Post-Game Talk: [GM5] Canucks defeat Panthers | 5-3 (Hughes, Soucy, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, & Boeser) | Bend, Don’t Break

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Brett Pesce is kind of exactly what we need.

I know he's the flavour of the month and would cost a small fortune but damn is that tempting when you look at the composition of this team.

Reactions: wonton15

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that was a game against a less structured team with a defence that gave our forwards room and didn't seem to be able to use last change as well, or maybe tochett and company are getting better at bench management. it was still high energy, but a more typical regular season game than we have been playing so far.

we look a lot better against that kind of team in that kind of game, and we can use the confidence boost.

friedman is not the right answer, but at least he shows his work. myers needs to be sheltered at this point. i wonder how he fits in the locker room. i used to think he was not affected much mentally by ups and downs and that was a strength he needed given his tendency to make big mistakes, but this year it seems to me he has pretty much got the yips.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Hughes won’t win because the voters are brain dead morons who vote for the narrative they like best.

They do t like Hughes.

I find I don't really care about awards and accolades. It's a subjective popularity contest. Like who really cares about someone's opinion on who should win? You can't really have a wrong opinion and the awards don't give the Canucks any points. It's a big ho hum in my opinion. There are a lot of good defenceman worthy of consideration and I'am sure he'll get some recognition.

I think they like Hughes quite a bit. Why wouldn't they?

Reactions: Indiana and andora

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This has basically been the story for the whole season. They’ve managed to create a Makar-Toews pairing - which is theoretically f***ing awesome - but unfortunately don’t have the depth to justify keeping it together.

I’m feeling like they should keep that pairing together in home games where they can get preferred matchups and then split it up on the road to create 2 competent pairings.

the really good news with that is finding a #3/4LD is much, much easier than finding a #2RD, and it's about the best case scenario for the personnel that started the season.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Wellp.

That was a really good 2 periods of hockey.

@Chairman Maouth Myers' best game this year and he solid over all. Still has trouble with his reads like he always does and that led to some turnovers but not as costly as most of the season.

- Miller is playing the best hockey of his career. That line is dynamite.
- I do not like how we get shelled when the opponent pushes the pace.
- At least Hronek is not going to be expensive to extend if this is how he plays all season. (Positive spin!)

I dont know what to think of Mikheyev's skating. He looked rusty and his speed seemed to be there at one point and then he looked awkward taking his first steps the second...

You're alright. :thumbu:

Reactions: Indiana

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Hronek honestly has not impressed me so far.

giphy (7).gif

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I've been a pretty big Myers supporter... He had a year where i think you could say he was a legit No.4 guy, then he had a few years where he was a No.5 guy.
Last year was rough, but this year........ this year he's so bad, i really cant believe he fell so hard, its not like he's 36 yrs old.
Hughes Hronek Cole Soucy Friedman - i can live with this if we brought in anohter player.... but i cant live with this when you slot Myers in there. He's so bad.
Hirose on his off-side would be better than Myers. this was an ugly game for him and quite reflective of his entire season

Reactions: bh53 and Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Throughout the entire game, I was puzzled by the fact that OEL continued to receive significant ice time despite his mistakes. The box score clearly indicates that he had the second-highest TOI for the Panthers' D. On the other hand, Mahura had the least amount of TOI. I thought he had considerable contribution and positive impact on the game for Panthers. What was going through their coach's mind? BTW, watching the team play against OEL was a delightful experience.
Not what I saw (or most of the media reporters)...Other than the Kuzmenko goal, OEL looked surprisingly good..Especially for a #4 D man having to cover for the injured first pairing...
He was +20 in shot attempts.

• "Oliver Ekman-Larsson is having a nice little post-Canucks renaissance with the Florida Panthers, as he’s playing top-pairing minutes and quarterbacking the first power play unit. He was dominant for most of the game, leading the Panthers in corsi — they out-attempted the Canucks 30-to-10 when he was on the ice at 5-on-5 — but he was also partly responsible for the Canucks’ game-winning goal, so there’s still a little bit of Canuck left in him."

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I've been a pretty big Myers supporter... He had a year where i think you could say he was a legit No.4 guy, then he had a few years where he was a No.5 guy.
Last year was rough, but this year........ this year he's so bad, i really cant believe he fell so hard, its not like he's 36 yrs old.
Hughes Hronek Cole Soucy Friedman - i can live with this if we brought in anohter player.... but i cant live with this when you slot Myers in there. He's so bad.
Hirose on his off-side would be better than Myers. this was an ugly game for him and quite reflective of his entire season
Agree 100% with this post..He's had up and down seasons with the team, and was a borderline top 4 player last season...In all of his time here, he's never carried a pairing....This season, he was earmarked for the 3rd pairing (with the acquisition of Hronek).

I didnt think the first two games of this season were that bad (the coach actually praised him before the road trip)..Myers has had some terrible games in the past, but every game on this current road trip he's been brutal...His mobility is still good, considering his height and age, but his decision making is currently on another level.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
The issue was your expectations. Hronek has been solid all over the ice.
He's had a plethora of give aways and unforced errors or at least mistakes reading the play. Obviously a huge upgrade, but he's not been without his warts. Hopefully it's just growing pains, but it's not like Wings fans hadn't shared similar thoughts about his play.

As posted before, I'd really like to see him given more responsibility with being the top dog on his own pairing.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Not what I saw (or most of the media reporters)...Other than the Kuzmenko goal, OEL looked surprisingly good..Especially for a #4 D man having to cover for the injured first pairing...
He was +20 in shot attempts.
  • "Oliver Ekman-Larsson is having a nice little post-Canucks renaissance with the Florida Panthers, as he’s playing top-pairing minutes and quarterbacking the first power play unit. He was dominant for most of the game, leading the Panthers in corsi — they out-attempted the Canucks 30-to-10 when he was on the ice at 5-on-5 — but he was also partly responsible for the Canucks’ game-winning goal, so there’s still a little bit of Canuck left in him."
Perhaps I shouldn't have labeled his play as mistakes. It's possible that the expectations for OEL have been set quite low, but IMO, his performance wasn't good at all. He maintained his typical slow pace and had a few fumbles with the puck, especially during power plays. Overall, I believe he was easy to play against and didn't add much value to the team. He pretty much seemed like the same old OEL.

"He was dominant for most of the game"? Perhaps I don't fully grasp the meaning of the word "dominant" since English is my 2nd language.

Reactions: Indiana

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Perhaps I shouldn't have labeled his play as mistakes. It's possible that the expectations for OEL have been set quite low, but IMO, his performance wasn't good at all. He maintained his typical slow pace and had a few fumbles with the puck, especially during power plays. Overall, I believe he was easy to play against and didn't add much value to the team. He pretty much seemed like the same old OEL.

"He was dominant for most of the game"? Perhaps I don't fully grasp the meaning of the word "dominant" since English is my 2nd language.
You weren't mistaken in what you saw. That poster is the outlier. OEL is miles beyond cooked.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

What the stats imply , and what all the Canucks media saw ,run contrary to what you saw....OEL didnt resemble the injured, broken immobile D man of last year at all.

If Hughes and Hronek were injured, would you be nitpicking Cole or Soucy for fumbling the puck on the PP...?..

Its your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I think you watched the game with the anti-OEL bias goggles on.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Missed the game and the gdt, but based off of a quick read over I can conclude the following:

-Chicken tikka masala is British
-OEL fell into the boards
-Mikheyev is back
-Seeing Suter mentioned gives me Sutter PTSD
-Brock Boeser
-5-3 Canucks

Anything else to note??

• Haha
Reactions: andora and Indiana

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Missed the game and the gdt, but based off of a quick read over I can conclude the following:

-Mikheyev is back
-Brock Boeser
-5-3 Canucks

Anything else to note??
Hughes is a God

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
It's nice when your coaching staff have the balls to bench their $6 million defensemen in the 3rd period of a close game. Had Myers played a regular shift there would have been a solid chance the Canucks would have lost last night.

A lot less politics when he's a player that wasn't brought in by this regime, is on an expiring contract, and has less than 1m dollars real money owed at this point.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

-Mikheyev is back
-Brock Boeser
-5-3 Canucks

Anything else to note??
You should probably be clear that the reason it’s British is their food was such trash they had to adopt Indian ideas to make something good.

Also Myers f***ed up Hughes zero goal streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad