Post-Game Talk: [GM69] Canucks defeat Sabres | 3-2 (Pettersson(2) & Garland) | NICE!

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Something I think I notice when Demmer is out if the lineup is the DeSmith is very different goalie that Clark normally works. The way DeSmith plays is very different than Demmer positions himself and deals with rebound control.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a significant learning curve between the two minders

Reactions: geebster

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Minnesota are 7-2-1 their last 10 and trails Vegas by only 3 points. If Minnesota continues this push, who knows…

St. Louis is also right there and trail 4 points. Going to be interesting who takes that final wild card spot. Vegas is just so bad right now.
After trading so much away so they could be 20 mil over the cap this playoffs...I need Vegas to miss entirely. I might die laughing, but it'd be worth it.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Sorry but horrible take on Brock. Even the best scorers miss 80% of the time. The guy has 36 goals and is a ppg plus 20 going up against top lines. His play since being healthy from the start for once, is top line production for 6 million a year. Christ what more does he have to do to finally get the credit he deserves.
Tochett literally has him out there closing out games, that should be enough of sign for his detracters.
Think Boeser has made good strides in his defensive game (that I have consistently acknowledged) but it's still not a strenght. Just doesn't have the kind of speed or first step that allows to track down people in transition in the neutral zone or get real good pressure on the puck in his zone. Would say there are many offensive players in the League who aren't much better. Lots given only a token effort (as Boeser did for much of the last few years) so it's a tribute to the coaches that they have got him as defensively involved as they have. But he isn't ever going to be a defensive stalwart and if he isn't scoring then he's a negative.

Best aspect of his game is his puck movement and with him being in better shape and somewhat quicker he has done well for most of the season. Sees the ice decently and moves puck well in the offenisve zone.

Case I am making here is that the Canucks have to worry about the cap. They are going to have to make some difficult decisions. I think you can make a case that Boeser's production can be replaced by maybe a cheaper alternative. For example. could Hoglander if given that he is played with Miller all year, that he is played on the first PP all year and gets Boeser's minutes could score at the same rate and do it cheaper He's got 20 without any of this. Or are there younger players in the League who have not yet been given the chance Boeser has been given that could score in Boeser's range a complete of mill less than 6.5.

If so, then you get the chance to trade Boeser and get something like a first rounder and, at the same time, find internally or in free agency a player that can replace Boeser's production. Such thoughts occur when you see Boeser blowing the kind of chances he did in this game.

What I'm saying is NOT an anti-Boeser diatrabe but only the need to consider alternative to make best use of the cap and to retain other players we want to keep. Boeser's season has been a huge improvment over the past few. But we have seen in hte past how if he loses a step to injury, conditioning or whatever he simply isn't worth the money. Making use of him as asset to help with the cap or to get something good while he's hot should, in my mind, needs be a consideration if you are trying to consider all your alternatives.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Myers - sort of epitomized the Canuck defense in this game. Kept teams largely to the outside and moved puck up from the back quickly. Soucy had the one were he got walked but he was, again, good deep in his end. Defense, in general, was as strenght in this game.

One thing I liked about Myers game is that he got Jost pretty good after he was running around in the first period.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Think Boeser has made good strides in his defensive game (that I have consistently acknowledged) but it's still not a strenght. Just doesn't have the kind of speed or first step that allows to track down people in transition in the neutral zone or get real good pressure on the puck in his zone. Would say there are many offensive players in the League who aren't much better. Lots given only a token effort (as Boeser did for much of the last few years) so it's a tribute to the coaches that they have got him as defensively involved as they have.

Going to disagree here a little bit.

Yes, his skating is definitely a problem when it comes to his ability to be a high-end defensive player, but a lot of time it has a lot more to do with effort and/or awareness than speed.

You'll often see him gliding back in the neutral zone, and then an opposing skater passes him, and then he realizes he better catch up but he can't can't skate fast enough to do so. Some players simply have the defensive awareness and IQ to skate around naturally yet always be in the right spot. Others, like Boeser, ought to realize they need to bust their ass to get into a "failsafe" position on the ice so they can't get beat, because if they do get beat, it's too late.

Players with minus skating ability need to put themselves in the right positions to make up for it, and sometimes it takes hard work. He does it pretty well in the offensive zone which allows him to often be in the right area. That same effort and attention to detail is not simply not there when it comes to defending.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
They got their Cup, I don’t think they’ll be that bothered.

If Canucks win the Cup they can miss the playoffs for 20 straight years for all I care.

Exactly my thoughts.

Hard for a cup-less fan to dunk on a team that has one (and a relevant one, unlike the Leafs, for example) by default.

Reactions: LordBacon

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

If Canucks win the Cup they can miss the playoffs for 20 straight years for all I care.

That's good timing for when my grandkids would be able to enjoy their Stanley Cup. :laugh:

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019

20 years is a lot XD I dont want to die without seeing another playoffs XD. I agree their fans shouldnt be too bothered since they have the cup, however as an outside onlooker itd be hilarious nonetheless.

Also I have several friends who suddenly went from Nucks fans to Vegas fans as of June last year and I will definitely bring it up XD. Bandwagoners dont have the perspective to say "hey we won a cup, I'm ok with 5 or 6 lean years" so my needling should work just fine =P

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Going to disagree here a little bit.

Yes, his skating is definitely a problem when it comes to his ability to be a high-end defensive player, but a lot of time it has a lot more to do with effort and/or awareness than speed.

You'll often see him gliding back in the neutral zone, and then an opposing skater passes him, and then he realizes he better catch up but he can't can't skate fast enough to do so. Some players simply have the defensive awareness and IQ to skate around naturally yet always be in the right spot. Others, like Boeser, ought to realize they need to bust their ass to get into a "failsafe" position on the ice so they can't get beat, because if they do get beat, it's too late.

Players with minus skating ability need to put themselves in the right positions to make up for it, and sometimes it takes hard work. He does it pretty well in the offensive zone which allows him to often be in the right area. That same effort and attention to detail is not simply not there when it comes to defending.
Boeser kind reminds me a little of Luc Robataille.....the knock on him was that he couldn't skate, but he still found ways to score a lot of goals. Positioning and a quick stick made up for a lot of his neutral ice deficiencies and lack of explosiveness.

In a perfect world, the Canucks would love to have Boeser return. But he'd be due a raise on his base salary of $6.65m. And I just can't see how a $7m-$8m contract for Boeser makes any sense for the Canucks at this point.

So it becomes a question of not 'if' but 'when' he's dealt. And coming off a career year, if he were to falter a bit in his UFA season, the Canucks might get a lot less on the trade market. So some movement over the summer seems likely.

Reactions: orcatown

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Boeser kind reminds me a little of Luc Robataille.....the knock on him was that he couldn't skate, but he still found ways to score a lot of goals. Positioning and a quick stick made up for a lot of his neutral ice deficiencies and lack of explosiveness.

In a perfect world, the Canucks would love to have Boeser return. But he'd be due a raise on his base salary of $6.65m. And I just can't see how a $7m-$8m contract for Boeser makes any sense for the Canucks at this point.

So it becomes a question of not 'if' but 'when' he's dealt. And coming off a career year, if he were to falter a bit in his UFA season, the Canucks might get a lot less on the trade market. So some movement over the summer seems likely.
I think with the cap jumping after next season to as high as 90-91 million they will gladly pay their best goal scorer ppg winger who's got excellent chemistry with JT and others.
Losing Brock creates a massive hole that would need to be filled for likely a higher cap hit.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think with the cap jumping after next season to as high as 90-91 million they will gladly pay their best goal scorer ppg winger who's got excellent chemistry with JT and others.
Losing Brock creates a massive hole that would need to be filled for likely a higher cap hit.
No matter where the cap is, extending Boeser for three or four more years at $7m-$8m would be a colossal mistake imo.

The Canucks have only three d-men under contract for next season--Hughes, Hronek and Juulsen. Unless they're convinced that somebody in Abbotsford is able to step up (and there's been little evidence of that this season).....then they're going to have re-make their entire blueline this off-season.

If they're serious about bringing back Zadorov or even Myers, then the blueline has to be their priority.

Reactions: orcatown

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
After trading so much away so they could be 20 mil over the cap this playoffs...I need Vegas to miss entirely. I might die laughing, but it'd be worth it.

like the time nonis traded his entire 2006 draft for noronen, carney, weinrich, sean brown, omelette and we still finished 9th

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not much different.

Poor 3rd period today and he's been iffy the last couple weeks but I thought he was terrific through February and the fan reaction to his play has been weird. Dunno if people starting expecting he'd score 70 ES points after the first two months of the season, or what.
I think its more about his play on the ice than the counting stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00