Confirmed with Link: GM Kent Hughes Mid-Season Press Conference Jan 15, 11AM ET

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wish Bergevin would have added the above.
I think with ROR, Danault and Suzuki when we went to the scf we have a shot at the cup. The only good piece we had to acquire him was Sergachev though who was traded for Drouin the previous year.

Agreed, he also mentioned re-signing Kulak and Lehkonen prior to trading them.
Of course it would be dumb to say we are trading this guy he's not back no matter what.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
In terms of the defense, the fact that players are developing well in Laval gives him a longer runway to figure out the long term defense situation. They don't have a gun to their head at the moment but if there is an opportunity like Romanov they will do it, but there is no urgency right now because players are progressing well everywhere.

He was asked about having a PPG player etc..

He said he always points out Patrice Bergeron who wasnt a PPG player but is a HOF, so he doesn't necessarily look at it like that. He is looking to "rebalance the ledger" as they have a lot of depth in terms of "B prospects" and will use that to add high end talent.

The words in quotes are his words exactly.
Frankly, It's easier said then done, your either looking for a newhook (player not fitting the timeline with a team) or a Dubois (disgruntled). Most teams literally say the same thing come draft time "we need more elite talent", so unless your about to trade for a nylander before his pay day your trying to parlay them into slightly better assets one at a time.

Bit like the whole paper clip into a house thing

Ross "We like our team" Atkins.
God I hate him,

Thank christ the raptors have at least a compentent GM/VP combo.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Didn't Bergevin do a press conference every 2 weeks? We rarely hear from Hughes.
I like the Hughes method better, I'd rather just get one if there's something worthwhile to talk about, plus a general start-middle-end of season presser like this one. It's not like the sport media people have any thought provoking questions to ask anyway, it's all a gimmick to fill some air time.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
God I hate him,

Thank christ the raptors have at least a compentent GM/VP combo.
The guy is on his way to waste Vlad and Bo prime, I mean they are not HOF players but they are very good pieces. The funny thing is the fans blame Vlad but there's nobody batting behind him worthy of a spot in the middle of the lineup. Belt was very easy to strike out for a good pitcher.

It's easy for the opponent's pitcher to throw around Bo and Vlad without being afraid of the consequences and it's hard for Bo and Vlad to be patient at plate knowing getting on base with a BB wont be enough since the guys behind can't hit even if their life would depend on it.

Trading Moreno and Gurriel for Varsho was such an awful trade it's hard to comprehend what the GM was thinking when he made it. Varsho had only one good season and he was 26 and he was trading one of the best catcher prospect in baseball as well as a LF with equivalent offensive stats in career.

I like the Hughes method better, I'd rather just get one if there's something worthwhile to talk about, plus a general start-middle-end of season presser like this one. It's not like the sport media people have any thought provoking questions to ask anyway, it's all a gimmick to fill some air time.
I think a mid season presser is kind of inevitable. Even if there's nothing to say i'm not sure i would like the GM to spend an entire year without saying anything. One presser in January and another one after the deadline and one at the end of the season is fine with me even if there's not much to say.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
In terms of the defense, the fact that players are developing well in Laval gives him a longer runway to figure out the long term defense situation. They don't have a gun to their head at the moment but if there is an opportunity like Romanov they will do it, but there is no urgency right now because players are progressing well everywhere.

He was asked about having a PPG player etc..

He said he always points out Patrice Bergeron who wasnt a PPG player but is a HOF, so he doesn't necessarily look at it like that. He is looking to "rebalance the ledger" as they have a lot of depth in terms of "B prospects" and will use that to add high end talent.

The words in quotes are his words exactly.
Feels like we've heard that a lot over the past few decades with this team.

As far as cup winners go though, here are the teams since the lockout who didn't have a point per game (or essentially point per game) player on them:

St. Louis (2019)
LA (2014)
LA (2012)
Boston (2011)

ROR had 77 in 82, and then the others were during the modern DPE, with teams featuring Bergeron and Kopitar.

I love Suzuki but he certainly isn't prime Bergeron, Kopitar, or ROR. We need talent above all else, and I'm not sure I believe in this management team to get it.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
Feels like we've heard that a lot over the past few decades with this team.

As far as cup winners go though, here are the teams since the lockout who didn't have a point per game (or essentially point per game) player on them:

St. Louis (2019)
LA (2014)
LA (2012)
Boston (2011)

ROR had 77 in 82, and then the others were during the modern DPE, with teams featuring Bergeron and Kopitar.

I love Suzuki but he certainly isn't prime Bergeron, Kopitar, or ROR. We need talent above all else, and I'm not sure I believe in this management team to get it.

is the modern dead puck era a thing, now? I've never seen anyone say that before

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
is the modern dead puck era a thing, now? I've never seen anyone say that before

It was a brief period when goal scoring was down considerably from the post-2005 lockout era, but it was also some of the best hockey ever played so the “dead” part is always up for debate.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Monahan to a long term deal will be his 2nd contract mistake behind Allen
Fortunately he's not going to do that. Same ole same ole when it comes to a Hughes' Press conferences.
The media try to tie him down and he just keeps on cutting the ropes with his open ended answers.
If Hughes was a quarterback he'd use the RPO option as much as possible.
Bring on the second half... :popcorn:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad