GM rankings!!! Vote now!

With the off season here and very little to keep us active i thought it would be the perfect time to start voting for our annual GM rankings. Lists can be sent to [email protected]

Some guys just did top 10's last year, but it would be appreciated if full lists could be sent in, just because it makes the bottom half that much more accurate. I think i got about a 50% return rate last year, so i'm hoping to get 20GM's votes

lets put it this way....if you were an owner looking to sign a GM to run your franchise other than you...who would you want to run it? Obviously more active GM's tend to be the better and more succesful ones, but maintaining a strong team is often as hard as improving a bad one.

Some have done well in improving their team and getting them out of the basement without and real success, others have won without putting great rosters together...you have to judge who is the better GM in your opinion....and the best judge of that is which one you'd have running your team....make sense?

As for deadlines...i'd love to say I'll cut it off at the end of August. no set date, but the sooner you can get it in, the more help it is for me :help:

Ideally its 29 GM's listed. I have accepted top 10's last year, but its not that hard to type 29 names, even if it requires a little thought as well! :D

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Whats the criteria? Strictly team performance or activity, involvement, etc?

Always a tough call on these things as each GM has different views on the importance of different aspects but maybe we should try and put at least a semblance of framework.

As an example I would score GM's on a 10 point scale in three different categories (yes it's a very "Drew" view of the world).

1. Builder
Team success is one factor in this score but could also be a GM who has stayed on a committed path/plan whereas the low end of the spectrum would be the pure prospectors or whimsical traders

2. Scouting Effectiveness
A score on what a GM does with the picks he has not necessarily a score on how stacked the teams farm is(ie trading for 5 first round pick doesn't make you a good evaluator of talent). I would also take into consideration those who actively scout and acquire undrfted future talent (Brock is probably the bechmark here)

3. Participation
Contributions either on the board or working constructively in other ways to make the league a better experience

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Always a tough call on these things as each GM has different views on the importance of different aspects but maybe we should try and put at least a semblance of framework.

As an example I would score GM's on a 10 point scale in three different categories (yes it's a very "Drew" view of the world).

1. Builder
Team success is one factor in this score but could also be a GM who has stayed on a committed path/plan whereas the low end of the spectrum would be the pure prospectors or whimsical traders

2. Scouting Effectiveness
A score on what a GM does with the picks he has not necessarily a score on how stacked the teams farm is(ie trading for 5 first round pick doesn't make you a good evaluator of talent). I would also take into consideration those who actively scout and acquire undrfted future talent (Brock is probably the bechmark here)

3. Participation
Contributions either on the board or working constructively in other ways to make the league a better experience

That's pretty much how I approached it as well, although I'd be lying if I took the time to create a structure like that in order to do my rankings. I particularly like that you used the word "Builder" instead of simply "Performance" or some other measure of on-ice success that does not adequately encompass the different situations and routes that teams take to success (or failure).

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
They are coming...just had zero time lately...but will be releasing them soon! btw...sean...have you got last years rankings still saved somewhere? just be interesting to compare to last year too! if so can you e-mail me them? thanks.

Pretty sure I have it somewhere, Josh. I looked through the news archives and havent found it, but I'll look in a few other places.

edit- Didnt see Dryden's post... thanks for digging that up!

Last edited:

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site

ThrashersGM

Dec 14, 2006
Sorry guys, been pretty busy with the offseason of my league. I would have sent in my votes but I still don't really know everyone. But I'm sure I was at the top of all your lists :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad