elite to unplayable), but to say he has been bad is ludicrous. I assume we will see that in the postseason. Don't forget he was an absolute monster in the bubble playoffs.

Another 6 years of searching for a line mate.

I still say he is experiencing post concussion symptoms. His play fits most of the symptoms, missing one timers, he used to adjust to a puck a little off, hesitation sometimes before passing, shaking his head while sitting on the bench, staring straight ahead while sitting on the bench, a little out of it or lack of concentration, not skating quite as quick. Not great decisions, remember when he was in the Selke talk.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
82 games is a long schedule and we are hoping for a lot more games after. I have zero problem with a team coasting a bit through a game to a bottom feeder.

This team has actually had a better record than I thought they could pull off without Demko.

My main concern is the PP. They will desperately need a solid PP in the post season. And too often it just looks like they are getting outworked there.
That is compliments of Rutherford and Allvin signing good defencemen of size. And record breaking shooting percentages at the start of the year. Boeser scored 25 goals the first 42 games but only 13 since 5 of which came in two games.

The PP has to change, they really need Lindholm to get out there to give them a different look and for Pettersson or his spot, to connect on first timers. They are too static, stationary. Hughes gets the puck and they stand still watching or trying to get to a spot.

This game asks the question did the Canuck win or did Arizona lose? The win was not decisive. But they locked up first. Edmonton would be stupid to play to get first, they should ease up a bit to rest some players, a bit. Then again maybe they turn it up a notch to get ready

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That is compliments of Rutherford and Allvin signing good defencemen of size. And record breaking shooting percentages at the start of the year. Boeser scored 25 goals the first 42 games but only 13 since 5 of which came in two games.

The PP has to change, they really need Lindholm to get out there to give them a different look and for Pettersson or his spot, to connect on first timers. They are too static, stationary. Hughes gets the puck and they stand still watching or trying to get to a spot.

This game asks the question did the Canuck win or did Arizona lose? The win was not decisive. But they locked up first. Edmonton would be stupid to play to get first, they should ease up a bit to rest some players, a bit. Then again maybe they turn it up a notch to get ready
It's kinda both. Arizona is not a good team, and the Canucks did just enough to get the job done. It's a long season and you can't go full tilt every game. All contenders coast against bottom-feeders, often just enough for the W. No issue here.

Yeah, the PP is horribad and has been for 4 months. Tocchet runs the PP directly, so that is 100% on him. They scored a PP goal yesterday, but it was from a point shot, which they are generally far too reliant on in all game states. Not a good process/scheme there.

Reactions: calnuck

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
The bottom 6 has looked a bit lifeless since Garland (and now Joshua) were moved up with Miller. When Lindholm is back, some adjustments really need to be made to get more balance into the lineup. Right now opposing teams can effectively hard match the top 2 lines because the bottom 6 has zero threat to score.

Having 3 waves of pressure that are a threat to score at even strength is going to be key - the only way you can get around it is if a line produces like the lotto line did on the east coast trip.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The bottom 6 has looked a bit lifeless since Garland (and now Joshua) were moved up with Miller. When Lindholm is back, some adjustments really need to be made to get more balance into the lineup. Right now opposing teams can effectively hard match the top 2 lines because the bottom 6 has zero threat to score.

Having 3 waves of pressure that are a threat to score at even strength is going to be key - the only way you can get around it is if a line produces like the lotto line did on the east coast trip.
I think you have to go with Joshua - Blueger - Garland as the 3rd line. It's overkill to put them with Miller. Like you said, you're basically robbing the bottom-six of any kind of efficacy if you move them up.

Joshua/Garland turn any center into a line with elite 5v5 play. They don't need Miller for that.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Petey - Miller/lindholm - Boeser
Joshua - miller/ lindholm - Garland
Hog -Bluegar - Mik
Pod - Suter - Ladd

I think we should roll with that

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think you have to go with Joshua - Blueger - Garland as the 3rd line. It's overkill to put them with Miller. Like you said, you're basically robbing the bottom-six of any kind of efficacy if you move them up.

Joshua/Garland turn any center into a line with elite 5v5 play. They don't need Miller for that.

Yes agreed. And Blueger was actually contributing offensively back then. Miller-Boeser should be reunited, probably with Suter again, and I'd try Lindholm back with Pettersson/Hoglander when he's ready.

Podz/Aman/Lafferty will have to do as the fourth line.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
1000009200.jpg

Didn't know we beat the Ducks last night as well, thanks Sportsnet. Those goddamn Ariheim Duckotes.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
We desperately need last year's EP. That puts them firmly into top contender status. He needs to find a way to rise to the occasion. If he's hurt, sit him out and let him recover. He can't go 7 game stretches like this or we'll get terfed in Round 1.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yes agreed. And Blueger was actually contributing offensively back then. Miller-Boeser should be reunited, probably with Suter again, and I'd try Lindholm back with Pettersson/Hoglander when he's ready.

Podz/Aman/Lafferty will have to do as the fourth line.
Yep. Perhaps you saw my lineup in the GDT haha.

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Petey - Lindholm
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
PDG/Podkolzin - Lafferty - Mikheyev

Optimal lineup they can ice IMO.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Was a pretty hum drum game...90% of the credit on the winning goal goes to Quinn Hughes..He was determined to make up for taking two minors in succession in the 3rd (one of them was a brutal call).

Quinn was breaking ankles, and had guys chasing him all over the ice ( keeping possession for what seemed like 15 seconds)..Incredible player

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hah, I think that's likely. I forgot Mikheyev even existed...

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He is a riddle wrapped in an enigma, cloaked by an agent and obscured by a marketing department
Unless you are close the the players, there is no way for things to leak and with the team being as good as it is now, it’s highly unlikely any players want to leak anything and be the guy who f***ed up the vibes.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Suter - Miller - Boeser

This is very very likely what we see in Game 1. Could see Mikheyev in Suter’s spot to start to give him a run and use his speed.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is very very likely what we see in Game 1. Could see Mikheyev in Suter’s spot to start to give him a run and use his speed.
Suter - Miller - Boeser as a line was running like 65% xG and up 11-2 GF/GA, or something like that.

I think they should put that back together ASAP.

I think what I posted is their optimal lineup, but Tocchet really seems averse to deploying his team optimally, especially on the PP.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Is Lafferty even serviceable as a C? We haven't really seen it all year, outside of very brief periods where I seem to recall he didn't look very good.

Chemistry-wise, another option is rolling four lines with:

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Lafferty
Podkolzin - Lindholm - Mikheyev

You never like to put Pettersson with Lafferty, but there's more chemistry between Hoglander/Lafferty and Podkolzin/Lindholm/Mikheyev than Pettersson has with anyone. It might be an idea to just try to ice something that can be effective without Pettersson, and hope that he rises to the occasion at some point, instead of jeopardizing the entire lineup just to try to get him going like it feels like they've spent some time doing.

Reactions: DFAC

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
i have been wrong so many times about behind the scenes stuff with ep that i just don't have a clue what is up.

This is the best, most honest post on EP in this thread. Everyone else, myself included, should take a beat. You guys are talking as if he’s not a PPG career player and just some bum.

@ScottishCanuck made a great point earlier because he has hardly used his shot at all for like a month now. When he does, it looks surprisingly human.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ive missed the last buncha games because im out of the country but wow, looking at the box scores looks like hughes is making a late push to keep the norris out of reach

Is Lafferty even serviceable as a C? We haven't really seen it all year, outside of very brief periods where I seem to recall he didn't look very good.

Chemistry-wise, another option is rolling four lines with:

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Lafferty
Podkolzin - Lindholm - Mikheyev

You never like to put Pettersson with Lafferty, but there's more chemistry between Hoglander/Lafferty and Podkolzin/Lindholm/Mikheyev than Pettersson has with anyone. It might be an idea to just try to ice something that can be effective without Pettersson, and hope that he rises to the occasion at some point, instead of jeopardizing the entire lineup just to try to get him going like it feels like they've spent some time doing.

i like

suter miller boeser
hög petey pod
josh bluegers garland
mik lindholm laff

i think each line has the potential to do something special. second line could catch lightning in a bottle, à la jeff carter with rookie toffoli and pearson once upon a time. and that fourth line could be one hell of a shutdown line.

and when shit gets real,

petey miller boes
josh bluegers garland
hög lindholm pod
mik suter laff

but man, if that podkolzin spot in the lineup was toffoli…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad