Post-Game Talk: [GM54] Canucks defeat Blackhawks | 4-2 (Garland(2), Hoglander, & Joshua | 3rd Line? 1ST LINE

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Three days of nice weather for Lindholms first days living in vancouver.

Great first impressions of a new city in feb, no snow and ugly Calgary.
Get him a coal harbor penthouse asap!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Three days of nice weather for Lindholms first days living in vancouver.

Great first impressions of a new city in feb, no snow and ugly Calgary.
Get him a coal harbor penthouse asap!
Tanev will convince him to stay

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
the powerplay needs alot of work. unit 1 stays too long and doesnt shoot too many cute stuff. they're allergic to shooting or somethings. they need to work on with with 30 something games left to go. it can be the difference maker in the playoffs of winning a game/series. the past few games. tocchett has been using the 2nd unit more. maybe they should switch up some guys. id put joshua front net presence for the 1st unit drop down boeser or lindholm.

Reactions: calnuck

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
the powerplay needs alot of work. unit 1 stays too long and doesnt shoot too many cute stuff. they're allergic to shooting or somethings. they need to work on with with 30 something games left to go. it can be the difference maker in the playoffs of winning a game/series. the past few games. tocchett has been using the 2nd unit more. maybe they should switch up some guys. id put joshua front net presence for the 1st unit drop down boeser or lindholm.
It's weird because I seem to recall the PP2 usage has been "by accident" as most of the PP1 guys were out for the shift prior, and PP2 just happens to be able to control the play decently well and stays out for longer than expected. Frankly PP2 (including Garland) deserve a shot anyway given that the personnel has mostly outplayed PP1 at evens anyway.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Reading the GDT, lol you guys need to chill.

All-Stars look more fatigued than the rest of the team.

Lindholm, Pettersson, and Hoglander look to be a good line. Lindholm has been solid defensively and his forecheck was key to that goal. And of course Pettersson and Hoglander combined for a goal last time too. Keep it together & give them some stability and time to build chemistry.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Does anyone else feel like they're living in the Twilight Zone? It still hasn't quite sunk in for me yet - that after 53 games played, we are 1st overall in the league. I'm absolutely loving what's happening, but also wary at the same time. Is this for real?

Maybe my psyche has been damaged from the past few years when nothing was working. Now we have depth players who are winning games when our stars are in a dip. I remember snickering last year at the thought of Tocchet becoming our HC.

Shaking my head. I sure hope this is for real.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Does anyone else feel like they're living in the Twilight Zone? It still hasn't quite sunk in for me yet - that after 53 games played, we are 1st overall in the league. I'm absolutely loving what's happening, but also wary at the same time. Is this for real?

Maybe my psyche has been damaged from the past few years when nothing was working. Now we have depth players who are winning games when our stars are in a dip. I remember snickering last year at the thought of Tocchet becoming our HC.

Shaking my head. I sure hope this is for real.

I knew this group could do this, I just didn’t think it would ever happen. My view of hockey had been so distorted from years of suck I forgot how much difference it is to have a solid coaching staff. For me it seems so obvious why it’s working with Tocc looking back, but I had no idea. Moreover, I just really like the guy. You can tell he cares, that he’s a competitor still. His passion for the game is clear and his respect is and has never been in question from the players.

Really happy to see Josho jump in for Garland. I don’t like it as a hockey fan, but it shows me the guys genuinely care. This is that sweet spot where hockey isn’t a job anymore - it’s a privilege. Because it is, and that’s why you work so damn hard every summer as a player I think. You have to eat these vegetables to get to the meat and potatoes - luck forbidding dessert.

When you don’t *have* to care, you just do, that’s what a good hockey team is. It’s not a lifestyle, it’s not cool, it’s not nothing if you don’t win. To channel Yogi Berra.

I still think we are 50% riding a PDO-bender or whatever. I think that stat is garbage, it’s just even in a game like this I see so many, not all mistakes perse , but areas ripe for exploitation in our game. They should be obvious just by looking at the roster on paper. I think Myers is redlining his usefulness meter and has been for a couple weeks now, so I am getting concerned in certain areas I believe to be crucial to Cup aspirations.

Not to go all Marvel on y’all but this is it for me: I see 7 million futures, and in like 98% of them I feel safe saying almost any realistic, relatively normal way this season can end from here, this season can or should be considered a huge success, no? Like, I am certain this team will have exceeded my expectations by now. To me as fans, this is the sweetest spot as a fan. We are playing with house money. We did not expect to even be here, anything is gravy. This is me at my most optimistic. The only spot better than that is when you expect to win - but it’s also incredibly stressful.

@ChilliBilly its not a seagull goal, it’s “passive back checking”. ;) all my best.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Reading the GDT, lol you guys need to chill.

All-Stars look more fatigued than the rest of the team.

Lindholm, Pettersson, and Hoglander look to be a good line. Lindholm has been solid defensively and his forecheck was key to that goal. And of course Pettersson and Hoglander combined for a goal last time too. Keep it together & give them some stability and time to build chemistry.
It's good to expect the best all the time but I feel like many posters here have been team tank the last 6 years and are you aren't able to shake that mentality.

Reactions: Wisp and calnuck

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Lindholm - beginning to establish what this player is. Makes quick smart plays going both ways. Doesn't look like a player who is going to wow you with some end to end rush but has the wheels to stay in the play and facitilate others . Right now he is somewhat handicapped by adjusting to Pettersson's tendency to over handle the puck. Like others, Lindholm was open for passes, but Pettersson, rather than moving the puck, dallied with it and the opening was lost.

I feel like this may be a byproduct of Pettersson have very little to work with on his line for so long. He seemingly lost faith Kuzmenko was an option and the less said about him and Mikheyev the better. It would explain his more selfish, "do it all myself" style of play this season compared to last year.

The hope is with Lindholm both opening up space and and being a consistent threat along with Hoglander's rather dynamic offense will coax him to be more aware of the pass option. Or at the very least willing to take it.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
1707940527882.png

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
One of the rare games where Quinn's decision making was a bit questionable.

Also didn't love giving up multiple odd man rushes when defending the lead in the 3rd.

But came out strong and this game was never really in any doubt.

Strong road trip. Hoping the heat from the recent game vs DET helps avoid the "first game back" funk, but I am expecting a bit of a flat effort next game. And that's okay. This group has earned an off night here and there.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I can only guess that the Blackhawks were trying to rope a dope the Canucks in the first period to come out strong later.
Bad plan that only worked a little bit as they had two goals on them quickly.

They were lucky there weren't more and the luck was spelled Mrazak who looks to be a great goaltender.
Was there a trap? I only know they shut down our first two lines and survived our power play. But our depth did them in the form a rat and two dogs.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Pettersson IMO is adjusting to having linemates he can trust again.

Reactions: Play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad