Post-Game Talk: [GM28] Canucks defeat Hurricanes | 4-3 (Pettersson, Miller, Mikheyev, & Lafferty) | Skin of Their Teeth

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think Carolina's "window" has closed at all. But they are such a weirdly constructed team right now. It's like EA Hockey Videogame sort of roster construction.

They've got such a surplus of Top-3D, but they haven't got an actual #2Center. They're even still kind of thin on the wings on top of that.

They basically bet the season on a pair of okayish goaltenders who have injury history...and i guess here they are. This is what happens. They look a bit like the Canucks last year, but kind of flipped in construction. They don't look engaged or serious. A lot of tuned out seeming players.

They have no star talent at any position, bad goaltending, and are getting outplayed 5-on-5 pretty regularly. It’s not looking good for them, and that does not look remotely like a contending team to me right now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They have no star talent at any position, bad goaltending, and are getting outplayed 5-on-5 pretty regularly. It’s not looking good for them, and that does not look remotely like a contending team to me right now.

Ehhh...People said that about other teams like the Vegas Glitters too. Depth is huge in this league today. But their depth is weirdly unbalanced.

You're right in that they don't necessarily have that huge "superstar" talent. But Aho is a really darn good player. Maybe not as talented as Pettersson, but a lot more consistent. Svechnikov is their other real gamebreaker...who obviously didn't play tonight. We don't really have a winger like that, so there's no equivalent...but missing that guy is huge for them.

It's just so weird that they're viewed as "contenders" when their #2C is f***ing Kotkaniemi. Like for srs? Sorry. No.

Their defence is insanely deep though. Also weird in that it's lacking a superstar. But they've got it built a lot like the 2010-11 Canucks. They've got 5 Top-3D. Slavin is even remarkably similar to what Hamhuis was at the time.

Staal is still probably the best #3C in the game right now, but that doesn't really make up for the hole at #2C.

Their goaltending has fallen apart on some bad gambles...but i don't think, especially after what they did last season, it was unreasonable to consider them a contender. Despite those holes. They're all just coming out in a big way right now.

Reactions: bh53 and sting101

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Felt, at times, like they were determined to keep Carolina in the game. Dumb penalties (like the Miller penalty in the first and then the too many men penalties), some errant passes by some of better players, and continual icings were interspered with some very good play. Canucks should have won this going away but kept shooting themselves in the foot.

Good

Pettersson - most hopeful sign in a while. Skated better and much more alert with the puck. Huge if he can use this to start turning his season around. Seems strange to say that when he is so high in the points standings but I think most of us realize he hasn't been at his beat.

Myers - that was a good effort. Him and Zadorov kept their end clean and consistently moved people off the puck and cleared their zone. Myers has shown that when he gets in the right combo he can be effective as he was with Soucy earlier in the season. Duet of Myers and Zadorov could be a mainstay if they play like this. Liked both on the PK

Lafferty - big help to Pettersson and may have found a home on that line. Having a break out season and really good bang for the buck. Excellent two way game. would say also the Mikheyev was better in this game.

Joshua - getting there much better even if still a little clumsy around the net. Helping his line become effectve. As usual Garland helped with his constant puck pressure.

Demko - made some outstanding saves. Had no chance on the goals. I'd say a bounce back effort by Demko

Miller - maybe not as good as he has been through most of the season but still he is always vital to any win. Has to be seen as one of the superior players in the League.

Bad

Hughes - got to be said - this was not a good game for Hughes. Made absolutely brain dead and horrible play on the first Canes goal (think he got benched for awhile after that) and was often unable to handle pressure around his net. Left his man unchecked and tried to intercept passes going thru the crease to the open man he was suppose to have.. Happened on the PP especially and throughout the game. On the PP there was too much dipsy doodling as he packed the puck around in circles (almost losing it at times) and leaving the rest of the players standing around watching. Entries on PP were also poor. Decline off the PP and decline in Hronek play is an indication of the drop off in Hughes play. You wonder if he is banged up b/c you can see in the various game reports that he is getting less mention and is not an automatic game star.

DiGuiseppe - don't think he is useful at this level any longer.

Others

Boeser - shooting seems off. Mis-timed his shot and ended sputtering the puck pass the net. However, he made a very good play on the Miller goal (likely his best play of the season) and his defense is so much better. Transforming boeser into a decent defensive player was sorely needed and he should be lauded for working on this.

Blueger - as advertised - glue player and good on faceoffs.

Good to see the team can scrap out wins when not at theri best.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Can you remember 9/11 as it happened? If you can, you're a millennial. If you can't, you're a zoomer. That's my cut off.
Well, i didn't move to the western hemisphere until I was 12 so i dont remember it clearly, but i do remember adults chatting about it as some sort of gossip when it happened. Also, the 9/11 effect was not as clear in Asia as it was in the western world

My first ever cellphone was nokia 5310, second was Sony Ericsson, does that count?:sarcasm::laugh:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Can you remember 9/11 as it happened? If you can, you're a millennial. If you can't, you're a zoomer. That's my cut off.
Pretty much same. If you can remember what life was like before 9/11 and how things changed then millenial

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I really like Mikheyev.

Pretty much same. If you can remember what life was like before 9/11 and how things changed then millenial
Generation_timeline.svg.png

I found this

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i thought the canucks at times put on a clinic and the canes looked a little lost with their dmen especially seeming out of sorts. burns was the only guy having fun because they were playing catchup all night.

we are starting to see the new details with the canucks really making a difference. they do so much more now than just push until they're gassed then hang on until they get their breath back they way they used to. the calm patient third periods with the lead are just so unfamiliar.

and that jt miller goal was an absolute coaching goal. pettersson kept the puck alive for a change then cycled it to the new wingers and then even though we had ozone possession headed for the bench and the wingers cycled until miller changed on for ep and scored. exactly what tochett is trying to do and we have seen repeatedly the canucks change with possession in the ozone this year .

last year pettersson would have stayed on the ice.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
question, as someone born in 96, am I a zoomer or millennial ? Apparently that's the year of divide

When did ya'll get your first cellular telephone? How old were you, or what grade? Do you remember the sound of a dialup modem?

That's a good cutoff too. But it seems so weird to define a generation by such a stupid thing that actually completely transcends those generations.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
That was a bad third period looked like Travis Green days. Which is weird because for a majority of the season when they have been leading in the third they have been pretty bang on. Also was quite surprised that PDG didn’t take Hoglander spot in the third. Good for him even won a puck battle with to get the puck out of the zone with a couple minutes left after turning it over.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I know there's still a long way to go, but this season has been quite striking so far. Last year, we must have found 50 different ways to lose a game. This year, we're finding different ways to win, especially when we're not at our best.

And I can't forget that Phil Di Giuseppe was a big part of our early season success. Hope he and Kuz will turn it around.

The coaches have shown patience with Juulsen, and he's getting better each game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad